I’ve become a monster. Need help!

Options
I’m not sure if I’m emotional eating but my food habits have become the worst! First of all, I’ve been working out and watching what I eat for almost 4 years now. But last 2 weeks I stopped working out and stopped cooking. Instead I just go to the vending machine and keep eating chocolates. Today was horrible. I ate 3000 calories of chocolates and chips. I feel sick. I know I don’t have to ramble here. But I really want to. I need some kind of words that will stop me from doing this . Has anyone been through such a phase? In my entire life, today was probably the most horrible day when it came to eating. I can’t believe I dumped so much junk food in less than 12 hours. I know this all sounds stupid but just wanted to be accountable so I could find some ways to do a reset. Help me!

Replies

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Step back, take a deep breath, and just u58iqq6i7tfl.jpg

This isn't the end of the world. Relax. You might have put on a pound or two from all this, but they're easily lost again. Starting tomorrow, just climb back on the wagon and move forward as you did before. You're still much better off than someone who has never had to lose weight because you've done it before, so you KNOW you can control your eating again.

If you're an emotional eater and there are stresses in your life that are triggering this behavior, take steps to de-stress. If you can afford it, take a day off from work. Get a mani-pedi and/or a massage. Treat yourself. Let go of everything else for awhile and give yourself a "me" day. And don't think for one moment that you don't deserve it, because if you're this stressed then it's not a luxury, it's a necessity.
  • stfpa
    stfpa Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Don’t feel bad, 2 weeks of being not so good is nothing when you take into consideration the 4 years you’ve been doing good. If it makes you feel better, I ate like that for the past 21 years. 2 weeks won’t make any difference in the long term :-)

Now that you know how sick you feel when you overeat, just keep that in mind tomorrow and start fresh. Do whatever you do to get motivated again!
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    What every one else has said - you're okay, nothing abnormal nothing to be too upset about. You've done a great 4 years and it's brilliant that you've recognised your habit change now rather than a years time and undone all that progress like others usually do. Take a break and then come back at it clear headed 💕 4 years, god damn you're inspirational!
  • emjay196363
    emjay196363 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Could there be something medical going on physically? Do you get check-ups with a doc?
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Sometimes you've just got to do it! It could be hormones or it could just be cravings if you've been denying yourself certain foods, who knows.
    You won't undo 4 years of work in 2 weeks, even with a 3000 calorie binge, so just put it behind you and try to get back to where you want to be. If you think you are craving then grab some 100 cal treats that you enjoy and build them into your plan.
    You know you can do this, you're just having a blip.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »
    I’m not sure if I’m emotional eating but my food habits have become the worst! First of all, I’ve been working out and watching what I eat for almost 4 years now. But last 2 weeks I stopped working out and stopped cooking. Instead I just go to the vending machine and keep eating chocolates. Today was horrible. I ate 3000 calories of chocolates and chips. I feel sick. I know I don’t have to ramble here. But I really want to. I need some kind of words that will stop me from doing this . Has anyone been through such a phase? In my entire life, today was probably the most horrible day when it came to eating. I can’t believe I dumped so much junk food in less than 12 hours. I know this all sounds stupid but just wanted to be accountable so I could find some ways to do a reset. Help me!

Seems like you're having a rough time, but the words that wake me up the most often come from people i know and see on a regular basis. Find someone you know and see often that says unnecessary health related things. For me it'll do it if a friend said "are you sure you want that? Its loaded with calories." Or " bruh you gonna get fat eating all that."

If shes having binge problems after 4 years of restriction the last thing she needs is to associate MORE shame with eating "bad foods". Awful, terrible advice. And incredibly rude friends.

OP, I was maintaining for about 2 years, then earlier this year I got down to the most lean I have ever been. I liked how I looked but it took a lot of restriction to get there. Then I had an emotionally stressful trip and just snapped and I'm just now coming out of a two month binge cycle. I've tried a lot of things to just stop, I panicked, I restricted even more, I threw out a ton of food, I bought more food telling myself this was the very last time, I poked and prodded my body and weighed obsessively, told myself I was weak and gross and terrible. Top tip? None of that works. It just adds to the shame and keeps the cycle going.

You need to find what has messed you up emotionally and derailed your routine, what hole are you trying to fill with food? You don't need to feel bad, you don't need to be ashamed. Something is wrong, either with your relationship towards food after watching what you eat for so long without a break or it's stress or depression, nobody just eats 3000+kcal and then beats themselves up about it because they want to. A reset has to start with sitting down and really really thinking about what makes you so upset/ down that you're turning to cookies for comfort. Do you need to take a break from restrictive eating? (gaining a few pounds in the short term will not kill you, your mental health is so much more important) Do you need to look at your home or work life and figure out where you can make things less stressful? Do you need to see a doctor and have your hormone levels checked?

My problems were based in anxiety and now I know that I can start getting better. I hope you find your solution soon!

I have to say, this is great advice.

While I haven't stuck to any plan for YEARS, I have done so for months. When I'm exercising and watching what I eat, I feel better and in control. But *something* usually starts my derailment. I'm never really good at figuring out what that is. Sometimes it's not me and it's the holidays and so many foods from my youth that I start on that and, like an addict, I really am almost helpless against it. Other times, it is stress or anxiety. Something at work or with my health pushes me over the edge mentally and then I can no longer deal with "managing" my eating. Or I need a "treat" for comfort. And it quickly goes off the rails from there, much like the OP is describing. My really big downfall is going on a binge and stopping. If I could stop it after a day or two, that would be one thing, but I will end up falling off and it goes on for MONTHS. That's what I need to work on. Stopping it in its tracks when it starts.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Imagine where you'd be a year from now if you made the change a year ago today

^ that's always helped me focus, I guess maybe the opposite for you imagine how you're going to look a year from now if you keep doing what you're currently doing.... is that truly what you want? you don't have the mental will power to break through this new habit? Are you saying you aren't strong enough as a woman to hold yourself accountable??

I hope that helps, some times tough love works for me.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Error
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Don’t feel bad, it happens to everyone. I went on a month long hiatus where I ate everything and anything which was completely unlike me, put on like 4lbs and had to step back and see what the original trigger was. I realize now I had been too strict on myself for too long. July 4th was the catalyst for a month of binging unlike anything I’ve done before. So now I’m back to my meal prepping but this time if I want a candy bar bad enough I’m not going to tell myself no, I’ll buy the candy bar and enjoy the *kitten* out of it! Life’s too short to tell yourself no all the time but also I realize that I shouldn’t say yes to every cookie because that’s no good either. Having a balanced and sustainable life style is #1! I’ve also been listening to a lot of “food positive” podcasts to get me out of that restrictive mind set.