What is the Most Healthy WOE?

Options
I'm 290 pounds, was 350+ at my highest 8 years ago. I lost that weight by graduating university and grad school (10 years) and becoming slightly more active. I was also no longer eating fast food 3 or more times per day.

I do have health issues (ulcertive colitis, hidradenitis supurative, RA, Osteoartritis and likely fibro, as well. Everything hurts). I also have mental issues (depression, anxiety, compulsive overeating, binge eating disorder, and purge tendencies.) I am professionally successful, but most of the time I hate myself. I'm in a long-term relationship (over 7 years) and he is also very overweight and a stress eater. He was 375 and is now down to about 300. He got down to 270 before we met and is back up to 300.

I understand that my health issues will make it difficult for me to embark on any diet successfully long term. But I'm trying. Right now, I am trying to eat more whole foods, cooking more from scratch, not eating out as much and trying to limit sugar, dairy and wheat because they make my AI issues much worse. I have a hard time sustaining any plan for very long. If I eat something that's not "on plan" the guilt and self-hatred are overwhelming. That feeds the cycle. I know it's cliche and has been posted here ad infinitum, but I feel like I've tried everything.

One of the most frustrating things is the contradictory advice, resources, opinions, references, etc. that make deciding on a plan so completely impossible. Eat meat! Don't eat meat. Eat veggies! Limit veggies, Eat fruit! Limit Fruit! Eat carbs! Don't eat carbs! Fat doesn't make you fat! Fat's evil! Sugar causes cancer! Sugar's not so bad! Grains cause AI issues! You can't eliminate whole food groups! Eat milk and cheese! Cavemen didn't eat cheese!

I'm being dramatic, but seriously, how the hell are we supposed to figure out what to eat? A dietitian friend of mine recommended "meat and greens". That's it. Is that sustainable?

I've heard the Mediterranean and Okinawa diets are the healthiest, but I need some guidance on how you've all determined the diet you can stick to forever? I feel like if I don't nail something down I'm destined to fluctuate between 275-300 pounds for the rest of my short life. Any guidance would be awesome. Thanks!

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    The most healthy diet/WOE is the one in which you eat a reasonably balanced, nutritious diet that provides maximum satiety for you and is the easiest to stick to over the long term.

There is no such thing as one "most healthy" diet/WOE that is optimal for everybody. Any diet/WOE can be healthy or unhealthy, depending on how one "does" it.

This^ /end of thread.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need your own plan, although there do seem to be some foods that bother arthritis and AI issues more than others - refined and highly processed foods (mainly carbs in the form of sugars, flours and [powdwered] starch).

I started with low carb to deal with prediabetes, arthritis and AI issues. I cut refined and processed carbs first and felt a lot better. So much better that I kept cutting down to keto levels. I let my carbs creep upwards, and with it went calories and I regained a bit, and I got my pains back. Now I am down to almost zero carb because I feel better there, and because it makes weight management easy for me. Ymmv

I have good friends with AI issues who do LCHF to keto but find they feel best when they include more plant foods than I do. One also finds that organic and nonGMO makes a difference for her. It's going to vary from person to person as to how how foods affect you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Most likely, the best/healthiest diet for you is "no particular plan" - I sense that can be difficult for you to swallow, and that it's just what you need, to challenge that "need to do good, have to do well", and put together your own plan, based on your own needs, not trying to fit into a set of semi-arbitrary rules. Guilt and perfectionism is eating you alive. I think you have to calm down and think through what you can do and what you want to do, and if things really have the effect you say they have. Sugar, dairy and wheat are among today's most vilified foods/food groups/nutrients, so make sure it's meaningful to cut it out (AI can be eye/tooth/heart disorder so I'm not sure how it's linked).

Lindsay - count me as another vote for eating in such a way that is best for you.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Stop reading all that stuff about what is bad for you or good for you. Almost every time, it will later be published that it isn't true. Remember eggs? Good, then bad, then good. Don't follow anything that labels itself a diet - they don't work for everyone, or only may work for a short time. Let MFP give you target calories and then write down every thing you eat. See where you might want to make changes. Or you could go see an registered dietician to help you come up with a healthy eating plan (you can still use MFP). Try to get your boyfriend involved. Obviously, you are intelligent woman having made it through grad school - apply the same kind of techniques that got you through grad school - do research. You can do this. Good luck to you!!
  • lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your insight. I appreciate it! I’ve begun eating more cleanly and with less sugar wheat and dairy, so I will see how that goes. Thanks again!
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    The healthiest diet is the one you can stick to. Try logging everyting, and make small adjustments to make it fit your calories and your life

I'm a busy mother of 2, so I decided early on, that a "real diet" was a no-go, as I dont want to make too many different meals for dinner.
    I also want to keep on doing social stuff a couple of times a week without having to worry too much about what I eat.
    I still want my protein and veggies/greens for health purposes

In the I ended up doing something almost 5:2 ish, with 500-1000 calories twice a week, 2 days where I eat 1800 ish calories and the rest I eat in the weekend. ( I excercise 500 calories a day on average and maintain at 1800 calories)

It's working, I lose a small amount each week, and I dont FEEL like dieting, which is the most important part for me

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    In my opinion. The healthiest way of eating is just incorporating plenty of veggies because they contain lots of nutrients, have a lot of fiber to help fill you up and don't have many calories usually (there are exceptions of course) and figuring out correct portion sizes and building your plate appropriately (Say, 50% veggies, a quarter meat, a quarter carb/starchy stuff. You can google it, I'm sure that's not completely correct) Not restricting anything, allowing yourself whatever your preferred treats are, in moderation. Severely limiting liquid calories helps, if you happen to be one who drinks a lot of regular soda, juices etc. It also helps me to have somewhat set eating times/frequencies, because I have a tendency to mindlessly graze.