First Week Post Keto

Almost a week since I stopped Keto after having done it for six months, losing 60 pounds. I also just stopped HBP medication. I am now up 3 pounds for the week. Not sure which is adding the weight, the diet change or the water retention from stopping the HBP meds. I currently weigh 209 and I am 5-9. I started at 270 and my goal is 169, so I have about 40 to go.

My plan is to do a 1,500 calorie diet, tracking all the way. I am a bit impatient. I always thought of Keto as a sprint and not a marathon. I always wanted to finish as quickly as possible so I could get to a maintenance diet of more balanced foods. Well, I tired of Keto, so am willing to take a short term hit on the way to my goal, but I am getting a bit concerned that this weight gain will continue. Not sure I can watch it go a whole lot higher without jumping back on the Keto train though I do feel like I am eating so much healthier now.

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    It's water weight.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited August 2018
    I agree with everyone else that it's water weight from going back to carbs, and that's ok because water isn't what people want to be losing with weight loss anyway. Keto doesn't have any advantage for fat loss (which is what people really want to lose).
    Also could be related to stopping the BP meds if you were on a med that had a diuretic in it. Did you stop the BP meds based on your doctor's advice or just because you felt it was ok to do so (bad idea if you ask me)? Either way, keep monitoring your BP bc it may go back up after stopping meds. Some people aren't able to get off BP meds long term even with positive life style changes.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    I tried Keto, but found that it really aggravated my chronic pain due to back surgery and spinal cord injury. I find I do better eating a mostly plant based diet with added servings of healthy fats (cold pressed oils, avocado, walnuts, sardines, salmon). You have to do what works best for your body in the long term. I liked the "jump start" weight loss of Keto, but like you I put on water weight as soon as I came off Keto. If you concentrate on healthy portion sizes and get exercise, you can lose weight without going to extremes.
  • hjsportsed1
    hjsportsed1 Posts: 52 Member
    sarjenki wrote: »
    Did you stop the BP meds based on your doctor's advice or just because you felt it was ok to do so (bad idea if you ask me)? Either way, keep monitoring your BP bc it may go back up after stopping meds. Some people aren't able to get off BP meds long term even with positive life style changes.
    I monitored my BP over the last three days after stopping it and it was normal. I sent the details to my doctor and he said it was OK for me to stop taking them.
  • hjsportsed1
    hjsportsed1 Posts: 52 Member
    Bichon42 wrote: »
    I am finding Keto is very healthy for me. Three months ago, due to the fact my cardio told me to change to low carb. I started out slowly. Doing low carbs and no sugar, candy, bread, fattening deserts and all. Only had 30 pounds to go to my ideal weight. I lost 13 pounds this way. I decided to do a Keto Diet for the other 17 pounds. It is definitely working, along with the help of MFP. I weigh everything and am eating extremely healthy. No desire for bread or sweets. I watch the macros. KETO suggests 70% good fats (olive oil, olives, avocado, eggs, flaxseed and all) 5- 10% carbs, and 20% protein. I do about 60 + fats, a little over 10 % carbs and a little over 20% protein. I eat a little over 1000 cal. And, you have to drink plenty of water, to flush out the ketones. On Keto, you are rarely hungry. Partly, because all the water you drink. I find this way of eating to be very healthy and even after I get down to my ideal weight, will eat this way, with a few more carbs.

I guess maybe that is why I didn't feel healthy eating Keto. My fats consisted of burgers, sausage, bacon, etc. Not the healthy fats that you spoke about. I feel much healthier on my calorie deficit diet now eating more chicken, turkey, etc. I will see how it goes. I may reboot the Keto in a more healthy way eventually.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Almost a week since I stopped Keto after having done it for six months, losing 60 pounds. I also just stopped HBP medication. I am now up 3 pounds for the week. Not sure which is adding the weight, the diet change or the water retention from stopping the HBP meds. I currently weigh 209 and I am 5-9. I started at 270 and my goal is 169, so I have about 40 to go.

My plan is to do a 1,500 calorie diet, tracking all the way. I am a bit impatient. I always thought of Keto as a sprint and not a marathon. I always wanted to finish as quickly as possible so I could get to a maintenance diet of more balanced foods. Well, I tired of Keto, so am willing to take a short term hit on the way to my goal, but I am getting a bit concerned that this weight gain will continue. Not sure I can watch it go a whole lot higher without jumping back on the Keto train though I do feel like I am eating so much healthier now.

When you cut carbs, you also cut a lot of water initially...when you introduce carbs back into your diet, you're going to retain more water. Every gram of carbohydrate holds 4 grams of water.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    belleflop wrote: »
    There is no weight loss advantage in doing keto.

What the, huh? Is this /sarcasm?

Let's see what science says about it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16685046/