I don't think I can do it.

Options

Replies

• snappy45
    Options
    You can do it. It's not about the goal, it's about the journey. Unless you make permanent changes then whats the point. The weight will just come back. MFP helps you to be mindfull about what you eat and how much you eat so your serving sizes are smaller and sometimes you say no because you're too close to your limit for the day. It is hard, real hard at first but your appetite will go down and you will be satisfied with less. Just give it time. I am in my fifties so it is harder and the weight comes off slower but it's happening and now I know that I can't eat the way I did in my twenties and it's for life, no going back to not counting calories. Once I loose my weight I will be able to eat more but never as much. I'm not stopping and neither should you. Let's do this thing!
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I felt exactly the same way as you. Some days I still do. And you know what, both you and I are not alone. There are so many people who feel the same way. Because it is hard. Changing your life in such a positive way is not easy. You need to tell yourself what I do, and that is that "I am doing all that I can do and that is to eat right and exercise".
    There is no point focusing on how much you need to lose. Focusing on the past won't change anything for your future.

MFP has helped me see that it CAN be done! The success stories of others have shown me it is more than possible.

I wish you all the luck. Please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Go hang out in the Success Stories forum for a little while. You'll see people that have just as much and more to lose than you, and you'll see that it took months and months and sometimes years for them to do it.

Start small - make mini goals and don't get too overwhelmed with the big number.
  • shashaz2002
    Options
    You can do it.

What's the worst that can happen??
  • Maya_Erin
    Options
    Thank you guys! I have to keep everything you said in mind. I do want to change so bad. I honestly did it think it would be hard.. because all my life I was tall skinny Maya.. I'm going to keep telling myself I CAN do it. When I think about it I am making change. I never drank water so much. I really never had to drive to exercise either.. That makes me feel like I am ready.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to be patient lol. It takes time. On average, its bet to lose 1-2lb a week. Ive lost 50lb and its taken me a while but as I tell everyone "slow and steady wins the race"
  • KellyS0828
    KellyS0828 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I started at 228 lbs last year. I am down to 189 lbs. now. It has been slow going and very hard at times. Just remember you will have bad days. Sometimes really bad days. And some days you have to give yourself that cookie or milkshake. But always pick up with your diet again on the next meal or the next day. And keep active. Exercise 4-6 times a week. You can do it.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Maya~

OF COURSE you can do it and you WILL!!!

You can see my "stats" with my starting, current and goal weights and you can also see that my "journey" is going to be a long one.
    I am old enough to be your "very cool Aunt" (age 50) and have been on diets since I was younger than you are and here is one of easiest and BEST tips that I've gotten and want you to think about:

Think of your weight in decades (like 190s, 180s) and set your "MINIgoal" as a new decade.

My first MINI was to get to ONEDERLAND and have that magic #1 in front of my weight! Now I'm dropping through the 190s and am so close to the 180s I can taste it!

MINI GOALS come and go MUCH quicker than looking at the BIG picture and will give you more satisfaction more frequently.

Wishing you the very best of luck with this and stop by and let us know how you're doing, OK?
  • lindasain
    lindasain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

yes you can do it..
    Just keep it up and it will show up soon. I have lost 67 pounds since Nov. at first it took it took awhile for me to lose.. i learn the more i track my food the better my weight loss.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    You've got some great advice and support. The only thing I would add is think about 3 or 4 months from now. You can be exactly right where you are right now, feeling bad about how you look. Or, you can day by day make changes to live a healthier and fitter life and look and feel better. Go to the Success Stories forum and check out what some people have done in a few months. You CAN do it.
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    You know you want the weight off. So, you have a choice. You can take it hour by hour, day by day and do the best you can with each and every choice you make. If you make a healthy choice, you're one step toward getting the weight off, if you make an unhealthy choice, you don't advance.
    The difference is, if you don't keep walking, TRYING, you will not be making any progress and will probably not only not reach your goal, but you may add on more pounds.
    The only healthy way to lose weight is to sweat the small stuff and let the scale go down on its own in its own good time. .5 per week is even a good weight loss. At first you might lose 2-3 or more pounds per week, but if you are losing weight the healthy way, you will find that you will lose some weeks, not lose others and maybe even gain a bit some weeks and that is normal.
    You have to increase your movement as you lose weight and change your routine from time to time to fool your body.
    Why not promise yourself to keep trying every day and not beat yourself up on the bad days? Every healthy choice is good for you! You can do it because it WILL get easier if you expect different things from yourself.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Look at the before and after shots someone just posted after losing 57 pounds. AWESOME!!! I started my journey on 01/18/2011 and met my goal by the end of June. I lost 40 pounds and went down 5 sizes. You can do it...it is acheivable! Don't give up. Take every day as it is. JUST DON"T GIVE UP or next year you will be here with 70 to lose :) Seriously, this is something you can do!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Maya just remember there are countless people on this website that are proof that YOU CAN DO THIS. There is nothing special about any of the successful folks here that makes them more able to do this than you. We all have to overcome our little demons and find a healthy lifestyle that will work for us. Use the many friendly and helpful folks here for idea, motivation or even just to vent your frustrations. Whatever you do, don't give up on living healthy. It will be worth it in the end.
  • palsluoma
    Options
    Maya ~ I just started MFP last week and the first week that I followed it, I lost 4lbs. I have been on diets before and I have been on WW before ~ but I really think that this is a great site. We can read other people's stories and get motivation from them and best of all it's FREE!! Just take it day by day, step by step! I have had really great days, and not so great days...but I am committed to if nothing else...journaling EVERYDAY!! So stick w/it and don't put too much pressure on yourself! Even a half pound down...is weight gone!! So stay focused and please feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Maya_Erin
    Options
    Thank you! to the last few people that commented.. I feel so much better.. just got home from my workout.. You guys made me realize I AM trying and I CAN get to my goal.. And when I do get there I'm going to be asking myself what was all the fuss about!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It has taken me two years to lose 55 lbs. Hopefully this is not discouraging to you. This is the first time I have lost that much and kept it off. I have not gained it back and I think it is because this time I did it the right way. Slowly with exercise and eating the best I can.

I have about 70 more to lose, and it is taking a long time (I've hit a plateau), but I am not going to give it up. I know I can do it, and I know YOU can do it! All the best to you in your journey!
  • thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I have to keep everything you said in mind. I do want to change so bad. I honestly did it think it would be hard.. because all my life I was tall skinny Maya.. I'm going to keep telling myself I CAN do it. When I think about it I am making change. I never drank water so much. I really never had to drive to exercise either.. That makes me feel like I am ready.

I went through this exact same thing. It came off, all of the baby weight and then some.

BUT it did take time and lots of hard work. It's worth it. You're worth it.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Adding my woohoo girl you can do it too!!!

but I also want to add....You have an incredibly beautiful smile! It really lights up your whole face!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I have 50lbs to loose and I feel like I'm not going to able to do it. Although I am watching my calories,exercising and drinking my water and lost 3lbs. I just can't help but think it's not enough, maybe I need to paitent idk. Help? Personal stories? Advice? TIA

Yes, you do need to be patient. I remember signing on to MFP in January and seeing people's tickers that showed big weight losses and mine had only 1kg lost and 19 to go. It didn't seem possible that I could get there but I decided not to think that way but just to do it one day at a time.

8 months later I'm nearly 20kg (43 pounds) lighter, I can run for miles, and I feel so much healthier.

Don't waste time worrying about the end point, put your energies into the next step, the next bite, the next day, the next cuddle with your little one.
    You CAN do it!
  • Jasmine_Moonstone
    Jasmine_Moonstone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I also felt that way many times over before I started this journey. I have also felt that way a few times along the way. I have also said to myself SO many times in the past that I was going to loose the weight & had the feeling that I couldn't do this. All of those times I told myself there was NO way I could do this & NO way I could keep it off afterwards, guess what, I failed, gained the weight back & then some.

However this year I changed that. I started this & said I CAN do this, I WILL do this. And guess what, I have. I started on Jan 1st of this year. As of last Monday, August 15th, I have lost 45lbs! I told myself that no matter what I was going to loose the weight this time & keep it off. :)

So, I tell you, if I can do this, then so can you. I still have another 35lbs to loose before I hit my goal weight, but the rewards of 45lbs have been SO worth all of the hard work. This is not easy, but it is worth it. I have had so many people come up to me in the last couple of weeks & compliment me on my weight loss & tell me how awsome I look. That is so freakin awsome. So, I promise you that you CAN do this, but you have to believe in yourself. Good Luck! I wish you the best!