Running tips from an olympic runner!

Options
I've been posting a lot of stuff lately, sorry about that, but I just wrote a blog on this and figured I would share it on the community board too!

So I used to have this babysitter when I was a kid. Her name was Sara Bei. She got married and now her name is Sara Hall, her husband is Olympic runner and Boston Marathon record holder Ryan Hall. She has some awesome tips for running and I started using them so i figured I would share!

First, check your form!

You should be leaning upright, not back. I'm not a master as explaining proper form so bear with me

The way I do it:

I almost do knee highs. I get my legs high enough and far enough in front of me that i can create almost a wheel motion.

As far as training on the treadmill goes:

Set the incline to 1.0. This will account for outside running conditions. If you set it higher, you will also knock out speed training. I'll explain

The way I do it :

Let's assume I'm running a 5k

I set the incline to 1.5 for the first mile and run at 7.0 (your speeds will vary depending on how fast you run obviously).

For mile 2 i increase the incline to 2.0 and increase my speed to 7.5 (sometimes I'll do this during the first mile if I'm feeling good...the main thing is to increase the incline)

At around mile 2.5, I'll decrease the incline to 1.5 again and maintain my speed where it is

This is the fun part-- around 2.80-2.85 miles, decrease the incline to 0.0. You'll be able to increase your speed by at least .5 mph... I'll run from mile 2.75 to mile 3 at 8.0mph with ease then kick it up to 9.0 for the last .10 mile for my kick.

This has helped me improve my 5k time significantly

If you want to just target speed training:

Run at a comfortable speed (a speed you could run at for a long while) for .5 of a mile. Increase your speed by anywhere from .3 to .5 mph and run there for .25 of a mile. Alternate until you've finished for the day (I'll do anywhere from 3-6 miles.

Eventually the increase will become your comfortable speed.

I went from my comfortable speed of 6.0 to a comfortable speed of 7.3-7.5 depending on the day.

Try it out! You'll increase speed and endurance in no time!

Replies

• bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    awesome! :)
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I am going to try this... Thank you! I have a 5K coming up and I haven't ran outside at all. Its been all on the treadmill. I always have my incline set at 1% but i'm going to up it now.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I am going to try this... Thank you! I have a 5K coming up and I haven't ran outside at all. Its been all on the treadmill. I always have my incline set at 1% but i'm going to up it now.

get off the dreadmill and hit the pavement!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

get off the dreadmill and hit the pavement!

^^^^ Agree! The treadmill actually helps you run since it is pushing the ground out from under you. The pavement does't move.... It's all up to you.

Thanks for the tip Carrie. It's nice to see other speedwork options.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!
  • JigglyHuffRunner
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Wow, Ryan Hall - they say he has 'dream' form...

Thanks for the tips!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Wow, Ryan Hall - they say he has 'dream' form...

Thanks for the tips!

The guy is built for it. Genetics favors him! :-)
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Wow, that seems like a great idea :). I'm training for a half right now, and I seem to be in a bit of a slump! I think this would help me for my short runs :)