Logging in public?

Options
13»

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If it is someplace where I can look at the menu beforehand, I'll choose what I'm going to order and pre-log. That helps me make better decisions when eating at a restaurant in general. If there's no nutritional information online, I'll estimate based on similar dishes at other restaurants. This keeps me on track and prevents me from eating outside of my goals when I go out anyway. It's already logged, so I order, eat, and enjoy and no one knows a thing.

If I do need to log something, sometimes I'll take a picture of it to log later. It's totally not creepy to take pictures of your food.
  • swtcedes21
    swtcedes21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes this happened recently my mom in law asked if I wanted some cashews on top of my salad and I said I have to check and see if it will make over my count. She of course did not understand and I had to tell her no thank you.
  • OddDitty
    OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Simple. If nobody asks, you don't tell. I believe it was Clinton who came up with that one.

If somebody asks, I like the science guy response. Or you can borrow my line: Its my boss asking if I've located the lost pathogen.

Pretty much clears the way at any buffet so I get my pick of the better for me stuff ;)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my circle is and has always been really small.

i have enough food ocd issues that one more added into the mix just gives them something else to smile and shake their heads about.

in other words, no one gives a damn.

that said, i generally log after the fact. i mentally tabulate likely calorie counts in my head while im ordering.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    aidydh wrote: »
    Walter__ wrote: »
    There's no shame in logging in public. I do it all the time.

But just be reasonable. There was once a lady on MFP that made a post about how she'd take her scale to Chipotle, take her burrito apart, weigh every ingredient individually, log it, then put it back together. Lmao. Don't be that lady.

Ha!

I definitely won't be that person. Not sure why the food scale was necessary. Maybe she didn't trust the nutrition information on Chipotle's website.

Probably she didn't trust the employees to measure to exactly the portion that would match the website, which is a legit concern, but not one with which I would personally bother unless I ate at Chipotle's all the time and wasn't losing weight.

Bartenders over-pour, Chipotle's employees over-scoop, it's a thing.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    People are always looking at their phones. If someone is looking at yours while you are on it that brings up different issues of personal space and privacy. I log and don't say anything about it most of the time and no one asks. They most likely assume I'm texting or checking email.🤷
  • missperfectpitch
    missperfectpitch Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I'll look at the menus online ahead of time and try to pre-log what I think I'll order. I look at photos of the dishes on Yelp to get an estimate of what the portion size is, pre-log it, and then I'll quickly adjust it at the restaurant. I try not to be on my phone too much at restaurants, but I do like to take pictures of what I order, so I'll just take a quick picture and then might log right then before putting the phone away. It's pretty discreet that way and doesn't take too long. If I'm unable to check out the menu ahead of time or am undecided, I'll use the "food notes" section of the app when at the restaurant to jot down what I ordered and then log it afterwards. Usually other people tend to check their phones once or twice as well, so it's not that noticeable.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Probably she didn't trust the employees to measure to exactly the portion that would match the website, which is a legit concern, but not one with which I would personally bother unless I ate at Chipotle's all the time and wasn't losing weight.

Bartenders over-pour, Chipotle's employees over-scoop, it's a thing.

I have brought food home and weighed it to find that it was almost twice the calories listed on a restaurant's website. I usually assume 20 percent. It would be nice if I didn't already know this information because I am still at a place where 20 percent doesn't really hurt me on occasion and ignorance is probably bliss on this one. There will come a day when it might matter I suppose.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    For the most part, I'll look at the menus online ahead of time and try to pre-log what I think I'll order. I look at photos of the dishes on Yelp to get an estimate of what the portion size is, pre-log it, and then I'll quickly adjust it at the restaurant. I try not to be on my phone too much at restaurants, but I do like to take pictures of what I order, so I'll just take a quick picture and then might log right then before putting the phone away. It's pretty discreet that way and doesn't take too long. If I'm unable to check out the menu ahead of time or am undecided, I'll use the "food notes" section of the app when at the restaurant to jot down what I ordered and then log it afterwards. Usually other people tend to check their phones once or twice as well, so it's not that noticeable.

You'd be surprised how noticeable it is no matter how few times a person checks it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

You'd be surprised how noticeable it is no matter how few times a person checks it.

i will and have told my friends if they are with ME... they are NOT on their phones. had to 'remind' my friend at a concert to get off her *kitten* phone last week.

i cant stand that *kitten*.

took my daughters phone away from her for a month when she pulled it out while we were dining out once.

my son obviously learned from her lesson, hes never been dumb enough to do it.

i find taking your phone out 'just to check or play or snapchat yourself with bunny ears' rude and inconsiderate. and im old and grumpy and dont have patience for that *kitten*.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    i will and have told my friends if they are with ME... they are NOT on their phones. had to 'remind' my friend at a concert to get off her *kitten* phone last week.

i cant stand that *kitten*.

took my daughters phone away from her for a month when she pulled it out while we were dining out once.

my son obviously learned from her lesson, hes never been dumb enough to do it.

i find taking your phone out 'just to check or play or snapchat yourself with bunny ears' rude and inconsiderate. and im old and grumpy and dont have patience for that *kitten*.

Smart phones make rude people. I know being in the moment is not as exciting as what some overrated celebrity is naming their dog on the twitter but you can fake it for short periods of time. I remember when they first came out and calls coming in were a major intrusion on my quiet car time. I HATED that thing. My tolerance for it has increased over time... a little.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's an age thing, but nobody really questions me when I'm on the phone, so I just log when I'm there. They probably think I'm texting or something.

That is what I was thinking. Unfortunately people are on their phones everywhere anyway. I do not think people are that interested in what is on anyone else's phone. Somtimes I log while at the restaurant. Some times I look at the menu ahead of time so I already know what I want and what the calories are. Some times I just enjoy the food and guesstimate when I get home what I ate.
  • katevt78
    katevt78 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I log in front of anyone. If I’m at a restaurant I apologize for being on my phone but just say I need to track my food. No one has ever had a problem and some people are just curious about what all I’m using
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don’t hide it and I don’t advertise it either. I think people assume I’m sending a quick text, most of the time. If you really want to log and don’t feel comfortable doing it at the table, excusing yourself to the restroom for a couple minutes might be the easiest way to log without eliciting comments and “free advice” on your weight loss efforts. (Amazing how many people inform me calorie counting doesn’t work...right after complimenting my improved figure lol)
  • missperfectpitch
    missperfectpitch Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Fair enough. I meant more that it's not that noticeable to be on MFP if the other person/people are already occupied with checking their phones. Almost everyone I go out with tends to do so, so if I haven't prelogged, I'll use that opportunity when they're paying attention to their phones to jot down food notes.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Hmm never had that problem, but then again i don't care what others think of me... never had.