I am my why

Options
I am my why because breast cancer is my semicolon. I have never posted to a forum so we go.
On 3/7/18, I received the dreaded call that my breast biopsy had cancerous cells. It still feels surreal, only occasionally do I really realize what this all means. I've been going thru the motions of meeting with doctors, getting information, having genetic testing, having surgery and chemo, so only occasionally do I stop long enough to really grasp what's happening to my body.
On 4/20/18, I had a double mastectomy. My cancer turned out to be "only" stage 1a but I didn't ever want to receive "that call" again, I haven't regretted my decision for a second. I'm undergoing reconstruction so I still have expanders in. Next week is my final chemo treatment, I've had weekly Taxol for the past 11 weeks. Following my final chemo, I get to go back to my plastic surgeon to continue my expansions, we had to stop because the expanders interfered with my mediport.
My final reconstruction surgery is tentatively scheduled for 9/24, I'm so incredibly excited for this surgery, I can wait for these expanders to come out so I can start adjusting to my "new normal" body.
Before this diagnosis, I guess I was a workaholic. I'll admit that my focus was work and family, but i justified the work as a way to provide for my family. That makes it noble, right? Well, in the process, i ended up 100 lbs overweight, stressed to the point of anxiety attacks and possibly with a killer disease. Hmmm, I've been saying that I've answered my wakeup call.
Cancer is my semicolon. During this time of my treatment, I've taken a leave from work. For someone who worked 60-70 hours a week to take what will be a 6 month leave, you may think it was a hard adjustment. Nope! I've had minimal interactions with the office and when I do, it reminds me why I took the leave. I just don't want the stress in my life. I mean, isn't cancer treatment enough stress?!
While I've been off work, I've started exercising. Not making much progress, steroids and cancer drugs don't allow for much progress. But I am forming good habits. I walk or bike nearly every day. There have been days my eyes are burning because I'm so tired, but I get outside for a walk, I set a minimum goal and usually exceed it and feel more energetic afterward.
Sounds great but I'm struggling with strength training. I've tried Jillian Michael's videos, but am not getting the results I want. I'd appreciate any suggestions for strength training programs. With 100 lbs to lose, I'm looking for total body, of course getting rid of this belly I can now see would be great, but let's be honest, after years of providing comfort sitting in chairs, my tushy needs to go too!
Thank you for taking the time to read my story. I'm looking forward to my new life after my diagnosis and treatment, if cancer has taught me anything, it's that I have to be me why. We have one precious body to last a lifetime, and I want to keep mine going for a long time.

Replies

• Frenchgrrl
    Frenchgrrl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good Luck to you in your journey back towards full and complete health!

I hear so much promise in your posting. I hear clarity. I hear determination. I hear understanding. I hear a gritty acceptance of a new way forward.

Work is also my jam. So is my husband and my son. I understand at 59 what I didn't at 40 - that my relationship with MYSELF must take precedence over all of the above. That starts with my physical, mental and emotional health.

You are walking or biking almost every day?! Yesssss! Each step you take moves your path forward into a bright, healthy future you.

If your budget allows, get yourself a fitbit and a set of hand weights. The Fitbit tracks your calories burned so you can do the math every single day. Ate 1800 calories? You need to have burned a bit more. That's all there is to it. Burn 1801 if you must but make sure you are at a deficit the vast majority of the time.

Stretch and hold for 30 seconds. No pain allowed, just a gentle stretch. Maybe only your legs or your shoulders for the first few months, gradually add more.

Same with weights. Lift 5 lbs of weight 3 x each arm. That's it. Do it again the next day. Gradually add one more lift. Do it so slowly you would be embarrassed to tell your 20 year old self that is your daily routine.

This helps you realize that CONSISTENCY wins. Not power, not speed.

Please keep us all posted on your recovery and your growing return to good health and an improved work/life balance.