Eating back burned calories

Options
Hey everyone!

I’m having some confusion on the idea of eating back calories burned. Can someone explain why this is necessary? It seems so counter productive to me!

I have 80lbs to lose and have my goal set at a loss of 2lbs a week. I’ve recently started working out (cardio) pretty heavily (who knew how much I’d love working out!). So today, my calorie goal was 1200 but my exercise calories burned were over 1000. Seems crazy to eat 1000 calories back after I worked so hard to burn them.

Someone help me make sense of it all!

Replies

• summersmama2
    summersmama2 Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    Because your calorie deficit to lose your 2 lbs is already figured into the calories you are supposed to eat. If you then somehow burn 1000 calories (questionable, unless you worked out for several hours), and only eat 1200 you would be netting only 200 calories for intake for the day, which your body can't live on.

People usually suggest eating back only about 50% of your exercise calories, since they are usually way over inflated. It is really hard to burn an extra 1000 calories through exercise unless you are a professional athlete.

An hour and a half of cardio: 60 mins elliptical (716 calories burned) and 30 mins cycling (313 calories burned). Calories burned calculated by my Apple Watch and heart rate.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Well, it’s math.

MFP gives you a calorie goal so you will lose at your selected rate of loss WITHOUT exercise.

This means that if you burn 300 through exercise, you have increased your total calorie burn for the day by 300 and as such you either eat them or increase your deficit for the day by 300.

I’ll use my numbers as an example.

MFP settings: Sedentary/0.5lb per week loss

MFP estimated Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (aka NEAT): 1700

1700 - 250 = 1450

Exercise/activity adjustment: 331

1700 (NEAT) + 331 (exercise) = 2031

2031 -250 (0.5 lb per week)= 1781

My deficit isn’t very big. However the most I want to aim for a week is 1% bodyweight loss since I want fat loss. In my case that’s only about 1.3 lbs or a daily deficit of 650 calories. That however is hard for me to sustain so I am going the safer route of 0.5lb per week.
    Moving on. If your deficit becomes too large your body will use fat as well as lean mass for fuel. It can also cause headaches, dizziness, hair loss, and lead to a binge.

It is often suggested to start with eating 50% back and adjust how much you eat back based on actual results.
  • summersmama2
    Options
    As @musicfan68 indicated you need the extra calories to fuel you body.
    Your deficit is already taken into account when MFP gave you 1200 cals.
    (And 1200 may be too low unless you are sedentary and have over 75lbs to lose)

If you would share your height, weight, and goal weight with us, we may be able to say if the 1029cals for your 90 min work out is appropriate. All machines, devices, and web based (inc MFP) estimates of calorie burns are just that, estimates.

Cheers, h.

My calories burned were calculated with my Apple Watch, using my heart rate.

I’m 5’6” and 220lbs.

Issue wasn’t with how much I actually burned today but rather eating back calories is necessary.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do: I eat until I'm satisfied. Mostly healthy foods, some not-so-healthy foods. Some days, I end up eating more calories than I burn, but most days, I burn more calories than I eat. I keep track of some nutrients (sugars, fiber, and protein), but I don't worry about hitting my macros exactly every, single day of my life. If I'm dragging, I'll look at my eating and try to figure out what my body is lacking. I'm not losing as quickly as I could be, I'm sure, but I'm in no hurry to get to a number on the scale. The whole point of MFP, to me, is just about getting healthy and swapping ideas for getting and staying healthy with other people.

If you don't want to eat your calories back, you don't have to. In fact, since you're in a place where you probably want to cut your weight a little faster than I do (I'm very close to "goal"), you probably shouldn't. Just don't trust, if your Apple Watch says you burned 1,000 calories, that you actually did. (Check out this article: "Though six of the seven devices tested produced accurate heart rate readings (within 5 percent), even the most accurate tracker was off by an average of 27 percent when it came to measuring energy expenditure. The worst was off by 93 percent!")

But, by the same token, make sure that you're getting enough to eat and adequate nutrition from what you do eat. I am the queen of forgetting to eat and then wondering why I feel like a nap in the late afternoon or wondering why I can't satisfy that crazy hunger that hits me around 10:00 pm after a day of not eating enough, so I've got plenty of knowledge about what happens when you aren't eating enough. I seriously don't recommend it.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Whatever my watch says I burned I subtract 50cal off (i rather underestimate than over. I also eat back half my exercise calories. I did loose 99lbs and STOPPED LOGGING !! and gained 36lbs so take it at face value when people tell you to take your calories. I am now fully committed to tracking calories again.
  • summersmama2
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    Because your calorie deficit to lose your 2 lbs is already figured into the calories you are supposed to eat. If you then somehow burn 1000 calories (questionable, unless you worked out for several hours), and only eat 1200 you would be netting only 200 calories for intake for the day, which your body can't live on.

People usually suggest eating back only about 50% of your exercise calories, since they are usually way over inflated. It is really hard to burn an extra 1000 calories through exercise unless you are a professional athlete.

An hour and a half of cardio: 60 mins elliptical (716 calories burned) and 30 mins cycling (313 calories burned). Calories burned calculated by my Apple Watch and heart rate.

i do that daily and dont burn ANYWHERE near that amount. the most i would eat back would be around the 400mark.

you are not burning 1000 calories in an hour and a half. well, maybe if youre 300 pounds.

Which is the issue I have eating back anything. Who the hell actually knows what’s burned?? MFP had it at way higher than 1000, I adjusted to what the Apple Watch said.

I added in a healthy snack today to replace some of today’s calories (Apple Watch said 700 burned today, but again, who really knows).