When should I stop bulking?

Options
I am currently bulking and have a few more months to go,but lately ive been feeling like I got so big😂. Should I just finish these last months or should I just go on a mini cut then continue to bulk? I dont know what to do😭

Replies

• Drypotato
    Drypotato Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That was me last month when I lost just about all my an visibility. I did a mini cut for 2 weeks and got back the upper abs. Then I bulked back up for 3 weeks, now I’m on my final cut. I honestly kinda wish I had just started my final cut back then because I ended up getting some love handles in the last bulk. I had to end my bulk 5lbs sooner than planes because I got scared my love handles would keep growing.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    How long have you been bulking? What are your stats? How much have you gained? What kind of progress have you made?

Since you are female I would try not to get too high above 25%, generally (this also depends on your goals and how lean you want to be and how much time you have to cut). Basically if you feel like your bodyfat is getting too high and you feel like losing the fat will be overwhelming, especially if you are gaining in all the places you don't want to, if you feel your hunger signals are really low (you aren't hungry anymore, getting your calories in is way too difficult, you start to develop taste aversions even to highly palatable foods etc.) you may want to take a break from bulking and do a mini-cut if you aren't at your goal yet.

• manowarrule2003
    manowarrule2003 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This is a really good question. I mean.... Its all down to personal preference?
  • sardelsa
    Options

I mean, it depends on your goals. But the higher you get in bodyfat the worse nutrient partitioning becomes, so you tend to put on less and less muscle and more fat. Then it becomes more uncomfortable and harder to cut. Unless you are a bodybuilder prepping for a show and have more strict timelines, you do have more flexibility for sure
  • manowarrule2003
    manowarrule2003 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Nice thanks
  • trey52424
    trey52424 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so very much😘
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I mean, it depends on your goals. But the higher you get in bodyfat the worse nutrient partitioning becomes, so you tend to put on less and less muscle and more fat. Then it becomes more uncomfortable and harder to cut. Unless you are a bodybuilder prepping for a show and have more strict timelines, you do have more flexibility for sure

A great primer on what @sardelsa is talking about (P-ratio) can be found here - worth a read: https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/calorie-partitioning-part-1.html/
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    When you get too fat. Should have lean bulked...
  • Justbeck101
    Justbeck101 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Listen to some of Mike Matthews podcasts on bulking and cutting. They have very good information in them
  • knap_123
    knap_123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For me, cut till you see abs. Bulk till you barely see abs and some giggle. Then cut again! This is a back and forth cycle that averages a few months either way.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    knap_123 wrote: »
    For me, cut till you see abs. Bulk till you barely see abs and some giggle. Then cut again! This is a back and forth cycle that averages a few months either way.

Depending on your muscle base, genetics and if you are male or female abs can be very difficult to achieve! If I cut until I see actual abs I would probably end up at an unhealthy bodyfat or weight.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Dreamer bulk it. Gotta experience it at least once.
  • trey52424
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    knap_123 wrote: »

Depending on your muscle base, genetics and if you are male or female abs can be very difficult to achieve! If I cut until I see actual abs I would probably end up at an unhealthy bodyfat or weight.

Yes same for me😣
  • trey52424
    Options
    When you get too fat. Should have lean bulked...

I am lean bulking.I have been for a while but I was gonna go on a cut in a couple of months but idk.
  • salute7
    salute7 Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Post edited by Salute