Any other Vegetarians on here?

dlmcb80
dlmcb80 Posts: 15 Member
Hi all! I stopped eating all meat products in February and am wondering if anyone has a favorite recipe they want to share? I have been eating tempeh, tofu, quinoa and nuts for my main protein intake. I have celiac, so I can’t eat any gluten. I hate eggs...the smell of them has always made me queasy since I was a kid, but if they’re in a recipe I will eat them.
One of my favorite recipes is General Tso’s made with Tofu. I don’t have a pic or I would post it. Thank you! D

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Well, my diary is open. If you see a recipe that sounds interesting, let me know. I'm working my way through 1,000 Vegan Recipes, one recipe at a time. (For the record, I'll use other cookbooks too, and skip around in this one. But when I do my once-a-week cooking, I include whatever's "next"). This week, I've made Teriyaki Tempeh, but during my time on MFP I've done Asian noodles (I was near the end of pasta and noodles when I joined), bean mains, grain mains, and tofu mains.

• JustBecause84
    JustBecause84 Posts: 14 Member
    Vegan/vegetarian here!!!! My diary is open as well.
  • callmecarina
    callmecarina Posts: 145 Member
    I've been eating largely vegetarian for the past year or so, and I let up every now and again, but I've recently resolved to eating mainly veggie again. I recently made this cashew queso, which is an amazing snack dip! https://minimalistbaker.com/roasted-jalapeno-vegan-queso-7-ingredients/

I also found a cashew-less version that I am going to try soon, the blogger says she likes it better than the cashew version, which I find hard to believe. https://minimalistbaker.com/cashew-less-vegan-queso/

My go to high-protein, filling meal is black bean tacos made with with corn tortillas. Delightfully vegan and gluten free. You can add cheese for a delicious vegetarian version as well.

Also, check yelp to see if there is a Salvadoran restaurant near you because Pupusas are gluten-free by nature. I think some restaurants might add wheat, or of course there's the risk of cross-contamination, but depending on the severity of your Celiac it might be tolerable. If you can't find a restaurant, I recommend looking up how to make Pupusas on youtube. You can even make vegan pupusas if you make it with just black bean.

o.jpg
  • callmecarina
    callmecarina Posts: 145 Member
    And please add me, other vegetarians! I could definitely use veggie friends with open diaries as well to help keep me honest.
  • SelenaMariaStewart
    SelenaMariaStewart Posts: 112 Member
    Vegan over here :) anyone can feel free to add me! My favorite thing in barbecue tofu sandwiches with pineapple and onion :) nom nom nom. 😋
  • dlmcb80
    Vegan/vegetarian here!!!! My diary is open as well.
    Thank you! I’m newer to this and have some dietary restrictions. I appreciate your help!

• dlmcb80
    I've been eating largely vegetarian for the past year or so, and I let up every now and again, but I've recently resolved to eating mainly veggie again. I recently made this cashew queso, which is an amazing snack dip! https://minimalistbaker.com/roasted-jalapeno-vegan-queso-7-ingredients/

I also found a cashew-less version that I am going to try soon, the blogger says she likes it better than the cashew version, which I find hard to believe. https://minimalistbaker.com/cashew-less-vegan-queso/

My go to high-protein, filling meal is black bean tacos made with with corn tortillas. Delightfully vegan and gluten free. You can add cheese for a delicious vegetarian version as well.

Also, check yelp to see if there is a Salvadoran restaurant near you because Pupusas are gluten-free by nature. I think some restaurants might add wheat, or of course there's the risk of cross-contamination, but depending on the severity of your Celiac it might be tolerable. If you can't find a restaurant, I recommend looking up how to make Pupusas on youtube. You can even make vegan pupusas if you make it with just black bean.

o.jpg

I can’t thank you enough for all this info!!!!
    We actually had corn tortillas with roasted veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, onions and mushrooms), hummus and sharp cheddar inside the tortillas, which was delicious. I normally like my hummus on the side, but having it in the tortilla was delicious. We also had edamame before dinner was ready because I worked all day, unplanned, and didn't have much with me except for 2 bars (one protein kind bar and one elevation bar). I ate a shake for breakfast, but I was quite hungry when I got home. I will see if we have this restaurant around here. We have a Zoe’s Kitchen, which has an amazing quinoa salad, if you have one near you.
    TY!!! Danielle
  • dlmcb80
    I’ll open my diary. It’s been pretty high in carbs, which I’m working on...
  • dlmcb80
    Well, my diary is open. If you see a recipe that sounds interesting, let me know. I'm working my way through 1,000 Vegan Recipes, one recipe at a time. (For the record, I'll use other cookbooks too, and skip around in this one. But when I do my once-a-week cooking, I include whatever's "next"). This week, I've made Teriyaki Tempeh, but during my time on MFP I've done Asian noodles (I was near the end of pasta and noodles when I joined), bean mains, grain mains, and tofu mains.
    Thank you!!!!!
  • dlmcb80
    dlmcb80 wrote: »
    Thank you!!!! I LOVE tempeh. Still learning new recipes, especially with tofu. I’ll check out the 1,000 vegan recipes out, as well. I use Pinterest to make some dishes. My favorite is General Tso’s made with Tofu and broccoli and rice or quinoa.
  • rebeccaahopkins93
    rebeccaahopkins93 Posts: 107 Member
    I'm a vegetarian and would love to have more vegetarians/vegans on my feed! Open diary as well!
  • VeggieLenn
    VeggieLenn Posts: 4 Member
    Vegan and diary open as well :)
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    edited August 2018
    My diary is open. I don’t eat super clean or anything and depending on my crazy work schedule my eating habits are questionsable ( but always Vegan)

Have you ever tried chickpea “ tuna” or tofu scramble?
  • TokyoNeko
    TokyoNeko Posts: 13 Member
    I am any vegetarian friend can add Me!!
  • Finkelstien
    Finkelstien Posts: 55 Member
    edited August 2018
    i love tempeh and could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    I've now been obsessed with grilled string beans / grilled green beans.
    Just pre-boil them until they are a little soft but not yet cooked.

Then put a little bit of oil in a grillpan and put the green beans in untill they are slightly blackened/dark brown.
    Then i toss a little sesame oil in.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/238665/grilled-green-beans/

i have to keep my recipes simple as my partner works evening shifts and what i eat today is his packed dinner for tomorrow. So we eat a lot of brown rice with veggies and either tofu or a burger or something.
    It sounds boring but i actually enjoy finding recipes that give variety to normal veggies and make them awesome. My partner is an athlete, he works out 5 days a week and often more so he needs his protein!

I also eat a lot of watermelon with basil and feta.
  • dlmcb80
    Thank you! I don’t think it sounds boring. We eat a lot of the same and I have to pack my lunch for work the next day, too. I appreciate you sharing!
  • dlmcb80
    LushFix wrote: »
    My diary is open. I don’t eat super clean or anything and depending on my crazy work schedule my eating habits are questionsable ( but always Vegan)

Have you ever tried chickpea “ tuna” or tofu scramble?

We have eaten tofu crumbled in a stir fry and it was delicious. Thursday we had tempeh with gluten free soy sauce, garlic, and green beans and almonds. It was so good!
  • dlmcb80
    VeggieLenn wrote: »
    Vegan and diary open as well :)

Thank you!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    vegan
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Not vegetarian, but I eat many meatless meals.

My favorite tofu dish is tofu with spor icy peanut sauce, usually with bell peppers, spring onions (both either raw or stir-fried) and/or cucumbers (raw). I serve it over whatever kind of noodles I have on hand, and you could put it on whatever kind of gluten-free noodles you have on hand. Buckwheat noodles (not actually wheat, so gluten-free), rice noodles, or cellophane noodles (made from beans) would all fit the Asian flavor profile. (I've been making spicy peanut sauce for about 30 years, so it's been a long time since I used a recipe. I'm sure you could google one. I just mix peanut butter, soy sauce, red rice or red wine or malt vinegar, and hot (chili) oil (or tabasco if I'm out of hot oil). You can also add a little sugar, especially if you use a no-sugar-added peanut butter.

Here are a couple of other vegetarian recipes that seem to fit your dietary restrictions, or are easily adaptable to them. I'm sorry for the lack of measurements or the imprecision in some places -- I made these up, and when I cook this way, I just do things to preferred taste and texture -- obviously I measure for logging purposes, but

Smoked Almond Hummus Tacos

To make the "almond hummus":

Red kidney beans cooked until tender, flavored with a bay leaf (220 g drained weight -- you could use an equivalent amount of canned beans)

Smoked almond butter (2.2 oz, or about 62 g) -- if you can't find it in the store, just process 62 g of smoked almonds until they become nut butter -- do that before combining with the beans and other ingredients

5 cloves garlic, chopped and sauteed slightly in olive oil to take the raw edge off

2 tsp. oil (I generally use olive oil, but you might prefer a more neutral flavored oil, or obviously a nut oil would work well)

1 tsp. chipotle Tabasco sauce (or any vinegar and chili-based hot sauce, plus some ground chipotle if you can find it in your spice aisle)

Run all ingredients through food processor, leaving just a little chunky.

Spoon into heated crunchy taco shells or soft corn tortillas, dust with smoked paprika, and top with shredded cabbage. You could also use the hummus as a dip or spread on a sandwich or toast or crackers.

I logged 3 tacos for 475 calories, but I'm not sure how much of the hummus mixture I used -- it seems like it was about 1/3 of the above recipe spread across the three tacos, so there would have been a lot of leftovers if only serving one.

Chiles Rellenos

Roast some largish chili peppers (I usually use poblano or Hatch).

Stuff them with a mixture of cooked quinoa or rice (I generally use bulgur, but that's obviously out for you, because of the gluten), canned pumpkin, and roasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas).

Dip the stuffed peppers in a little egg white (you said you don't mind egg in things, but if you'd prefer, you could substitute a liquid dairy or non-dairy substitute, such as milk, buttermilk, unsweetened almond milk, etc.) and dredge them in a mixture of cornmeal or other gluten-free flour/meal, salt, and cumin. Fry them in oil (I would use corn oil here, but it's not vital, so long as what you use doesn't have a low smoking point), top them with a spicy tomato sauce (I used a jarred fra diavolo-style sauce) and a little shredded cheese (cheddar and jack are both good choices), and heat in the oven or microwave until the tomato sauce is hot and the cheese is melting.

I logged two stuffed peppers, sauce, and cheese at about 500 calories, 12 grams of fiber, and 18 grams of protein, but making it with quinoa would likely boost the protein. As would being more generous with the cheese.