Plantar Fasciitis & wobbly patella help!

Options
dolcezza25
dolcezza25 Posts: 136 Member
edited August 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I was recently diagnosed with PF after taking up running. Apparently, for years and years I've had weak ankles and extremely tight calves - the running just tipped me over the edge - and it was painful.

The wobbly patellas I've had for years and generally do not bother me until I do high impact exercise. My doctor has said that doing PT is fine for now, but I may want to see a orthopedic surgeon while I'm still young and healthy, if I see no improvement.

Anyway, I took it upon myself, and I've been seeing a PT for about a month now (2x a week) but the $40/week in copays are starting to frustrate me. The PT gives great calf massages, but he has me doing the same exercises over and over - and I'm kind of wondering if this is something I can do on my own, and save my $.

I've listed the exercises he has me doing below. I'd appreciate any additional recommendations from my MFP buddies! I'm not interested in orthotics at this point, and my GP and PT are fine with that. I'm looking to fix the root cause - and not just ease the symptoms.

4 way ankle stretches w/ resistance bands
stretching calves on a wedge
towel grabs
balancing on balance board
balancing on foam block
one leg step up balance on stepper
one leg hang on stepper

clam shell w/ resistance bands
bridges w/ resistance bands
lateral walking squats w/ resistance bands
leg raises w/ ankle weights (on my side & on my back)

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    dolcezza25 wrote: »
    I'm looking to fix the root cause - and not just ease the symptoms.

PF usually has one of two causes, arch degeneration, or an overly tight arch. Do you have high or flat foot arches? If you're unsure, check google for how to find your arch type.
  • dolcezza25
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I'm looking to fix the root cause - and not just ease the symptoms.

PF usually has one of two causes, arch degeneration, or an overly tight arch. Do you have high or flat foot arches? If you're unsure, check google for how to find your arch type.

I don't. Mine are caused by tight/shortened calves. I guess I'm unusual.
  • lady9mile
    lady9mile Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My PF lasted a whole summer. I have high arches. I stretched everyday. Then I went to a chiropractor who got my lower back and hip in place and the PF went away. Must have had something "off" in the spine that was pulling all the way to my feet.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I don't. Mine are caused by tight/shortened calves. I guess I'm unusual.

Massage is helpful, but the number one way to lengthen & relax the calves is frequent stretching. Ideally hourly, because muscles have a short "memory", and for a minimum of 30 seconds. Using a reminder app can help build the habit.
    Stretching the arch usually helps PF too.

A night splint helps stretch the calves while you sleep, which is when they naturally shorten. Choose one that adjusts to angles less than 90 degrees, like this:
    amazon.com/Adjustable-Plantar-Fasciitis-Splint-Medium/dp/B006L8N71Y
    You can buy one unit and switch feet each night.

The other important thing is to stop wearing shoes with a raised heel, which 90% of shoes have. This "plantarflexed" position shortens the calves and makes them work harder than normal.. even with a slight heel like some flats and sandals have. Good "zero heel" shoes include Keds, Vans, Converse, skateboard shoes, Altras, etc. Watch for Achilles strain when making the transition.
    A raised heel is fine for running by the way.

You can massage your calves with your thumbs.. or use a foam roller.. or roll them with The Stick from any running store. :+1:
  • dolcezza25
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, Cherimoose!

• Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I use inserts in my daily shoes (don’t use them at the gym) and they are made for PF and are guaranteed/warrantied for life. I got them at The Good Feet Store. Your insurance may not cover them, but they are about $300/pair and again guaranteed for life. They will replace them for free if they ever break or are damaged.

I also have weak ankles and rolled one of my ankles about two years ago. Only thing that helped that (and also has helped PF) is collagen peptides. I take it every day and I can feel the difference if I miss a few days. It helps with joints too so if you have any other aches/pains, it might make those feel better. I use this brand: https://www.amazon.com/Collagen-Peptides-Grass-Fed-Certified-Friendly/dp/B00XQ2XGAA?crid=2ILSTBBARYBIV&keywords=collagen+peptides&qid=1534204428&sprefix=collagen&sr=8-3&ref=mp_s_a_1_3
  • dolcezza25
    Options
    Thanks, Sarah. I was literally looking at collagen peptides on Amazon.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Hey dolcezza,
    I am a former adult soccer player and 30-miles a week runner.
    I cannot comment on your knees or the exercises you have been given. But I am wondering why you would trust unqualified strangers over a professional who has actually examined you, despite the cost.
    That said: I have had PF, off and on, for many years. You can and should buy insoles. But I don't think you need expensive insoles from the Good Feet Store. I have used Superfeet insoles, which just about every running shoe store carries, and they work extremely well. I have used them in my soccer shoes, my running shoes, even my dress shoes when the PF has been really bad.
    They have made a huge difference in helping me to resolve my pain.
    Put a pair in every pair of shoes you have and don't go barefoot or without them until your pain starts to resolve. AND stretch, stretch, stretch the bottom of your feet.
    Good luck
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Does your therapist do active release therapy (ART)? It's where they go in & use like a smooth butter knife & rub it in the arch. That's the only thing that helped me.
  • dolcezza25
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Hey dolcezza, I cannot comment on your knees or the exercises you have been given. But I am wondering why you would trust unqualified strangers over a professional who has actually examined you, despite the cost.

I'm not discounting his exercises, and I continue to do them, but the cost is becoming an issue for me. If you don't have the money, you don't have the money, you know? I will look into the insoles you recommended though. Thank you.

• dolcezza25
    edited August 2018
    Options
    JBApplebee wrote: »
    Does your therapist do active release therapy (ART)? It's where they go in & use like a smooth butter knife & rub it in the arch. That's the only thing that helped me.

Yes. He rubs it on my Achilles, and boy does it sting!

• poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My PF was bad enough that at night, I'd have to crawl to the bathroom, I couldn't stand without 10 minutes of stretching. I saw a podiatrist, got a shot of cortisone in each heel, and changed my shoes. Haven't had a problem since. BUT, mine was caused by repeated injury... read that as going barefoot and stepping on too many roots, stones, and cut short saplings, then coupled with wearing horrible shoes. I never allowed the bruising to heal. So you might not want orthotics, but you should definitely look into your footware!
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I had PF 2 years ago and the insoles, cortisone shots, PT, etc. didn't work for me. I ended up having surgery in Feb 2017 and was back to jogging about 3-4 months later. I started feeling twinges of PF again recently, and bought some Hoka One One running shoes. I have not had any problems since. (My previous running shoes were Brooks Ghost with custom insoles, so they were technically "good" shoes.)

Point being I love my Hokas! They are the Clifton 5, I believe.
    Also, never walk around barefoot. I ordered some Crocs flip-flops to wear around the house, and try to never be without good shoes. I got rid of all my flat (cute) sandals, and wear orthotic granny shoes most of the time. I'm 43 :)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    So I have nothing to say on the PF side of things because I have no experience with those issues. That said, on the knee side my general thought is that you either a. need to find a new PT - preferably one who specializes in the sports medicine side of PT and/or b. you need to find the root cause of your knee issues which is going to likely mean going to an orthopedic surgeon (which does not mean surgery now).

I'm not going to give you the list of exercises my PT has given me other the months that I've seen her (they might not help you and it's too long a list), but suffice to say, if you're only doing the ones that you've listed and have seen absolutely no changes then there's an issue. Also, you said yourself that you wanted to find the root cause and that that would likely mean going to an ortho. I would seriously just go that route now. That way you can hopefully get an actual diagnosis and figure out where to go there. A diagnosis will likely also guide the way PT ends up being structured as well.
  • dolcezza25
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Also, you said yourself that you wanted to find the root cause and that that would likely mean going to an ortho. I would seriously just go that route now. That way you can hopefully get an actual diagnosis and figure out where to go there. A diagnosis will likely also guide the way PT ends up being structured as well.

I didn't think of it that way, but what you say makes sense. Thank you :-)