Rewarding Yourself

Options
2»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,006 Member
    Options
    If you think the foods you aren't eating are unclean, why would eating them be a "reward"?

Where did I say that?

I'm sorry if I misunderstood. When you asked if people allow themselves "a meal" as a reward, I assumed the meal would in some way be different than what you normally eat. I mean, you do have meals every day, right? So a reward meal would be different than the "clean" food you normally eat? If that's not what you meant, maybe you could explain what you did mean.

I’m sorry, my post was a little vague. I cut out a lot from my diet when I started losing and that’s ok because I overall feel so much better versus when I was eating a lot of not so good food, but sometimes I crave a pizza from Pizza Hut or a sub from Jim’s steak out. Or a whopper. I was wondering if anyone allows themselves a meal every once and a while and if it affects their progress

About once a month, when I would cycle 100+ km on a Saturday or Sunday, I would have pizza or something after the ride ... because I could afford to do so. I had enough calories to work with. A win-win situation!! :)
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I try not to reward myself via food. I do it once every 3 weeks. Otherwise i reward myself with new gear for cycling. Sunglasses, shoes, helmet, bike parts, etc.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,506 Member
    Options
    Food can be a treat, but food shouldn't be a reward for humans. Food is a reward for lab rats.

If you don't 100% enjoy 100% clean eating, eat 80% clean and 20% treats. Hit your nutritional targets, get plenty of nice, varied, colorful fruits and veggies, and you'll do fine. I doubt you'd notice much/any difference in how you feel, vs. "eating clean" (except the aura of virtue - LOL ;) ).

Even pizza and whoppers have nutrients, and they contribute to your nutritional goals. Have a couple of slices of thin-crust pizza, and a big green salad. Have a Jr. Whopper.

As long as you pay attention to your nutritional goals (enough protein, enough fats, enough fruits/veggies), and as long as you hit your calorie goal the overwhelming majority of the time, it won't hurt your progress. (In fact, if your only goal is weight loss, only the calorie part matters . . . but most of us think it's good to be healthy as well as thin, so nutrition and exercise are good goals, too.)

When you reach some milestones in your fitness and weight loss, reward yourself with new (smaller) clothes, some exercise toys (I like boats, myself ;) ), a massage or facial or mani/pedi, attendance at a special concert or other event, or even an indulgent aromatherapy bubble bath and some "me time" if you just have a particular productive day . . . non-food rewards. :)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I eat all food in moderation and stay within my calorie budget for the day. I don't really know what is "clean or unclean" food. It is all food. Everything (except water) has calories. I am just learning to make better choices and to not eat more calories than my body burns.
    The reward is in my going down another size.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    8881bznxnhjr.png

Been using this as my profile picture for a long time!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    My rewards have been better clothes and running vacations. I eat what I want as long as it fits my calories.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Im trying to lose about another 10-15 lbs....down 25+ already, plus I have problems with certain FODMAPs. At first I tried to be a diet nazi, but soon realized I was grumpy, depressed, and miserable. Then it hit me, why am I doing this to myself? I'm pretty disciplined (6yrs in the Marine Corps), so finally figured out for me, if I don't feel like working out heavy today, I don't. If I don't feel like working out AT ALL today, I don't. If I have a food craving, I can usually put if off for a day or two or three, but eventually it builds...and when that happens, I go and enjoy myself. Now I don't get a triple cheeseburger like I use to, but a single every once in a while isn't the end of the world, and keeps me from saying to hell with this diet crap. Now I am always able to get back on track the rest of the week without hating life. IMHO, good mental health is imperative to obtaining good physical health.
    So while I don't go overboard day after day after day, I do allow myself to enjoy the things I like, not beat myself up over them, and learn to appreciate the hard work and goals I have achieved, as well as appreciate the the cheats I indulge on occasion, be that food, buying a new guitar, or just taking a day and not doing a damn thing for a change. Life is too short, and often way to *kitten* as it is, without me making myself even more miserable.
  • ballerbryan
    ballerbryan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Two weeks seems to be the goldilocks state for me. 1 week use to be great but I felt like I would get better results if I didn't have a huge calorie and junk day every two weeks

I tried going 3 and even 4 weeks but to be honest that was simply just miserable. I was losing my sanity waiting to finally satisfy my cravings