i gained 10 lbs?

Options
mayaxolson
mayaxolson Posts: 7 Member
i’m actually so confused haha i weighed in at 118.5 yesterday and i weighed myself this morning and i’m 128? yesterday i only ate 1,100 calories( in healthy food )and i did a workout plus a 4 mile run. i’ve been eating well this whole week as well. can anyone explain this?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating so little?
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,717 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Water retention? Remaining food still in your digestive system? Scale needs new batteries?
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Water retention? Remaining food still in your digestive system? Scale needs new batteries?

That's my guess, mine always has low readings when the battery starts dying.

The SO was thrilled until I put new ones in :D
  • mayaxolson
    edited August 2018
    Options

ythannah wrote: »

That's my guess, mine always has low readings when the battery starts dying.

The SO was thrilled until I put new ones in :D

i tried a different scale too and it read the same lol
  • mayaxolson
    Options
    10 pounds sounds too much for an overnight gain, even from water i dont think. are you wearing more clothes today that could of attributed to the extra weight?
    i was wearing the same clothes as i did yesterday, when i weighed 118

• mayaxolson
    Options
    i woke up pretty late so i wasn’t very hungry haha
  • mayaxolson
    Options
    Probably need to poo.
    i weigh myself every morning after i use the bathroom so i don’t think that was the case
  • mayaxolson
    Options

mayaxolson wrote: »
    i’m actually so confused haha i weighed in at 118.5 yesterday and i weighed myself this morning and i’m 128? yesterday i only ate 1,100 calories( in healthy food )and i did a workout plus a 4 mile run. i’ve been eating well this whole week as well. can anyone explain this?

update: i tried a different scale and it still read the same
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    i woke up pretty late so i wasn’t very hungry haha

How much do you normally eat?
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    zudaycmcvpq8.png

Here's a chart I was keeping some time ago. . Note the wild fluctuations in actual weight from a day to day basis. I don't pretend to fully understand this, but the point is, that if you live and die by your daily weight fluctuations, you'll lose sight of what's important and that's the overall trend.

As for your 10 lb overnight weight gain, there is an explanation other than you suddenly put on 10lbs of fat (35,000 calories). . (Unless you got up and ate 3.5 gallons of ice-cream).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    10 pounds sounds too much for an overnight gain, even from water i dont think. are you wearing more clothes today that could of attributed to the extra weight?

lets just hope its water retention. either way its never accurate weighing the next day. try again next week at the same time same conditions i.e. waking up, after brushing teeth, after poo, nekkid. at 5am

Why is weighing every day not accurate? More data surely gives you a better idea about what your weight does?

OP, is your scale on a hard, level surface?
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Probably need to poo.

how big are your poos ? .... 10lbs is a 4.5kg poo ? ..... the equivalent to 4.5ltrs of water thats more than 2 large 2l bottles of coke ... thats 20 x 8oz steaks

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

lets just hope its water retention. either way its never accurate weighing the next day. try again next week at the same time same conditions i.e. waking up, after brushing teeth, after poo, nekkid. at 5am

Why is weighing every day not accurate? More data surely gives you a better idea about what your weight does?

cause i can weigh 140 today, eat a high sodium bowl of ramen and drink 4 cups of water ending the day with only 2k calories, and tomorrow ill be 145. 3500 = 1 pound. i would of had to consume 17,500 calories on top of maintenance to gain that 5 legit pounds the next day

it takes a few days for ur weight to equalize out after meals.

u CAN weigh yourself everyday, but only if u plan to take the average of it at the end of the week

But your weekly weigh ins could be affected in exactly the same way. An average of daily weighing would be a better indicator of your weight than one number from weighing inonce a week.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

cause i can weigh 140 today, eat a high sodium bowl of ramen and drink 4 cups of water ending the day with only 2k calories, and tomorrow ill be 145. 3500 = 1 pound. i would of had to consume 17,500 calories on top of maintenance to gain that 5 legit pounds the next day

it takes a few days for ur weight to equalize out after meals.

u CAN weigh yourself everyday, but only if u plan to take the average of it at the end of the week

But your weekly weigh ins could be affected in exactly the same way. An average of daily weighing would be a better indicator of your weight than one number from weighing inonce a week.

^^this. What if you get a low fluctuation one week, then a high fluctuation the next week?. .You aren't getting an accurate representation of your progress at all doing it this way. There's a thought process that weighing once a week is better so that the focus is taken off the weight and shifted to how we feel or look or fit in our clothes, etc. .i.e it's a psychological reason. This is a good idea for many. But it's not a scientific way of measuring weight-loss. It's to help people not lose faith when they are really disciplined and the scale still goes up. .

The diet industry has conditioned people to believe that they can gain or lose huge amounts of fat over the course of days or weeks. It's just not true. They perpetuate this myth by manipulating these fluctuations based on water and factors other than fat that drive our weight up.

If you want an accurate measure of your fat-loss progress, you need to weigh every day and monitor the trend.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    Probably need to poo.

how big are your poos ? .... 10lbs is a 4.5kg poo ? ..... the equivalent to 4.5ltrs of water thats more than 2 large 2l bottles of coke ... thats 20 x 8oz steaks

Pshhhh.....like I'm really gonna talk about my poo on here.
    😆💩
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    Probably need to poo.

Pshhhh.....like I'm really gonna talk about my poo on here.
    😆💩

But that's why I...

wait for it...

wait for it...

are ya ready...

here we go...

came!
  • mayaxolson
    Options
    Change your batteries in your scale, they could be dying. Also make sure to weigh yourself in the exact same spot every time for accuracy.

yeah i don’t think the scales the problem, i tried two different scales both on flat surfaces
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Change your batteries in your scale, they could be dying. Also make sure to weigh yourself in the exact same spot every time for accuracy.

yeah i don’t think the scales the problem, i tried two different scales both on flat surfaces

So it's a normal water weight fluctuation. If it was fat then your clothes wouldn't fit any more.