(LADIES ONLY!) What do ya do when you're overly hungry because of that time of the month?

Options
So, I find I begin to overeat when that red moon shines so I was wondering if anyone has any tips for dealing with the challenge of not going over your required calories for the day? Much love!

Replies

• witchgalraye
    witchgalraye Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I eat at maintenance for a few days if I feel like I need to. No gain/loss, and it keeps me from going completely off the deep end.

Hey @pinuplove! Thanks for the reply! Could you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by maintenance?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat enough, and well, every day, so your period, or any other time/situation for that matter, doesn't become the point where can't restrict anymore, and lose control. Whenever you have to repair the damage from undereating, you run the risk of doing even more damage.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I eat at maintenance for a few days if I feel like I need to. No gain/loss, and it keeps me from going completely off the deep end.

Hey pinuplove! Thanks for the reply! Could you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by maintenance?

Sure! Maintenance is simply the number is calories you could eat to maintain your current weight with no gain or loss.

If you have MFP set to lose 2 pounds a week, your daily deficit is 1000 calories (assuming MFP had calculated your maintenance somewhat accurately based on the info you input and you haven't hit the 1200 calorie floor). So your can eat 1000 calories more than your daily goal in MFP and not expect to gain fat ('weight' is more complicated, due to water and waste fluctuations). If you're set to lose 1 pound per week, the number is 500, and 250 for 1/2 pound per week.
  • witchgalraye
    Options

Hey pinuplove! Thanks for the reply! Could you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by maintenance?

Sure! Maintenance is simply the number is calories you could eat to maintain your current weight with no gain or loss.

If you have MFP set to lose 2 pounds a week, your daily deficit is 1000 calories (assuming MFP had calculated your maintenance somewhat accurately based on the info you input and you haven't hit the 1200 calorie floor). So your can eat 1000 calories more than your daily goal in MFP and not expect to gain fat ('weight' is more complicated, due to water and waste fluctuations). If you're set to lose 1 pound per week, the number is 500, and 250 for 1/2 pound per week.

Ah! Thank you for the info! It's really helpful! I appreciate it! <3
  • witchgalraye
    Options
    Make sure you eat enough, and well, every day, so your period, or any other time/situation for that matter, doesn't become the point where can't restrict anymore, and lose control. Whenever you have to repair the damage from undereating, you run the risk of doing even more damage.

Very insightful, thank you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I also eat at maintenance for a few days premenstrually and during my two Niagara Falls days.
  • JinnBee
    JinnBee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I eat at (or closer to) maintenance for a couple of days, too. That works well for me, and keeps me happy!
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Maintenance for me too, I crave chocolate and crisps so I've started buying low fat crisps and small chocolate bars or biscuits and just building it in.
  • MiaisMIAinMiami
    MiaisMIAinMiami Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bananas with some peanut butter *usually* takes care of my sweetness cravings without wrecking everything. Also, as other posters have said, I let myself go closer to maintenance. I can make up for it the week before and after if I really feel like I need to.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I ate. I ate some of the things I craved. And then I did NOT force myself to eat "all my calories" the next few days when I had no real appetite.
  • Ayehmwhy
    Ayehmwhy Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, definitely allowing myself to eat at maintenance helps on those ravenous days
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I tend to crave salt and starch at that point. Sometimes pudding, but dairy occasionally makes me cramp up if it's a bad TOM. I mostly let my macro goals fall by the wayside and indulge my cravings within my calories.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I tend to crave salt and starch at that point. Sometimes pudding, but dairy occasionally makes me cramp up if it's a bad TOM. I mostly let my macro goals fall by the wayside and indulge my cravings within my calories.

Oh, I do that too. All the carbs!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I found that adding an extra 100-200 calories to get to my maintainence level kept me more satisfied. I have even gone 100 over my calculated maintainece and still had my weight stay the same after my cycle.
  • meagan8376
    meagan8376 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I keep my calories low the next day.
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I do what a few others have said - eat at maintenance and maybe try to get more exercise activities in so I can eat even more :D and keeping busy means less time to put food in my mouth haha