Do avocados make you fat?

Options
I usually prefer high-fibre foods in the morning such as oats with some strawberries as I'm trying to eat as little refined sugars as possible. However, I'm trying to add a little variety and maybe eat two slices of brown whole grain bread with an avocado which I know will fill me up for a long time as they're both rich in fibre, but I'm worried avocados may make me balloon. Help!

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Eating anything to excess might make you gain weight. Especially calorie dense things.

But eating too many avocado's might give you an @Avocado_AS5 What harm or good there is in that, you would have to ask her.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    By itself, no. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat (if that is what you are wondering). If eating that avocado adds a calorie surplus to your diet, then it can. But if it does not, it won't.
  • FENIX37
    FENIX37 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Eating 3 stone of avacado will
  • MaverickDML
    MaverickDML Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, but eating in deficit isn't just the only goal of mine. I want quality calories from highly nutritious foods that will do my body good.

You should still lose weight even if you eat KFC and Pizza Hut as long the calories are in deficit, right? But is it a good idea?
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Eating anything to excess might make you gain weight. Especially calorie dense things.

But eating too many avocado's might give you an @Avocado_AS5 What harm or good there is in that, you would have to ask her.

*looks around

Am I in Chit Chat?
    I'm lost! 🤣

But for real, avocado asss just means it's the good kind of fat. 😉🥑
  • eosborne
    eosborne Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I recently went to the doctor and told him I was gaining weight. I thought that by eating healthier foods I was doing ok. well come to find out I wasn't. Its all about the calories in an calories out. He told me to cut out the nuts and avocados. It depends on what your trying to accomplish. If I am trying to lose weight I need to make sure I keep to 1200 calories to lose the weight I want. If I am trying to eat healthier then eating avocados and nuts are fine. Avocados are high in calories but great for your cholesterol vitamins and fiber among other things. They are great for nutrition. But my goal is to lose some of the weight I have been gaining and for that purpose I need to cut out nuts and avocados. After I lose the weight I can go back to a maintenance calorie intake and can incorporate nuts and avocados watching the total calories I take in. Its also how what you eat in your calorie deficit. You can eat avocados but you have to think about the amount of calories you can have a day, and what foods you can eat to meet the calorie intake for the day . You can eat what ever you want but its how you eat it. If you ate Mcdonalds or KFC then first you'll probably go over the goal or you may only be able to eat that meal for the entire day but then you have to also think about was it healthy for for even though you ate in deficit. You can lose the weight and still have a heart attack or health problem because of the quality of the food. SO its choices
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Ecque wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, but eating in deficit isn't just the only goal of mine. I want quality calories from highly nutritious foods that will do my body good.

You should still lose weight even if you eat KFC and Pizza Hut as long the calories are in deficit, right? But is it a good idea?

But you asked if avocados make you fat. Excess calories make you fat, regardless of what food they come from.

As far as health, if I'm understanding correctly, are you saying avocados aren't nutritious food? Why do you think that? It's a vegetable.

And there's nothing wrong with having KFC every once and awhile. You can still eat plenty of nutritious food and have some fried chicken.

No one said avocados aren't nutritious. It may be a vegetable but the body processes it as a fat.
    It is highly caloric and cannot be eaten endlessly or weight gain can be expected.
    Wise though to fit it into your caloric daily accounts!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

But you asked if avocados make you fat. Excess calories make you fat, regardless of what food they come from.

As far as health, if I'm understanding correctly, are you saying avocados aren't nutritious food? Why do you think that? It's a vegetable.

And there's nothing wrong with having KFC every once and awhile. You can still eat plenty of nutritious food and have some fried chicken.

No one said avocados aren't nutritious. It may be a vegetable but the body processes it as a fat.
    It is highly caloric and cannot be eaten endlessly or weight gain can be expected.
    Wise though to fit it into your caloric daily accounts!

I kind of thought that was what OP was getting at in their reply, but I guess I might be reading it wrong. Regardless, nothing can be eaten endlessly. Yes you have to stick to your calorie limit.
  • stfpa
    stfpa Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Not to be a smart *kitten* but I think eating kfc and Pizza Hut but staying in a calorie deficit is a better idea than being overweight/obese (which definitely has more health risks)

But no avocado won’t make you fat. It is higher in calories than some other “healthy” food though so I don’t really eat it much because I’d rather eat something else :smile:
  • knavarro2015
    knavarro2015 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have avocado toast with 1/4 avocado everyday! I also have almonds. Both have the healthy fat your body needs!!! Just don't eat 100 avocados :) and a jar of nuts!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I love avocados, and I'm not fat.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You get fat by eating excess calories. It doesn't matter where those calories come from. If you like avocados, eat them, but don't eat excess calories over the course of your day and you won't get fat.