Trying keto

Options
Well I’m trying Keto. Thought about it long before it became as big as it is. I don’t really need to lose weight. But, I’m just curious to see if it’s as good as everyone raves that it is. I’m on day 5 now. I hit “ keto flu” on day two and it was horrible. Yesterday I had to write an exam and with next to no carbs in my body for four days at that point, I could barely put the words together in the questions to make sense of them ( I managed to squeak out an 80% on a subject I easily could have gotten mid 90s on).

I cane down with a cold yesterday : I rarely get sick.

Just wondering if any keto peeps out there that could provide some insight? I kind of went into this blindly. I rarely eat over 1000 calories per day. And living in such a fat packed diet kind of had my freaking out a bit.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat keto, you have to eat more salt to avoid keto flu.

If you don't like to eat a diet high in fat, maybe keto isn't for you.

It's your intake over time that counts. You have to eat more than 1000 calories on average. If you think you're eating 1000 calories on average, something is wrong with your maths.
  • Surecutie
    Surecutie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you’re in ketosis your body is spilling out all of your sodium and electrolytes hourly. Add more salt (bone broth helps) and make sure your magnesium and potassium are up to par or the body cramps will be next.
  • judipatootie
    judipatootie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I’m definitely increasing the salt intake. And adding electrolytes to my water. I just look forward to when this part is over and I find the energy that every speaks of.

I’ve reached ketosis before, but by a much less healthy means. It wasn’t as hard on me as this was though.
  • judipatootie
    Options
    My maths are on point. I really eat very little. And it’s trying to eat to keep up my macros that I’m struggling with. It feels like a lot of food. I usually run to do some other form of workout to burn off the calories but I havnt energy right now to do that
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    My maths are on point. I really eat very little. And it’s trying to eat to keep up my macros that I’m struggling with. It feels like a lot of food. I usually run to do some other form of workout to burn off the calories but I havnt energy right now to do that

And you most likely won’t have the energy for it if you’re eating 1000 or less calories per day. Keto or no keto, you’re not even providing enough fuel for your body’s basic metabolic functions, let alone extra movement like exercise.
  • ketofatty18
    ketofatty18 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am on the keto diet as we speak. Add me for I want motivation and like to give it. I was 275 lbs on July 16th and am now 239.8 on the date of this post. Keto is the way to go. First week was brutal but now it's just a lifestyle.
  • ketofatty18
    ketofatty18 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

This is not a good way to live. If you are even remotely active you should be averaging 2000 calories a day. My keto calculator says 2800 due to my walking and daily work but I maintain a 2100 diet and go down each month by 100. Even if you find a meal plan and follow just that you will eat about 1500 which is good for rapid weight loss for non active people. I suggest a macro calculator to show you what your calorie intake should be.
  • judipatootie
    Options
    I am 5 ‘2”. I was 135 lbs last I looked, but that was a year ago. I don’t use a scale anymore because I have some eating issues.

I lost about 40 lbs last year: in a very unhealthy way. I admit I have very unhealthy views towards food. And sadly, if I were to eat more than 1200 calories per day, normally, I would, and do, gain weight.

I am active. I do yoga. I run. I bike. I prefer to work out in the morning on a calorie deficit and then eat when I’m done. I decided to try keto for the other health benefits that I hear about: and I don’t deny, that although I really don’t need to lose weight, I’d like to.

The keto flu hit me hard. And yes: perhaps I wasn’t getting enough calories in since there are almost no carbs in my daily intake now. But then there is also the fear of seeing those calorie number rising to what’s not comfortable with my mindset: from where I cane from last year. I’m trying hard not to look at the numbers, and just concentrate on the macros instead. I just wish I would hurry up and get past this lethargy stage of the transition.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I am 5 ‘2”. I was 135 lbs last I looked, but that was a year ago. I don’t use a scale anymore because I have some eating issues.

I lost about 40 lbs last year: in a very unhealthy way. I admit I have very unhealthy views towards food. And sadly, if I were to eat more than 1200 calories per day, normally, I would, and do, gain weight.

I am active. I do yoga. I run. I bike. I prefer to work out in the morning on a calorie deficit and then eat when I’m done. I decided to try keto for the other health benefits that I hear about: and I don’t deny, that although I really don’t need to lose weight, I’d like to.

The keto flu hit me hard. And yes: perhaps I wasn’t getting enough calories in since there are almost no carbs in my daily intake now. But then there is also the fear of seeing those calorie number rising to what’s not comfortable with my mindset: from where I cane from last year. I’m trying hard not to look at the numbers, and just concentrate on the macros instead. I just wish I would hurry up and get past this lethargy stage of the transition.

The bolded comments are raising some flags for me. If you've not already done so, may I suggest you speak with your doctor and get him/her to refer you to a Registered Dietician? I'm concerned for you. :(

Seconded. I find your posts worrisome.

Additionally, this sounds like keto may not be for you. Some people find it isn't. In fact there are members here who found that keto made their depression considerably worse. Not saying that you have depression, I don't recall you saying that. Just that it is one of the negative reactions people have reported with keto.

Please take better care of yourself.
  • judipatootie
    Options

The bolded comments are raising some flags for me. If you've not already done so, may I suggest you speak with your doctor and get him/her to refer you to a Registered Dietician? I'm concerned for you. :( [/quote]

:(

When I look at the comments that are bolder, I too see that I’m still struggling more than I thought I was.

I am seeing a therapist currently to help me deal with the issues that led me to this.

I’ll keep trying the keto for just a couple more weeks, because in honesty, I’m probably taking in more nutrients on it than I was before I started cutting carbs.

Thank you for your honesty.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

When I look at the comments that are bolder, I too see that I’m still struggling more than I thought I was.

I am seeing a therapist currently to help me deal with the issues that led me to this.

I’ll keep trying the keto for just a couple more weeks, because in honesty, I’m probably taking in more nutrients on it than I was before I started cutting carbs.

Thank you for your honesty.

And thank you for yours! I was going to suggest seeing a therapist, but some folks tend to take that the wrong way. I'm so glad you have one on your team.

Wishing you well, and keep us posted! <3

Edited to add: Fellow Ontarian, here. <waves>