Help stir fry!

Options
I suck at figuring out cals in stir fry! Can you guesstimate?
3 slices of thin beef chopped up. Like a cup of slivers.
Broccoli crown
6 stocks celery
Small onion
1 red pepper
6 mushrooms
1.5tbsp olive oil
I had about a cup of finished product. I reckon 200 cals total.
What do you think?

Replies

• DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    It is best to weigh your food with a food scale, without knowing the amounts we can not give you an estimate.

However you can try the recipe maker. https://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe_parser from the website, it is also on the app.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weight it all and enter it into the recipe builder
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't know weights, you can choose database entries that are close to what you ate. Be honest with yourself about your portion sizes and estimate high when you're unsure. The oil is by far the most calorie-dense thing in this dish, so make sure not to underestimate that. In the future, weigh your food and enter it by weight for a more accurate calculation.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    There are about 180 calories in 1.5 tbsp of olive oil. The lion's share of the rest of the calories are going to come from the beef, but the amount is impossible to guess from what you've said.
  • Kohanai
    Kohanai Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I suck at figuring out cals in stir fry! Can you guesstimate?
    3 slices of thin beef chopped up. Like a cup of slivers.
    Broccoli crown
    6 stocks celery
    Small onion
    1 red pepper
    6 mushrooms
    1.5tbsp olive oil
    I had about a cup of finished product. I reckon 200 cals total.
    What do you think?

All of that will go into the recipe builder as-is. Guess how many servings, enter it, and then there you go. Just spend the few minutes to type it in and you're set.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    200 calories
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks! But seriously??? No one has a guesstimate?

You could work it out? You have a better idea of how much of each ingredient you used than anyone else...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Weight it all and enter it into the recipe builder

This
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,568 Member
    Options

Nobody can because nobody knows the amounts you used. See the post above: the oil will be a lot of calories already. A red pepper might be anything from 120-200gr = roughly 48-80kcal. How big is the broccoli crown? One flowerette or a whole broccoli?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Use the recipe builder to log it all and find out.
    I'd guess something like that would be between 200-500 calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Give a person an estimate and they log for a day, teach a person how to log and they do it for a lifetime.

:flowerforyou:

deep....
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Give a person an estimate and they log for a day, teach a person how to log and they do it for a lifetime.

Wise words grasshopper. You should have shirts made, I bet UA would sell them.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Wise words grasshopper. You should have shirts made, I bet UA would sell them.

Thanks for giving away my scheme.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Call it 200 calories for the beef (assume ~2-3 ounces). 150 calories for the oil. 100 calories for everything else.

450 calories for the whole dish. It probably made about 3 cups of food. Your serving would be about 150ish calories. 200 would be a reasonably conservative estimate.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Weigh each food item and use Add Food
    to log it in your diary, or download a calorie counter app. If you don't have a digital food scale, buy one.
  • Greatful1981
    Greatful1981 Posts: 22 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I already have t1diabetes and have to basically calculate doses and carbs 24/7.
    I'm thinking of avoiding foods that I have to weigh all ingredients, put all in recipe builder, figure out servings...geez! I just wanna sit down and eat! After I test my blood! After I think about my future and past activities, after I shoot up my insulin....after I take my metformin...catch my drift!