First try at maintance wasn’t so great

Options
After being in a deficit since about April I decided to take a diet break and try out maintance. I calculated activity level based on steps not including purposeful excercise, aimed for what MFP calculated as maintance, and did eat back exercise calories. I ate out a lot because a friend was visiting but calculated the best I could and tried to enter food on the high side. If I went over it was by less than 100 and some days was under. After a week and a half of this I have gained 4 lbs. I weighted everyday and it consistently went up a little each day. I’m hoping it’s water weight but scared it’s not. This now terrifies me to go into maintance again. Any advice or thoughts?

Replies

• Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    And this is exactly the reason I've been avoiding doing a diet break until now! I'm in a very similar boat and have just started a week maintenance, but I'm also really scared that I'm going to put weight on during this break.

Fingers crossed it's just water weight and a little bit up and down because of eating out etc. :heart:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    This is a learning curve, you need to accept that the scale can fluctuate that much normally and you probably wont have gained a true 4lbs - most of that will be water weight.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    If eating out a lot it's also possible you're retaining water from eating more salted foods than you might normally.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    A lot of restaurant food, if you haven't been eating out much beforehand, will almost definitely result in some water weight from the extra salt.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    After being in a deficit since about April I decided to take a diet break and try out maintance. I calculated activity level based on steps not including purposeful excercise, aimed for what MFP calculated as maintance, and did eat back exercise calories. I ate out a lot because a friend was visiting but calculated the best I could and tried to enter food on the high side. If I went over it was by less than 100 and some days was under. After a week and a half of this I have gained 4 lbs. I weighted everyday and it consistently went up a little each day. I’m hoping it’s water weight but scared it’s not. This now terrifies me to go into maintance again. Any advice or thoughts?

A week and a half isn't a long enough time for analysis of anything. Also, your maintenance isn't going to be a static weight...it's a range. I can typically be up or down 3-5 Lbs day to day depending on what I ate.

You also have to consider that when you were dieting, you had less inherent waste in your system due to eating less...eat more and you have more inherent waste in your system...waste has mass and thus weight that will show on the scale.

You will also hold onto more water weight when you eat more and when you were dieting, your glycogen stores were somewhat depleted...eating maintenance will top off glycogen stores...again, that has weight.

On top of that, you were eating out a lot...restaurant food is notoriously high in sodium which is also going to cause water retention.

Weight does not equal fat...
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

A week and a half isn't a long enough time for analysis of anything. Also, your maintenance isn't going to be a static weight...it's a range. I can typically be up or down 3-5 Lbs day to day depending on what I ate.

You also have to consider that when you were dieting, you had less inherent waste in your system due to eating less...eat more and you have more inherent waste in your system...waste has mass and thus weight that will show on the scale.

You will also hold onto more water weight when you eat more and when you were dieting, your glycogen stores were somewhat depleted...eating maintenance will top off glycogen stores...again, that has weight.

On top of that, you were eating out a lot...restaurant food is notoriously high in sodium which is also going to cause water retention.

Weight does not equal fat...

I can swing 5-6 lbs a day. Went out for a carb loaded sodium bomb meal and saw it swing nearly 7.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I would also add that gaining 4 Lbs of actual fat in a week and a half is mathematically improbable...you'd have to be really stuffing your face to do that...like you wouldn't even be trying to eat maintenance calories...
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Deviette wrote: »
    And this is exactly the reason I've been avoiding doing a diet break until now! I'm in a very similar boat and have just started a week maintenance, but I'm also really scared that I'm going to put weight on during this break.

Fingers crossed it's just water weight and a little bit up and down because of eating out etc. :heart:

Scared is a strong word. You know you wont gain true weight in a week if you have been eating at maintenance calories. You know the score and how much calorie deficit you needed to lose, so you know you wont really gain unless you were to consistently eat above your TDEE/maintenance cals.

Thank you~

I do know those things, but it really does help to be reminded. I suppose my biggest worry is that it's uncharted territory. I've got used to logging at a deficit. I honestly don't know how to eat at maintenance right now, because I keep finding myself thinking like I'm eating at deficit. Constantly looking for ways to lighten up when I don't need to right now. I suppose I'm also worried that I'll just keep losing and not actually get the "break" that I wanted/needed to help me refocus.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Scared is a strong word. You know you wont gain true weight in a week if you have been eating at maintenance calories. You know the score and how much calorie deficit you needed to lose, so you know you wont really gain unless you were to consistently eat above your TDEE/maintenance cals.

Thank you~

I do know those things, but it really does help to be reminded. I suppose my biggest worry is that it's uncharted territory. I've got used to logging at a deficit. I honestly don't know how to eat at maintenance right now, because I keep finding myself thinking like I'm eating at deficit. Constantly looking for ways to lighten up when I don't need to right now. I suppose I'm also worried that I'll just keep losing and not actually get the "break" that I wanted/needed to help me refocus.

you've been logging long enough to be pretty sure about your numbers though, haven't you?

plus, like with weight loss, the time will pass anyway... if you don't hit your calories to maintain this week, you try again next week. taking some time to learn how to maintenance is a good thing in the long run.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your post because I am also trying my first "diet break" starting today. I've been at 1200 cals for 115 days but my maitenance at maybe ultimate goal (just under healthy) is only 1350 so I'm ready to tiptoe into a bit higher for a week. I am worried.