Skin breakouts after switching to super healthy diet

Options
Has anyone else experienced their skin freaking out a couple of weeks into eating really well? I've cut out all starchy refined white carbs, eating small amounts of whole grain instead, LOADS of different veggies, fruits, also white fish, legumes etc. Also drinking loads of water. On paper it looks really healthy and my body feels good on it - except the skin on my face has started getting spotty? I've cut out booze too. Is it a temporary thing of my body detoxing? Or am I missing something here?

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Usually for me it's the opposite. My skin is much clearer when I reduce fats and simple carbs.

I wonder if you're allergic / sensitive to something? Are you eating anything you don't usually eat? Are you losing weight as well? It could be some fat-soluble toxins being released from your fat stores.
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I know that my skin initially goes through a "purge" and breaks out when I introduce new healthy products topically. You may be experiencing something similar from the inside out. Stick with what you're doing, I would expect it to pass and result in better skin.
  • Tori2019
    Tori2019 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone. Re menstrual cycle I would occasionally get one or two spots but not five or six. Interesting facts about the high GI load... I'll look at this more closely tomorrow when I put my meals together.

I've never been sensitive or allergic to any foods so it seems unlikely that that's an issue, and I'm eating nothing new.

As the rest of me feels great I think I'll take your advice cabwj and just stick it out.

Thanks folks x
  • Tori2019
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Diets do not cause additional toxins to be removed from the body, and your body does not need to "detox" unless you have an excretory system disorder.

The scientific evidence on acne and diet is mixed. Some studies have found an association between high glycemic load and acne, but others have not found this relationship. However, if you're suddenly eating a higher glycemic load diet than you were eating before, it's feasible that this could contribute to acne. Some fruits and vegetables are particularly high GI due to their natural carbohydrates. https://www.aad.org/practicecenter/quality/clinical-guidelines/acne/role-of-diet-in-acne, https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/glycemic-index-and-glycemic-load-for-100-foods

If you've changed your exercise routine, that may also contribute to your acne in a few different ways: https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/acne-and-rosacea/exercise-and-sports/workout-causing-acne

If you have a menstrual cycle, it could be coincidence, since many people get mid-cycle breakouts. It's worth considering whether this usually happens to you, and maybe it just happened to coincide with your new way of eating.

Thanks for the links apullum, I'll give them a good read.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same thing and it calmed down. No scientific evidence though lol
  • chatnoir89
    chatnoir89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As an esthetician, your body is just adjusting to your change in lifestyle and should even out soon. I'm experiencing the same thing.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think it's normal and it should go back to normal. Your skin is probably just adjusting to the different diet.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Have you added in exercise at all? I know for me if I don't wash my face after I exercise the sweat will make me break out, I have very oily skin naturally. Also if you have bangs or hair that hangs in your face try pinning it back when you exercise, that can help with break outs too. Good luck!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Have you introduced foods that you didn't eat before? Some breakouts can be a reaction. Have you introduced more exercise than you used to do? Sometimes my skin reacts badly to that despite showering, just the sweat being on my skin for the duration of the exercise is enough to cause breakouts sometimes.
  • Tori2019
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone. Yes doing lots more exercise although showering almost immediately after. I think it must just be body adjusting. Will let you know in a week or so!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Tori2019 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies everyone. Yes doing lots more exercise although showering almost immediately after. I think it must just be body adjusting. Will let you know in a week or so!

Also be sure you're using a gentle cleanser on your face with all those showers. If I treat my skin too harshly (including drying it out with the wrong soap) it rebels as well.

FWIW, my skin has never looked better since I started drinking water 99% of the time (no other changes in what I eat, just how much). Hopefully yours will adjust soon!