Asian supermarket reccomendations please :)

Options
strongerbytheday
strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
Tomorrow morning I’m headed to the biggest Asian market in my state! I’m beyond excited, as I’ve been wanting to go for too long! I find more pleasure than most in grocery shopping and exploring new stores as well as cooking. Please tell me what is on your list, when you hit up the Asian market? Thank you!

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    Frozen gyoza wrappers (google lasagna cupcakes), Vietnamese rice paper sheets for making summer rolls, Laoganma brand chilli paste, frozen paper thin sliced beef for Korean bulgogi which I use for making jerky, pepper and other spices because they are usually cheaper at the Asian supermarket. Shelled chestnuts because they are cheaper at the Asian supermarket. If you eat instant ramen, the varieties with bean thread vermicelli or rice noodles are lower in calories because the wheat noodle ones need to be fried to make them instant. Frozen wakame salad, frozen shelled edamame, frozen peking duck pancakes. Frozen duck. Fresh lichee and rambutan if in season. Green mango and papaya for SE Asian salads. Pomelo for SE Asian salads, but that's out of season now. Tinned lychee for making sorbet.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    Nori sheets, sushi rice, sticky rice to go with Northern Thai dishes, kikkoman soy sauce, Korean gochujang sauce. Japanese pickled turnip to go in California rolls. Red curry paste (for nam prik ong) and green curry paste for green curry, coconut milk. Almond flavoured soy milk because of childhood nostalgia. Jars of deep fried shallot flakes from the SE Asian section for garnishing soups and salads. Dried shrimp for grinding to a powder in the food processor for SE Asian salads. Lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves (you can freeze both).
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I usually go with noodles as our normal grocery stores only stock the 'pretend' chinese types. Stock up on both fresh and dried (including won-ton/spring roll wrappers, fresh egg noodles for crispy pan frying, summer roll wrappers, rice vermicelli, etc.).

Outside of that, look for produce you can't generally find else where (like chinese broccoli, or yu choy, or dragon fruit, or Korean pears, etc.), sauces you can't find elsewhere (dark soy sauce is something not a lot of people know about, but it's delicious as a braising flavoring or just on rice), frozen dumplings (quality is usually so-so but they're super fun and easy), and if you're lucky, check out their prepared foods - you might be able to snag some delicious roast duck or chickens, BBQ pork, baos, pastries, or other things.

Finally, don't forget the snack aisle. Shrimp chips are the best but there's so much fun stuff to try out.
  • strongerbytheday
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great ideas!!!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Kimchi, dried seaweed sheets (nori), Gouchujang, Sambal, Siracha, frozen dumplings, Korean spicy ramen, yellow pickled Dikon...
  • jbjk123
    jbjk123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Get a big tub of the red or green Thai curry for soup plus coconut milk. It is simple to make once you have the curry paste. Also, the rice paper for Vietnamese rolls is amazing. Use fresh or fried/air fried. Oh, and Thai basil.
  • MiaisMIAinMiami
    MiaisMIAinMiami Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Rambutans 😍
  • AndyWR72
    AndyWR72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Durian, Kangkung (Morning Glory/Water Spinach) Samyang 2x Spicy, Sweet Soy Sauce, Cassava
  • AndyWR72
    Options
    AndyWR72 wrote: »
    Durian, Kangkung (Morning Glory/Water Spinach) Samyang 2x Spicy, Sweet Soy Sauce, Cassava
    UGHHH REALLY?? lol theres a durian store in my neighborhood and I want to kill myself every time pass by

It's an acquired taste :smiley:

• makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Natto (fermented soy beans). They go great with rice, but are also good on their own. In Japan it's often served during breakfast.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Natto (fermented soy beans). They go great with rice, but are also good on their own. In Japan it's often served during breakfast.

Ugh. I'm usually pretty good with all foods but natto totally escapes me. The texture does me in every time.
  • strongerbytheday
    Options
    Well let me just say I spent $100 and and I’m well stocked!! I’m very excited about all of the produce that I bought and all of the experimenting that will be happening in my kitchen!!!
  • juliamfu161
    juliamfu161 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love to buy the packs of noodles that they have in the refrigerators, they come out so tasty! I also stock up on their sunflower seeds, the red bag is flavored with a brine that makes the seeds taste sweet, and I'm addicted. Also stock up on tofu. All kinds of tofu. Silken tofu for adding into meatballs to give it a light and fluffy texture, or to make ice cream. Firm tofu for making mapo tofo. Smoked tofu for stirfries, and tofu pouches for stews, because you can stuff them with meat or potato filling and they are delicious! Ah! Tofu....
  • strongerbytheday
    Options
    vd2i871xwnsa.jpeg
    035ep36p9jbw.jpeg
    I have been enjoying all of the goodies that I got there! Also compiling a list for our next trip there!
  • AndyWR72
    Options
    If they sell Tempeh I would recommend picking some up.
  • nic_27_grassisgreener
    Options
    I love to buy the packs of noodles that they have in the refrigerators, they come out so tasty! I also stock up on their sunflower seeds, the red bag is flavored with a brine that makes the seeds taste sweet, and I'm addicted. Also stock up on tofu. All kinds of tofu. Silken tofu for adding into meatballs to give it a light and fluffy texture, or to make ice cream. Firm tofu for making mapo tofo. Smoked tofu for stirfries, and tofu pouches for stews, because you can stuff them with meat or potato filling and they are delicious! Ah! Tofu....

@juliamfu161 I've been looking for smoked tofu for a while..what part of the store do you find it? And does it have another name? Thanks!