How to log in CHEAT meals???

Options
So I've posted this thread before...and the response was not enlightening. My question is how do you log in cheat meals that you have NO idea the calorie content???

I'm not talking at a restaurant that has the nutritional menus but places that don't or family dinners? Do you log them in as best you can or just don't log in at all??? Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I log them in as best as I can
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I do recipes and then add it from there
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Most things I eat whether cheat or healthy I log based on individual ingredients to the best of my ability...or try to find something that is similar to the description.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Log them as best you can, realize they were just that "a bad meal" and move on! Logging helps when you get stuck, because you can look back and see "oh I ate this many calories" or "My sodium was this much" - also helps you relate to what you are putting into your body once you see the numbers.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I log them in as best as I can

I agree!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I try to get a rough estimate in my head, and then I look for a similar food with a similar calorie count.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    i try to log every possible thing i eat, as close to accurate as i can be
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I do the best to log whatever I can. Especially since having no clue was how I got here in the first place. >,<

Honestly, even at family dinners... MEASURE EVERYTHING. That way, when you go to log... you won't be guessing the portion. You might miss an oil or two from preparation... but close is better than having no clue.
  • maiituu
    maiituu Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    For me I don't, I’m not sure about everyone else but my cheat days are days that I eat things that I want, I usually end up getting sick and don't eat them again for a long time, for example I used to love eating flaming hot cheetoes with salsa and cheese dipping, well lest just say that just thinking about it my stomach starts to hurt.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    If I am CERTAIN it was a crazy amount of calories, I have at times just logged in the "quick calories" as maybe 1,000 calories. Just as a reminder that I went out, it was a crazy dinner, and it is what it is! I've also at times, NOT logged it at all. Not that that's the RIGHT thing to do, but mostly because if I go out for a meal like that, it's usually a Friday or Saturday night and I'm out late, and not thinking about MFP anyway! I think the most important part is to next day get right back on track. :glasses:
  • lguy29
    lguy29 Posts: 131
    Options
    I log them as best as I can. For example, I dont cook dinner at my house. But I have a general idea of what it is. Last night was whole wheat spaghetti, homemade marinara, and coleslaw. I'll check most of my options to see which variation of nutritional value matches the best in my opinion (not necessarily the healthiest option, either!) I think its been a great estimate!

But on days when I go out and I'm not concerned with my calories because I just want to have fun, I dont log. I just acknowledge that I probably ate unhealthy, and I double time it that next day.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I try to break it down.. And be as accurate a possible
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Most things I eat whether cheat or healthy I log based on individual ingredients to the best of my ability...or try to find something that is similar to the description.

I do this^
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I use the "recipe calculator" and do the best I can on ingredients and amounts.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Log the best you can based on what you know was in it and then add additional calories for the stuff you don't know about!
  • Michelle_Iowa
    Michelle_Iowa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I usually just do a "quick calorie add" and overestimate. For instance, sometimes for a whole day I just do "quick calorie add" of 2500 calories and call it good.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I log every little thing that I put in the meal or that I could tell was in it... I do the best I can.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I log it the best way I can. Think about what I ate, and look for comparables online. Like a lot of those local family restaurants would copy things you find at TGI Fridays or similar. I usually over-estimate a little and just try to keep my focus.

There is a good list of restaurants here, but it's not complete. It can help guide you a little though, so you can plan.

http://www.dwlz.com/restaurants.html

She's focused on weight watchers, but usually provides calories too!

GOOD LUCK!
  • piperfiske
    Options
    There's a category called "Generic - Party Food" listed at 700 cal....so I usually put in 1 or 2 of those!! Or 3 or 4....lol
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I do the best to log whatever I can. Especially since having no clue was how I got here in the first place. >,<

Honestly, even at family dinners... MEASURE EVERYTHING. That way, when you go to log... you won't be guessing the portion. You might miss an oil or two from preparation... but close is better than having no clue.

BEST ADVICE I SAW!!! I SECOND THIS! I had no IDEA how much I was eating before I started logging and I thought I was doing good! Once I started keeping track though I realized just how NOT good I was really doing! So guess the best you can. Look up recipes online if you can, or just list all the ingredients you think where in it. And just remember if it was a desert of some sort, there was probably a lot of butter and sugar involved!! LOL. If anything looks buttery, oily, fried, or cheesy it is probably way up there in calories! Most the time anyway.