Plateau busting foods!

Options
Hi, I have been at a plateau for a few weeks now. I am still losing inches and I can tell i'm getting fitter, but the scale still isn't going down. I have changed up my exercise routines, but I feel like I need to switch up the foods i'm eating too. What kinds of food helped you break your plateaus?

Replies

• lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    oh for sure bump
  • ☆ShawnsMom08☆
    ☆ShawnsMom08☆ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • creasonr
    creasonr Posts: 20
    Options
    Try drinking water with the juice of one whole lemon squeezed in. Lemon juice is a natural diuretic and has numerous other health benefits. A real lemon is better than the juice already squeezed that you can buy. Do not use lemon juice every day. Although it is extremely healthy, try to save it as a plateau breaker.:wink:
  • farabovepearls
    farabovepearls Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For me it was fruit! I replaced a lot of my day snacks with fruit and that got the scale moving down :) At least fruit worked in my case :)
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i once read in a fitness book that if you can not break through a plateau you could try eating nothing but apples for one whole day. I dont remeber the reason behind it.
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bonjourdollface
    Options
    Try drinking water with the juice of one whole lemon squeezed in. Lemon juice is a natural diuretic and has numerous other health benefits. A real lemon is better than the juice already squeezed that you can buy. Do not use lemon juice every day. Although it is extremely healthy, try to save it as a plateau breaker.:wink:

That's an awesome idea! So you mean drink a single glass of water with a whole lemon squeezed in??
  • crickettm
    Options
    Bump!

what is bump?
  • tbelivea
    tbelivea Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • bonjourdollface
    Options
    i once read in a fitness book that if you can not break through a plateau you could try eating nothing but apples for one whole day. I dont remeber the reason behind it.

I did that when I was on hcg and it work wonders! You ate a medium one every three hours. I could never stick with it all day and night so I would have a protein rich dinner. Supposedly the apples would flush out your system. I would always lose at least two pounds that day and then the weightloss would continue for another month or two. I think that is what i'm going to do on thursday since it's my next day off!
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about you but I'd rather lose inches over weight any day! Nobody can see your scale moving but people notice inches coming off! Anyway, it probably means that you're building muscle, especially if you've changed up your exercise a bit.

Don't be too hard on yourself :) The scale will move soon too! If you're really worried just try eating your normal healthy foods but increasing by 200-300 calories per day. Sometimes a 1800-2000 calorie day is all it takes to kick the body back into gear. That helped me once when I went to a birthday party and indulged and suddenly the scale started moving again :) Weird. But everyone is different so it might work and it might not. I'm not aware of a magical plateau-breaking foods though....
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Try this book: Eat Right for Your Type. Hope it helps!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    The only foods that will help bust a plateau are anything different than what you're eating now. Eat a variety of foods that provide a variety of nutrients. If you eat a lot of chicken and turkey, try fish - tilapia, cod, mahi mahi, salmon, etc. Try incorporating more beans for protein such as chickpeas/garbanzo beans, black beans, lentils, etc.

If you're losing inches but not seeing it on the scale, it could be your workout. Try more or less cardio.
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Bump!

what is bump?

"Bring Up My Post" It keeps the topic forum in your list so you can refer back to it.
  • Murphk323
    Murphk323 Posts: 184
    Options
    PROVEN FAT BURNING FOODS:
    grapefruit
    watermelon
    berries
    cucumbers
    celery
    hot peppers
    greek yogurt
    egg whites
    fish
    green tea
    coffee
    water
    quinoa
    oatmeal
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have heard that drinking a glass of ice cold water first thing in the morning kick starts your metabolism, and grapefruit too
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    How about just eating over your calories for a couple of days? Many times dieting for long periods will make your metabolic rate creep even if you're exercising. By going over calorie intake, you fool the body into thinking there more available energy and it may respond by raising metabolic rate.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    PROVEN FAT BURNING FOODS:
    grapefruit
    watermelon
    berries
    cucumbers
    celery
    hot peppers
    greek yogurt
    egg whites
    fish
    green tea
    coffee
    water
    quinoa
    oatmeal

I would like to add a non-food fat burner, which is to get the rest your body needs. Go to bed at a certain time and awaken refreshed. Do this consistently (time of day).

I would like to subtract coffee as it is an artificial stimulant and counteracts getting the rest your body and mind needs, (it will make you lose water, thus water weight).
  • DebiP10
    DebiP10 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I had been on a plateau for 2 months and no matter how hard i trained or ate clean the scales wouldnt budge so on sunday i thought bugger it!!!!! I ate all the things that i like, trifle, biscuits, crisps etc, went over my daily calories by around 500 cals and today 3 days later im 2lb down on the scales :smile: i also decreased the amount of cardio i was doing this week too so i think youve just got to change things up and shock your body once in a while.