I gave my body a makeover, now what do I do with my hair?

Options
CoryIda
CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
So, I met my goal weight (100 pounds GONE forever!) a couple of weeks ago and, as you can see below, have already given my body a “makeover.” :smile:

006-1.jpg

Now it’s time to “makeover” the rest of me and I’m starting with my hair. I had an appointment scheduled for last weekend but had a bit of a panic issue because I don’t want to end up with awful hair to go with my new, vastly improved figure so I rescheduled it for the end of the month to both gather my courage AND get some advice.

Can you help me????

I have a heart shaped face and thick, curly natural reddish brown hair. I need something pretty low maintenance since I do not – and will not – take the time to straighten it every day OR blow dry it. I want something that flatters my face and maybe camouflages my pointy chin somewhat…

What do you think I should do with it? I would like to keep the color because I like it but would be willing to try highlights or lowlights and want to try a new style, but I just don’t know what do go for.

This is what it looks like from the front:
2193703_4956.jpg

And the back:
003-1.jpg

Can you give me some suggestions/ideas? Do you think I should just leave it alone or get it trimmed? I like my hair, but I sort of want something new to go with the rest of the “new me.”

Thank you!

Replies

• bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You look lovely!

I think you would look smashing in a wavy bob style!

I've read that women that have heart shaped faces are very fortunate when it comes to hairstyles. The most complimentary hairdo for a heart-shaped face is to have the hair full at the jaw line, with a center or slightly off-center part, with slanted bangs.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I say a short layered look... very in right now
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I was going to say a wavy bob also.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Omg you look amazing! SO inspirational! I would suggest a short bob hair cut, or maybe keeping long length, and doing side bangs and layers. I always find it helpful to bring in a pic. :)
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    Congrats on your loss!!

I was thinking you could get something like a keratin treatment and it will be straight, lasts for months and very low maintaince.
    Maybe a nice dark chestnut brown? or go even redder ?

i love the lenght but a trim might be good like choppy long layer through out.

Congrats again!
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    First of all.... CONGRATULATIONS on losing over 100lbs!!! That is awesome and an inspiration!!

As for your hair... I'm no expert, but... maybe just start out small and a few inches cut off (a little longer than shoulder length) and some layers put in. That will give it a more defined style, and yet still be long enough to pull pack into a pony tail. Buy a few hairstyle magazines... there are tons out there.... and cut out some pictures of what you like (both style and color), and then talk with your stylist for their recommendation.

Good Luck... and post some pics after you get it done.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I agree, you have the perfect face for a wavy bob.
  • jgaht
    jgaht Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    YAY for you!! As a naturally curly girl myself ( who fought my curls for YEARS), I am happy to tell you I have a fabulous solution! Have you ever heard of DevaCurl? It's a specific type of hair cut and product line. The creator, Lorraine Massey, is a curl-girl herself and preaches the curly life style.

First, you want a devacut. A Devacut is a special type of cut in which the stylist cuts your curls dry. That makes sense, right? Curly hair has a huge spring factor! Stylists that cut our hair wet have no idea what it's going to look like in the end. When they fix our hair and cut it dry, we know exactly what we're getting at exactly which length. The stylist will cut your curls one by one so that they lay appropriately.

Please, do yourself a huge favor and visit mydevacurl.com. They have a special place where you can look up a certified devastylist in your area. It's going to be a little pricey, but well worth it! I also use the product line. I went without it for a long time, and my hair looked good. Now, with the products, my hair looks its best ever! No more fighting it in the AM.

I was my hair once every 3 days. There's a routine you do the first morning that takes about 5 minutes post-shower + the amount of time it takes to defuse/let your hair air-dry.

Sorry this is so long. You'd think these people pay me, but unfortunately, they don't. From one curly-girl to another, do yourself a huge favor and find a devastylist. You will not regret it.

Message me if you want anymore details. If you do get a devacut, please post before and afters. I'm excited just thinking about how much you'll love your hair after! :-D
  • jgaht
    jgaht Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss!!

I was thinking you could get something like a keratin treatment and it will be straight, lasts for months and very low maintaince.

Congrats again!

Please, do NOT get a keratin treatment. It's horrible for curly hair. Does it straighten for a little while? Yes. However, there are horrific pictures of it growing out. After the keratin treatment, your curls are completely dehydrated. Embrace the natural curl!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss!!

Congrats again!

Please, do NOT get a keratin treatment. It's horrible for curly hair. Does it straighten for a little while? Yes. However, there are horrific pictures of it growing out. After the keratin treatment, your curls are completely dehydrated. Embrace the natural curl!
    I don't have the $$ for a keratin treatment and my hubby prefers my hair curly anyway.
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i love love love long hair... you would look fab with straight hair! :)
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    Congrats on your loss!!

Congrats again!

I suggested this b/c i have pretty wild and curly hair. my hair is shiney, healthy, frizz free and i have grown it out several times and it's fine. i have done the treatment several times over the years w no problems and a few of my girlfriends w curls have never had a problem either.

Nothing is wrong w curly hair I was just suggesting something completely different for a change. If going straight isn't for you then this is super easy like a bed head look:

http://long-haircuts.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/long-curly-layered.jpg
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If you cut off 11in you can donate it to Locks of Love.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    As a fellow thic and curly haired lady, I have to say -- the best haircut I ever got was a "curly girl" cut. It was expensive, but so worth while. Some salons sens stylists to get trained special for curly/wavy hair. You got to the salon with your hair "done" so that they can see your natural wave/curl pattern. Then, they cut you dry based on your face shape and how your hair falls naturally. The next part of the appointment is "education" -- how to take care of your curls, the best way to make them behave, what will work with your schedule, etc. There can be a lot of product pushing in this part, but from my experience the product was worth it!

You can find a trained stylist near you using this website:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/topics/view/stylist-salon-finder

And I agree with everyone else --- a wavy bob would be ADORABLE!
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    A cute little pixie cut would look great on you! I have always wanted one but not right for my face!
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Im a long hair type of gal myself and honestly have hair very similar to yours! Dont touch it, its GORGEOUS! I dont even go to a hairdresser anymore, I just have my hunny lop an inch off every now and then.
  • kristyklein8
    Options
    I agree with what most people are saying. Chop off a several inches so that it's chin length or a little longer. Don't know much about curly hair myself but completely agree with the girl that mentioned getting a dry cut. I have straight, thick hair and get a dry cut first too. It makes it so much easier to see what the end result is going to be without any surprises, specially when it comes to bangs...which I think you would look great with too. If you do decide for color, I think a richer red would look great on you (think Marcia Cross from Desperate Housewives). Congrats and enjoy the rest of your transformation!!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I think a bob would look great with your facial structure. I agree you NEED to make sure you get a stylist that knows how to work with curly hair.

I personally go to a salon school out here due to expense but make sure my fav teacher is there who used to work and teach for Toni & Guy. I get a signature Toni & Guy Tribeca cut, Modified into an A-line (longer in front shorter in back) for $17. I know trusting students isnt for everyone! But its the point of getting the right cut for your natural curl. I have warn so many style I know to tell a stylist to cut it atleast 1-1.5 inches longer then I want it to be dry for my curls. Ill need to post new pics because I went into a more dramatic A-line as my hair has grown out but it keeps the weight off your neck and still gives me the face framing layers I need.

I also get headaches when my hair is too ehavy. I used to toerate (and medicate) because I dont like my hair much above my shoulders but I love this cut, Edgy and modern but SUPER easy for me as a mom. The shortest layer at the nape of my neck is 1.25 inches long (so I wouldnt need to buy a new flat iron) and it curls perfectly without being a poodle
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Either a really chic assymetrical bob (google!) that starts at your chin and then one side goes down a few inches....or, just chop off several inches and get layers and bangs.