Throwing in the towel

Options
I really feel like throwing in the towel. I have fluctuated with my weight for years. I would hit my target weight then stop what i was doing and gain it back.

However, any time I wanted to lose I lost...until now. I have been back on the program for 6 weeks and only just 6 ounces. I don't know what I am doing wrong or what to do. It is so disheartening. I was going to go to the gym today but feel like what is the point. It is nearly impossible to stay motivated with little to no progress.

I feel the cloud of depression overtaking me and just don't care. Sorry for such negative post

Replies

• kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    sorry!!! its sucks when you are putting in 100% and not seeing the benefits....it makes you feel why try?
    what is your cal intake? is it accurate? I know when preparing foods from scratch its really hard to be accurate...are u eating enough?

• tjbonsignore23
    tjbonsignore23 Posts: 10 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Yes. I have been tracking everything and every day I am well below my calories. Which is why I am so frustrated. When I say program I mean taking track of everything I eat and exercising. I have wondered if I was too far below my calories.
  • walktalkdog
    walktalkdog Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I really feel like throwing in the towel. I have fluctuated with my weight for years. I would hit my target weight then stop what i was doing and gain it back.

However, any time I wanted to lose I lost...until now. I have been back on the program for 6 weeks and only just 6 ounces. I don't know what I am doing wrong or what to do. It is so disheartening. I was going to go to the gym today but feel like what is the point. It is nearly impossible to stay motivated with little to no progress.

I feel the cloud of depression overtaking me and just don't care. Sorry for such negative post

I think you should still go to the gym. Exercising is good for one's soul regardless of whether or not weigh loss is involved!
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    yes, just keep with it....its a *kitten* and that's all there is to it and there are lots of people here that have been in your shoes. Just know that and keep going.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I take measurements to help me realize that the scale isn't the master. I find even when the weight loss seems like it's moving like a snail on crutches, the tape measure shows success. Good Luck to you, throwing in towel will make you regret it later with probably even more to lose I'm sure.
  • blessedwith3boys
    blessedwith3boys Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! You have just one body, you will have this body your whole life. Even if the scale isn't moving as quickly as you like make other healthy goals like drink more water, exercise longer, less sodium, etc.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is never really veey much fun.

I found when I tracked my food I ate way too much sugar and it would hinder my weight loss. Perhaps you're eating too much sodium too which is easily done.

Keep going to the gym, keep trying, it'll work its worked in the past.
  • gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,115 Member
    Options
    I think one thing is mindset. You may be looking at all this as a diet...diets are temporary. You need to make this a lifestyle change. How you will eat and exercise the rest of your life....you have to burn more than you consume. CICO. Very simple, and yes, not always easy to accomplish unless you have a rock solid plan and stick with it....And remember, you never really fail until you give up.....
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think you are most likely eating more than you think you are. If you recently started working out water retention can mask fat loss.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    kimber0607 wrote: »
    sorry!!! its sucks when you are putting in 100% and not seeing the benefits....it makes you feel why try?
    what is your cal intake? is it accurate? I know when preparing foods from scratch its really hard to be accurate...are u eating enough?

On the contrary, it’s much easier to be accurate when you’re cooking from scratch. Also if he wasn’t eating enough he would still be losing.

OP, I second @L1zardQueen’s suggestion of a food scale. If you aren’t losing you’re eating more than you think.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I will continue to try and lose and see what happens. Thanks again. I can't just settle.

As your working on both eating less and moving more. I think for a little bit of extremely motivation (and to see results), set 2 goals. One, you already have, and that is weight loss. Set an activity goal: cardio or strength (it doesn't matter ) Sometimes the scale is exceedingly frustrating, but realizing that you can do something this month that last month you couldn't is a great way to see progress.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I will continue to try and lose and see what happens. Thanks again. I can't just settle.
    But you can't just do that if your goal is weightloss. If you want to lose weight, you have to make sure you're in a calorie deficit. If you're not losing weight, you're not in a calorie deficit. That means you have to change something. Doing the same you are doing now, will not make you lose weight.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    Losing weight is never really veey much fun.
    This is true. People tend to be very ambitious, and burn out in no time. To succeed, you have to embrace the daily grind, which is quite mundane, neither very strenous nor very exciting.
    I found when I tracked my food I ate way too much sugar and it would hinder my weight loss. Perhaps you're eating too much sodium too which is easily done.
    Nothing hinders weight loss. You either lose weight (fat), because you're in a consistent calorie deficit, or you're not losing weight, because you're not. Water weight fluctuations, that occur because of variations in sugar and sudium intake, along with a range of other reasons, is irrelevant.
    Keep going to the gym, keep trying, it'll work its worked in the past.
    To lose weight, you have to eat less than you burn, but you don't have to exercise, and you don't have to go to the gym to exercise - but you must do, not try. Whatever the OP has done before, what he is doing now, it's not working.
  • ReetaPetite
    ReetaPetite Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    So today is a new day. I dont know where you are in the world but look out the window. Take a breath. Appreciate your surroundings, the fact you are part of this world and have family and friends you can reach out to. (Including MFP friends).

Then today just really revel in one thing you do today. Whether it's taking that biscuit out of the tin, almost putting it in your mouth but then putting it back; making it to the gym and just doing something; cooking one meal from scratch and understanding what you are giving yourself to eat.

These are all choices you make. And just making one 'good' choice and feeling good about that is all you need today.

Focus on the choices you make. Not on external measures of achievement. You will feel better about yourself. Everything else will follow.