293lbs starting to excersise ?????

Options
I’m going to start to exercise Saturday but I don’t want to over do it . I’ll be using an Eleptical . How long should I do it for ? Any other ideas?

Replies

• enchantingella1
    enchantingella1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    start small with walking or stationary bike also. 5 mins is better than nothing. i finally managed 15 yesterday. taken me awhile to get there but onwards and upwards. some strength training will also help you lose faster. am a qualified pt working on losing 60 kilos myself so feel free to ask me stuff
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I just walk on the treadmill at a comfortable pace. I check heart rate every few minutes and adjust speed and incline to keep it 100-105 at first. After 7 months I cut back when it hits 125.
  • s1im62
    s1im62 Posts: 29,756 Member
    Options
    For most of us, there's a temptation to overdo it at first. You're motivated, and want to see results ASAP! The problem is that it's all too easy to get an injury, or get depressed due to excessive fatigue, either of which can kill your motivation and halt your exercise program before it really gets started.

The 'take it easy at first' advice is the best IMO, but don't sell yourself short either. If you can maintain a slow to moderate pace for 15-20 minutes and work up a sweat and heart-rate of 100-120, you're off to a great start, and can extend duration and intensity as your body responds over the course of several weeks.

If you haven't talked to your doctor yet, I'd suggest getting a check-up to be sure your heart and blood pressure are good to go for the program you're starting.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i first started around your weight.

i could BARELY do 10 minutes. BARELY.

do what you can, and work up from there.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    When I started using the elliptical I could barely survive 5 minutes.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I was a similar weight and started walking to work once a week, it was taking me around 45 mins and I was knacker'd but now 8 months later I'm doing it in 30 mins and not even out of breath. Build it up gradually and enjoy it rather than rush and feel it's too much.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Stretch your legs before and after - minimize muscle soreness the next day. Try to do 10 minutes. Then 11 the next day and so on. Basically just keep showing up and try to do a little more each time. You will be amazed with your progress a few months from now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I’m going to start to exercise Saturday but I don’t want to over do it . I’ll be using an Eleptical . How long should I do it for ? Any other ideas?

Are you going to be at a gym where treadmills are also available? I agree with the others who suggest starting with walking instead.

If the elliptical is at your house, you could jump on and off it as you feel comfortable doing so, but like others have also said, do be careful to not overdue.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Stretch your legs before and after - minimize muscle soreness the next day. Try to do 10 minutes. Then 11 the next day and so on. Basically just keep showing up and try to do a little more each time. You will be amazed with your progress a few months from now.

You should warm up before you stretch.
  • Cascadae
    Cascadae Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Dont start to hard so that u dont get frustrated so soon, start step by step as what people said earlier in comments, just dont think too much about loosing weight have fun and when u realize u will be already lost some weight without even noticing it

Cheers! o:)
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Start slow and build from there.

If all you can do is a 15 minute walk, then do that. I suggest keeping a little notebook on your workouts: a cheap pocket spiral is perfect. Write down your time, distance and how you feel.

Every few weeks, see if you can increase duration. If not, that's okay.

About once a month, look back to see where you were. Even when progress seems slow, looking back to where you were a month ago can be wonderfully surprising.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Yeah skip the cardio all together and just lift weights for when you first start. I lost 98lbs without doing a lick of cardio, not kidding at all.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Well. Did you start. How did it go? To get results rinse and repeat regularly. Increase time/intensity as you progress. Add a calorie deficit and you will lose weight and get healthier and more fit.