That sinking feeling of resentment & reluctance towards logging & exercise?

Options
Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
That sinking feeling you get when you think about having to log your calories or do a workout?

You get the feeling, then it makes you think the activity will be hard, so it lets you put it off, and put it off.

Then you get guilt for putting it off, and it makes you think the activity is even harder.

So you feel more resentment towards logging and exercising, and more guilt - a vicious circle…

Challenge your thoughts.

Don’t believe everything you think.

Those feelings are far worse than the short time it takes to exercise or log.

Logging on MFP means 3 less minutes spent getting annoyed on Facebook or Twitter.

Exercising gives you happy hormones that create a positive feedback loop that means you do it again.

When that old resentment and reluctance hits you in the guts, zap it with the logical part of your brain, and recognise it as just a feeling that will only get worse the longer you leave it.

Don’t wait around for motivation to log or exercise.

Just *kitten* do it.

Replies

• elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Excellent thoughts! Thank you.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Thanks, all!

@amusedmonkey That mind map is beautiful! What did you use to make it?

The sinking feeling of being an overweight slug...

I got over any reluctance to log because of results. In maintenance, I am scared not to log. Reluctance is not nearly strong enough of a word to describe how I now feel about giving up logging. that's not going to happen any time soon.

I am being active - paddling and walking/hiking - far more than I am doing dedicated exercise. I paddle hard a long ways a couple of times a week and that has me in really good shape; better than i have been in for decades. No reluctance because I enjoy and I get results.

@CarvedTones Yes! After doing it over 3 years, there is no reluctance.

Rather, there is a habit of keeping up the streak and the success, and all the wonderful health benefits that go with it.

Got excellent results on a full blood test recently, and ran a 50 km run in June. I'd say things are working pretty well.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Thanks, all!

@amusedmonkey That mind map is beautiful! What did you use to make it?

I don't remember the exact name, but it was an app in Windows app store that allows you to automatically generate mind maps using text (I formatted my computer since). No manual adding of nodes or fussing with the arrangement of nodes, but that made it more rigid - you couldn't drag nodes around, for example.

ETA: looked for it and it's still available in Windows store. It's called "Textize MindMap".
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Love you, @Orphia

You always know what to say.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Love you, @Orphia

You always know what to say.

@RespectTheKitty Aww, Love you too! That's certainly the right thing you said! :smile:
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    LOVE the mind map. So much truth.
    @Orphia , I agree 100%. My mantra is, “It’s just what I do.” For some reason, it’s then easier to do!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Dude.... right on!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    emmies_123 wrote: »
    so true: "Those feelings are far worse than the short time it takes to exercise or log."

When I was a little kid I apparently hated showers/baths. I would stall and find excuses and whine, etc. One time my mom timed me, the amount of time I fought against it, and the amount of time it took me to shower and dry off. When she showed me the difference, and explained to me how "in all that time you spent fighting it you could have finished and moved on to something fun." I never fought it again.

I take that same mentality into my exercise. I wake up early, tell my brain to shut off the excuses and get it done, so I can move onto something more fun/productive with my time.

When I was a little kid I used to fight getting into the tub, but once I was there I was happy as a clam. The same is often true today for exercise, so I just remind myself that I will be fine once I start.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Even though I still do it (log, stay active) it's the tediousness, the same old, same old, the "another day, another $.50", "I'm successfully doing what I need to today but, tomorrow, I start again at zero and do it all over again ad nauseam. What is the point....it's not like I'll live forever. Why not just lie around and eat whatever, whenever?" that drags on me periodically.

I eventually get over it, and get on with it, but boy do I dread when I start feeling that way.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    HeyJudii wrote: »
    Even though I still do it (log, stay active) it's the tediousness, the same old, same old, the "another day, another $.50", "I'm successfully doing what I need to today but, tomorrow, I start again at zero and do it all over again ad nauseam. What is the point....it's not like I'll live forever.

Why not just lie around and eat whatever, whenever?" that drags on me periodically.

I eventually get over it, and get on with it, but boy do I dread when I start feeling that way.

cuz the quality of your life would dwindle until you became a lump in a chair...that's the point.