Fitbit people! This questions for you!

Options
Do fitbits seriously not count roller blading as steps? I skated for 35min and it only counted 3000 steps....is that right do u think?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right to me.

Walking has you stepping/swinging your arms at a steady rhythm while rollerblading involves holding each step for a bit while the wheels turn. That would mean fewer reps per minute.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Honestly I only get about 100 steps per minute even doing kickboxing workouts. Only certain Shaun T. cardio workouts net me more than that. (I have a Fitbit One, which I believe has been discontinued, so it is not one of the wrist models, though.)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How many steps do you think it should be and why?🤔
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    On a brisk walk, I usually clock right around 100 steps per minute. I would expect fewer for gliding along on wheels. Just another vote for "I think that sounds about right, actually."
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that sounds about right to me as well.
  • Greatful1981
    Greatful1981 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Idk really. I think I'd like to know more calorie wise....how many calories burned in 35min of rollerblading. Medium paced. Arms striding.
    But I think the calorie burn should be equivalent to 5000 steps.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Idk really. I think I'd like to know more calorie wise....how many calories burned in 35min of rollerblading. Medium paced. Arms striding.
    But I think the calorie burn should be equivalent to 5000 steps.

There are dozens of websites online that give you estimated calorie burns for various exercises. Find one that has inline skating.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have not been able to find a definitive answer on how fitbit calculates calorie burn, whether it's based on steps, heart rate, combination, etc. But... I think the calorie burn that it figures should be somewhat accurate since your heart rate would have been elevated ,regardless of how many "steps" it clocked
  • Greatful1981
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I have not been able to find a definitive answer on how fitbit calculates calorie burn, whether it's based on steps, heart rate, combination, etc. But... I think the calorie burn that it figures should be somewhat accurate since your heart rate would have been elevated ,regardless of how many "steps" it clocked

Ya I wish it was more calorie burned focused than steps..

• hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

Ya I wish it was more calorie burned focused than steps..

Then get one with constant HR tracking. I have the Alta HR (used Charge HR previously), and so far the overall daily burn has been accurate for whatever I have done that day. By accurate, I mean that counting the deficit between that and my food journal matches my actual weight loss. Fitbit has different models for people with different goals, get one that’s suited for you.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Log rollerblading in Fitbit’s exercise section
  • lumo1980
    lumo1980 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fitbit use your arm's movement to count steps, depending on how mobile you are it will under or over report them when doing an activity.
  • Greatful1981
    Options
    I have a Fitbit charge 2. What one do I need to be more calorie burned focused?
  • Greatful1981
    Options
    Does mfp food logs sync with charge 2?
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I roller skate. Its not quite the same motion as walking. It does count towards my calorie burn which is more important to me