From Keto to simply counting calories

hjsportsed1
hjsportsed1 Posts: 52 Member
edited August 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I have been doing Keto since March and have lost 63 pounds on my 100-pound weight loss journey. I got burnt out on Keto, so a few days ago, I started simply counting calories with my adjusted macros. I have not really gained or lost during this time period, but would expect to start losing again within a few days. Any advice for making the transition from Keto to a more balanced diet for the remainder of my weight loss goal?

Replies

• hjsportsed1
    hjsportsed1 Posts: 52 Member
    I am almost obsessed with logging. Hoping someday not to have to do it as much. I guess once I hit my goal, it will be kind of play it by ear.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I am almost obsessed with logging. Hoping someday not to have to do it as much. I guess once I hit my goal, it will be kind of play it by ear.

When I hit my goal weight I quit logging. I also back off my running and started drinking more beer. I went from 173 to 208. I really didn't want to start counting and being hungry all the time. I accidentally found LCHF (keto) and thought I would try it out. So far down 14 pounds and like it. I hope I don't burn out but I can see how the food is limited.
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    I lose 23 lbs with keto and got burned out. The only advice I have is to be very patient and transition back very slowly. With experience I developed a lot of gastric discomfort. And I also gained back 10 but I’m much happier watching calories. Good luck
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 181 Member
    I’m doing a plant-heavy keto diet so my carbs aren’t as restricted as traditional keto. It’s a lot easier to stick to, I think. Some days I go over my goal, but I don’t fret about it. If you liked your results on keto but are just feeling like it’s a pita, maybe just mix it up a bit. Maybe adjust your macros to include more carbs, but don’t jump back into oatmeal and spaghetti right away. If you really want to get away from keto, maybe adjust your macros to gradually ramp up your carbs until you feel like you’ve reached a good mix.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited August 2018
    I’m doing a plant-heavy keto diet so my carbs aren’t as restricted as traditional keto. It’s a lot easier to stick to, I think. Some days I go over my goal, but I don’t fret about it. If you liked your results on keto but are just feeling like it’s a pita, maybe just mix it up a bit. Maybe adjust your macros to include more carbs, but don’t jump back into oatmeal and spaghetti right away. If you really want to get away from keto, maybe adjust your macros to gradually ramp up your carbs until you feel like you’ve reached a good mix.

So you're just doing low carb? Or just eating normally with some days having more carbs, others having less depending on what you feel like? Sounds like a great "no name required" way to eat :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2018
    I have been doing Keto since March and have lost 63 pounds on my 100-pound weight loss journey. I got burnt out on Keto, so a few days ago, I started simply counting calories with my adjusted macros. I have not really gained or lost during this time period, but would expect to start losing again within a few days. Any advice for making the transition from Keto to a more balanced diet for the remainder of my weight loss goal?
    The transition from keto to a more balanced diet is nothing to worry about - you're burnt out on keto, so going back to eating more like you're used to, should be easy. You're also counting calories, so there's no risk of accidental regain.
    But the transition from the first to the last pounds might need a heads-up. As you lose weight, your maximum rate of loss slows down. You won't necessarily see a drop on the scale from week to week, because of water weight fluctuations. And you may have to be more accurate with your logging, to continue losing, even at that slower rate.
    Last time I hit goal weight, I too was hoping I could play it by ear. So a few years later, I had to lose even more weight. This time I have learnt how to eat, not just to log food. I continued logging nine months into maintenance, and it was necessary in order to build confidence and cement the new habits. I still plan my meals, quite extensively, almost four years in. But it's a primarily about getting nice meals now; stable healthy weight is just a natural consequence.
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 181 Member

So you're just doing low carb? Or just eating normally with some days having more carbs, others having less depending on what you feel like? Sounds like a great "no name required" way to eat :)

It’s still keto. I need a name to my plan or I get off track a bit too easily. 😊 I just eat more vegetables than a traditional keto plan. I try to keep my carbs under 28g/day. If I go over (like 40-ish grams) because of extra veggies, I don’t worry about it. I avoid high-carb/starchy veggies like root vegetable and corn. Salads are a cornerstone of my diet. I LOVE a good salad! 🥗