Opinions please

Hi again. I've lost 23 lbs in 10 weeks. My CW is 243 and my goal weight is 200. I'm set at 2lb per week loss but that was since I started losing again on 1.6.18 weighing 266. At this lighter weight and with 43lbs til GW should I now increase my calories slightly by setting to lose 1.5lbs per week? MFP currently gives me 1880 at a 2lb per week loss.

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    How are you feeling? How's your energy levels? You can keep going at 2lbs per week if you feel OK. Curious why you are considering reducing to 1.5 per week?
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    I'm feeling good. 1880 is manageable for sure. Energy levels are good I'm only doing cardio at the minute but want to include some strength going forward. I've just read on here that as you get closer to GW you shouldn't eat at such a deficit. Obviously I'm still 43lbs away.

Losing 1.5lb per week gives me an extra 250 calories per day roughly. I'm just wondering if 2lb per week is too aggressive 43lbs away from goal.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    It's a guideline. More important to listen to your body and see how you feel. Obviously there's no rush to get to your goal (is there?) so if you want to slow it down it's your call. But you're saying you feel fine so if I was in your shoes, personally, I'd keep going :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    RoyBeck wrote: »
    Hi again. I've lost 23 lbs in 10 weeks. My CW is 243 and my goal weight is 200. I'm set at 2lb per week loss but that was since I started losing again on 1.6.18 weighing 266. At this lighter weight and with 43lbs til GW should I now increase my calories slightly by setting to lose 1.5lbs per week? MFP currently gives me 1880 at a 2lb per week loss.

It's something to start thinking about at least! If you are not struggling to stick to your calorie goal, you are probably fine for the time being. I think the other reason to consider slowing it down a little would be sparing muscle. As you get lighter, faster weight loss can mean more muscle loss. But I'll admit, I don't know where that line is drawn or how to know. Do you strength train, and can you get enough protein in the calories you're eating?
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    I believe muscle loss is a greater risk for anyone losing more than 1% of body weight per week. OP, you are safe on that score and should do what works best for you.
  • RoyBeck
    Ok I'll stick with 2lbs for now thanks all.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited August 2018
    You're probably okay at this point. For comparison's sake, I'm a 5'11" 55yo male. I started at 240 and lost at a steady 2 pounds per week (average - some weeks + and some weeks -) for about 15 weeks before slowing down. When I got to about 210 I slowed down the loss to about 1 - 1.5 until I reached the low 190s (before adding weight while lifting, now back to about 196). My guess is you'll be fine for a while.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Have you taken a refeed/maintenance break yet?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

I asked the same type of question as you and one was suggested to me. It was great advice!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Have you plugged your new weight stats into the MFP wizard to recalculate your calorie goal? Maybe do that first before considering lowering your target lbs per week.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Have you taken a refeed/maintenance break yet?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

I asked the same type of question as you and one was suggested to me. It was great advice!

Ever 12 weeks is recommended so you are getting close.
  • zippie2223
    zippie2223 Posts: 37 Member
    Keep doing what you have been doing. Its working. Just add weights slowly
  • RoyBeck
    Have you plugged your new weight stats into the MFP wizard to recalculate your calorie goal? Maybe do that first before considering lowering your target lbs per week.

Yes I've updated my lower weigh ins each time in progress but haven't noticed any difference my calories have and always have been 1870.
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    RoyBeck wrote: »

Yes I've updated my lower weigh ins each time in progress but haven't noticed any difference my calories have and always have been 1870.

Redo the guided set up or go to goals and change your rate of loss, then change it back. Your calories should update.