Elimination Diet

Options
I have been asked by my dr to try the elimination diet. Hoping to start it in September. Looking for tips on what to eat/what not to eat, recipes, breakfast ideas, things to buy. Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What is your doctor hoping to determine by having you do this?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm confused to. Is "elimination diet" the whole term? Elimination of what, anything specific? I've heard a lot of people use the whole30 diet, is that what you're talking about? From what i've heard they have lots of recipes and ideas.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Elimination of what? Common allergens, certain proteins, sugars, what exactly?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I guess I'm confused to. Is "elimination diet" the whole term? Elimination of what, anything specific? I've heard a lot of people use the whole30 diet, is that what you're talking about? From what i've heard they have lots of recipes and ideas.

Elimination diets are used as a month in figuring out what specific food your body might be adversely reacting to. It's useful for things like food intolerances and sensitivities. Basically you stop eating the foods that you expect that you're sensitive to and then slowly add them back in to see what you are reacting to. Why the OP is asking us for suggestions I don't know given that we don't' know their history. This is really a question for their doctor.
  • hesn92
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Elimination diets are used as a month in figuring out what specific food your body might be adversely reacting to. It's useful for things like food intolerances and sensitivities. Basically you stop eating the foods that you expect that you're sensitive to and then slowly add them back in to see what you are reacting to. Why the OP is asking us for suggestions I don't know given that we don't' know their history. This is really a question for their doctor.

Well that's why I'm confused. The OP said her doctor wants her to do an elimination diet and asks us for suggestions on what to eat, yet didn't specify what the they are eliminating. But I didn't know if "elimination diet" was a term for a specific diet, like whole 30.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something? Your doctor should tell you what to eat and not to eat; you have to make meals with what you're allowed to eat at each stage; you have to buy ingredients for what you're going to make.

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. My GP asked me to go gluten-free as a trial, and was *very* clear about what she was wanting me to cut out.
  • hesn92
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you are supposed to be eliminating, but Whole 30 is a great program with tons of recipes available. But again, it depends on what foods you are supposed to be elimination.

I'm currently following a Carnivore Diet as an extreme elimination diet to get to the bottom of my food intolerances and digestive issues. I started with only animal products but quickly realized that goat dairy and eggs were giving me issues. Since my diet is so extremely limited right now, it was easy to pinpoint what foods were causing me issues. Starting in September, I'm going to reintroduce foods one at a time and wait 4 days between each new food to see if I have issues with anything else. Luckily I don't have any true allergies, but have discovered intolerances to wheat/gluten, soy, dairy (goat and cow), and eggs.

Elimination diets are used to identify allergens or intolerances. This should be directed by a physician with possible input by a RD. Are you either of those things?

Those who have pointed the OP back to their doctor are correct. A forum is not the place to get directions for this protocol.

Are you saying that going on a whole 30 type diet without the supervision of a doctor is dangerous to your health?
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    No Whole 30 is not a "good starting point". The specific directions of the physician is a good starting point.

My apologies, I should have clarified...it's a good place to start if you don't have specific instructions from your doctor. But I agree that they should check in with the doctor first before starting anything.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you are supposed to be eliminating, but Whole 30 is a great program with tons of recipes available. But again, it depends on what foods you are supposed to be elimination.

I'm currently following a Carnivore Diet as an extreme elimination diet to get to the bottom of my food intolerances and digestive issues. I started with only animal products but quickly realized that goat dairy and eggs were giving me issues. Since my diet is so extremely limited right now, it was easy to pinpoint what foods were causing me issues. Starting in September, I'm going to reintroduce foods one at a time and wait 4 days between each new food to see if I have issues with anything else. Luckily I don't have any true allergies, but have discovered intolerances to wheat/gluten, soy, dairy (goat and cow), and eggs.

Elimination diets are used to identify allergens or intolerances. This should be directed by a physician with possible input by a RD. Are you either of those things?

Those who have pointed the OP back to their doctor are correct. A forum is not the place to get directions for this protocol.

Are you saying that going on a whole 30 type diet without the supervision of a doctor is dangerous to your health?

No, but doing Whole30 instead of whatever their doctor has in mind could potentially be dangerous. We have no idea what OP's doctor thinks might be the issue here.

Exactly!