Stronglifts weight gain

Options
Hi, I was around the 79kg mark for months and I’ve recently gone back to 5x5 stronglifts. I’m around 9/10weeks in and my diet hasn’t changed atall. I seem to always eat in deficit but I’ve gained 3kg in that time! Is this normal?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you're probably eating more and don't realize it. SL doenst make you gain weight, calorie surplus does. And after 9/10 weeks you are past the initial water retention phase, so i doubt its that.
  • SaintSmithy
    SaintSmithy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I’m unsure wether to do cardio to get the weight back off? I’ve read that it can hinder your progress.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Your body will have got past the water weight gains that happen when starting a new workout after this length of time - you say your diet hasn't changed but if you've gained then something has. Are you still weighing your food and tracking every single thing?
  • SaintSmithy
    SaintSmithy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No i did stop doing that a while back and like I say my weight sort of remained the same of around 79-80kg for a long time. I did run and play football a fair bit but since starting stronglifts I wanted to focus on lifting so I haven’t done my usual runs for a while now.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I’m unsure wether to do cardio to get the weight back off? I’ve read that it can hinder your progress.

You could do some cardio or eat a bit less.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options

I don't think cardio would hinder your progress as long as you do something relatively low impact.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    No i did stop doing that a while back and like I say my weight sort of remained the same of around 79-80kg for a long time. I did run and play football a fair bit but since starting stronglifts I wanted to focus on lifting so I haven’t done my usual runs for a while now.

Then, if your diet has not changed, it is more than likely that your calorie burn did leading to your current calorie surplus and weight gain.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

You've literally just solved your own problem.