Hiking to Lose Weight!!

Options
I started hiking to help with my weight loss and I wanted to share my blog with you!!

www.fatgirlhikes.blogspot.com

I hope you find it funny, interesting, and inspiring....

Replies

• NatalieWiley
    NatalieWiley Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Love it already because its PNW based :) we should do a hike together sometime. I have only ever done one at Mt. Rainier (a 6 mile hike my first time that my ex thought was only 3miles) and then I have hiked Rattlesnake in North Bend a few times. Attempted Pupu point but pussed out 1/3 of the way
  • Mandalicious
    Options
    This is awesome. You're gonna have to change that blog to skinnygirlhikes before you know it!

I live in P-town and LOVE hiking, too! Did the Hamilton Mountain loop last weekend - hard but amazing views! MIght be nice to join your squad sometime...
  • deenaspell
    deenaspell Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Beautiful pictures on the blog! I'd love to visit the NW sometimes soon.
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I love it!! I also hate it when I get a hiking book that says a hike is "easy" and I nearly die. :grumble: Hiking is one of my favorite things ever though!

Your pictures are beautiful!
  • unluckyIrish
    unluckyIrish Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Great Blog!
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Agh. As soon as Texas gets over this "Let's have highs in the 100s and heat indexes in the 110s" kick, I might start hiking. Your pictures are BEAUTIFUL.
  • Emilyannewithane
    Options
    I've hiked to tunnel falls! So strange to read about something so local. I'm north of Vancouver, WA. :) And this past week I took my kids to Multnomah Falls. I hadn't been to the top since I was a fit teenager and I was DYING on the way up. That was a very hard earned 1 mile, I totally agree!
  • Sherylp77
    Sherylp77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    OMG! You are awesome! I heard those hikes are tough! My next big one is going to be either Mt. Definance or Dogwood Mtn...:smile:
  • Sherylp77
    Options
    thank you so much! I will let you know when the next adventure will be!!!:smile:
  • Sherylp77
    Options
    :laugh: Hurry up and get here already!! LOL
  • Sherylp77
    Options
    Thank you so much!! maybe one day we can hike one of those "easy" hikes together!! :happy:
  • Sherylp77
    Options
    Thank you so much!!!:happy:
  • Sherylp77
    Options
    I have a friend in the Dallas area...Im feeling your pain!!
  • Sherylp77
    Options
    Thank you!! I am glad there are people out there that totally agree with me about the 1 mile killer at Multnomah falls!! OUCH!! :happy:
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Nice site Sheryl. I too have found hiking to be a great way to get exercise and loos serious poundage.
  • jhendricks123
    jhendricks123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Love it Sheryl! I started my weight loss journey at 350lbs in 2008, and after losing about 50lbs I took up hiking. That REALLY sped up the weight loss since I hadn't been doing anything physical up until then, and I enjoyed a lot of great Oregon/Washington hikes including...

- Eagle Creek to Tunnel Falls (hint - go just a little further, right around the corner from tunnel falls and you'll see twister falls - it's called twister because the falls are split in two and they cross each other on the way down)
    - Dog Mountain
    - Silver Falls
    - Saddle Mountain
    - Ape Caves

Hiking helped me get to 220lbs (130lbs down!) and now running is helping me get to my goal. This weekend we're backpacking about 32 miles though, half-way around Three Sisters with my fiance's dad then we summit the south sister on Sunday :)
  • hefinator
    hefinator Posts: 260
    Options
    LOVE the site!!! Grew up near Mount Rainier (Tacoma, Puyallup, spanaway) and used to work near the park entrance! miss the hiking there a lot. Haven't been adventurous enough yet here in Everett to find good hikes!!! I'll be heading down to the mountain in september though for a weekend hike with my girlfriends! FUN STUFF!!
  • HawaiianStitchLuver
    Options
    I'm trying to get in shape for a hike in September, thinking of starting by putting a lot of weights in my backpack and walking up some hills around here.