Exercise for weight loss, joint issues

Options
Every time i start exercising i injure myself, i guess due to excess weight on my joints. I thought of trying tabata yoga as yoga makes me feel great but doesnt really help with calorie burn or toning, but reviews suggest you should be fit before doing it. Suggestions?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    walking - focus on using good form and have good supportive shoes
  • susiemcmac
    susiemcmac Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Swimming - great cardio and easy on the joints
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Your diet is going to have far more impact on your weight loss than exercise. Personally, I started out just walking and built up from there. Many people try to go from nothing to a bunch of exercise overnight, and all that is going to do is result in injury. Walk...start moving...get your body used to moving and build on that over time.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Start slowly with walking and gentle stretching. Then add light weights (and I mean really light, like 2 pounds). Keep track of your eating and portion sizes. As you gradually lose weight and get stronger, the process gets easier. Walking to the end of my street was rough when I weighed 196 lbs--I began by walking to the closest neighbor's mail box and added a "mailbox" to my route each day. Baby steps work.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What exercises have you injured yourself doing?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    start slow. walk, swim. Those are both low impact.
  • Storm985
    Storm985 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    After problems with my back, I realised I had to lose weight first.

I lost a stone and suddenly could do more (low impact). As I lose weight, I’ll pick up the exercise.

Unfortunately, I was very hungry to start with as I had no exercise calories!
  • julanig612
    julanig612 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What exercises have you injured yourself doing?

Jogging and dancing to the fitness marshall......
    Injured my hip with the first and got a stress fracture from the second.....
  • julanig612
    julanig612 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Storm985 wrote: »
    After problems with my back, I realised I had to lose weight first.

I lost a stone and suddenly could do more (low impact). As I lose weight, I’ll pick up the exercise.

Unfortunately, I was very hungry to start with as I had no exercise calories!

I know, right. So hungry.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    The type of injury you get/have will tell you what to avoid. It’s a good idea to speak with someone in sports medicine for suggestions, or whoever is treating your injuries.

I injured myself 3x walking so even though it’s supposed to be a low impact and fairly safe exercise, and I’d wanted to jog eventually (eyeing that couch25k stuff on here) it’s not what I can do much of. I hurt my knee & my calf muscle. So I try to do what takes my body weight off my legs. Stationary bike & swimming. And for injury prevention I do strength (body weight) for my hips & glutes, and foam rolling. As directed by a physiotherapist.