Worst woo you ever heard advertised regarding losing weight

Options
13»

Replies

• BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    This was years ago (so no idea if it's still being hawked) but I remember relentless radio ads during late night drives that were trying to sell books about negative calorie foods. When you ate those foods, your body used more calories to digest the food than the food contained. I admit that when I first started hearing those commercials, I was intrigued but just thinking about it a little, I realized how much hogwash it was.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    A family acquaintance recently started plastering her weight loss success all over Facebook (over 22lbs lost in a month!) so I had to investigate what was going on. Turns out there's a local office run by a "healthcare professional" (no mention anywhere on the website of this individual being a doctor) selling some super expensive weight loss plan.

My favorite part was where it says you're not allowed to use any kind of lotion or skincare products because your body will absorb the oil and burn that for energy instead of fat.

/facepalm

I heard the lotion one from when my friend was on the HCG diet.

A few of my friends were on a weight loss cleanse where you alternate specific food groups in certain combinations on certain days resulting in a VLCD, get acupressure treatments designed to stimulate your metabolism and reset your body clock, plus a little intermittent fasting thrown in too. So dangerous. So much woo.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    How freaking annoying. I personally just get really annoyed at all the workout programs that are advertised because they show all these before and afters of people who have lost a bunch of weight, and say things like "lose up to x lbs in x amount of time" and things like that. Like, it's a work out program... those don't make you lose weight, eating less does. :/
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    The four hour body. Just today I googled it and this came up.

You Will Learn (from the book presumably)
    How to prevent fat gain while bingeing (X-mas, holidays, weekends)
    How to increase fat-loss 300% with a few bags of ice
    How Tim gained 34 pounds of muscle in 28 days, without steroids, and in four hours of total gym time
    How to sleep 2 hours per day and feel fully rested
    How to produce 15-minute female orgasms
    How to triple testosterone and double sperm count
    How to go from running 5 kilometers to 50 kilometers in 12 weeks
    How to reverse “permanent” injuries
    How to add 150+ pounds to your lifts in 6 months

I would like to see them double MY sperm count. And 34 pounds of muscle in 28 days with four hours of total gym time. Give me a break. :D:D:D

If I had a 15 minute orgasm my husband would probably call and ambulance because he would think I was having a seizure.

According to the person who posted in the forums today it is a low carb based diet. <shrug>

Oh lol I thought that meant have an orgasm in 15 minutes, not FOR 15 minutes. That doesn't honestly sound very pleasant!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    The four hour body. Just today I googled it and this came up.

You Will Learn (from the book presumably)
    How to prevent fat gain while bingeing (X-mas, holidays, weekends)
    How to increase fat-loss 300% with a few bags of ice
    How Tim gained 34 pounds of muscle in 28 days, without steroids, and in four hours of total gym time
    How to sleep 2 hours per day and feel fully rested
    How to produce 15-minute female orgasms
    How to triple testosterone and double sperm count
    How to go from running 5 kilometers to 50 kilometers in 12 weeks
    How to reverse “permanent” injuries
    How to add 150+ pounds to your lifts in 6 months

I would like to see them double MY sperm count. And 34 pounds of muscle in 28 days with four hours of total gym time. Give me a break. :D:D:D

If I had a 15 minute orgasm my husband would probably call and ambulance because he would think I was having a seizure.

According to the person who posted in the forums today it is a low carb based diet. <shrug>

Oh lol I thought that meant have an orgasm in 15 minutes, not FOR 15 minutes. That doesn't honestly sound very pleasant!

Yeah, that’s quite the claim they’re making, since the average female orgasm lasts 6-20 SECONDS.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    There is one "weight loss clinic" here that says something along the lines of "our unique metabolic testing determines why you have been unsuccessful in dieting before and will reset your metabolism and set you up for success." So much woo in that every time it comes on the radio I have to change the station. My favorite part is that they make it seem like your metabolism is faulty and to blame and of course it is no fault of your own why you can't lose weight, ugh.

Great advertising on their part. I am sure they say that because so many out there want to blame their weight on faulty metabolism instead of their faulty way of eating. Time and time again you hear of slow metabolism as an excuse for obesity.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My favorite part was where it says you're not allowed to use any kind of lotion or skincare products because your body will absorb the oil and burn that for energy instead of fat.
    /facepalm

Made me think of AbFab when she absorbs the mud!
    28nwd7m9r2ge.jpg

• counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    How freaking annoying. I personally just get really annoyed at all the workout programs that are advertised because they show all these before and afters of people who have lost a bunch of weight, and say things like "lose up to x lbs in x amount of time" and things like that. Like, it's a work out program... those don't make you lose weight, eating less does. :/

Well, no. A deficit is all you need to lose weight. As long as the workout program puts you into a deficit then you'll lose weight. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for many people because they start eating more unconsciously. But that doesn't mean it can't work.