Upset stomach after shirataki noodles?

Options
Hi all,

Last night I was suuuuper hungry for dinner but already had a huge sandwich for lunch, so I decided to go the low-calorie route and have tofu-shirataki noodles instead of regular wheat pasta. I had two packages of the shirataki noodles (I regularly eat one package at time w/ no issues, this wasn't my first time having them), but I woke up at 5 am this morning with a stomach ache and it hasn't gone away yet. :( I'm not nauseous and don't have gas or diarrhea, but I just have no appetite and my stomach hurts and feels bloated. I had a cup of coffee, some Pepto, and a few sips of milk today, and don't feel like eating a meal.

Has this happened to anyone before? I think it's the noodles that did it, because I generally feel OK except for the stomach ache and appetite loss (I don't have that general crappy feeling you get with a virus or food poisoning). This was not my first time eating shirataki nootles, but it was my first time eating two packages in one meal.

Thanks!

Replies

• Naomi852021
    Naomi852021 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So...a couple of years ago I overdosed on shiritaki noodles. I thought I had finally found the answer to all my troubles and I would never be hungry again in my life. So one day I completely over did it. I probably had around 4 packets...I felt so nauseous, I haven't touched them again since. I think it's the cognac flour water stuff they come in. I have been sick from many foods in my life, but the shiritaki noodles disaster really left a bad taste in my mouth. I feel sick just writing and thinking about it now..

That fishy smell when you take them out of their packet...

I think that some people just have weird reactions to them. I hope you feel better soon.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I bought some but have yet to cook and try them yet. You guys are scaring me! I didn't realize I may need to use a sauce made of Pepto :wink:
  • pastaismyundoing
    pastaismyundoing Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Haha, they're not that bad. I've eaten them on many occasions (just one pack at a time though) and never had any problems. Just rinse them really well, dry them, and don't expect them to be like real pasta and you should be fine. If you're nervous about trying them just do half the package and see how you like them. They're a bit rubbery compared to wheat noodles and have almost no flavor, and I think they go better with Asian-style dishes where you might use rice noodles rather than Italian-style dishes.

I think I just kind of overdosed on them too and my guts are paying the price. While they are palatable if prepared right, they're about as digestible as sawdust.
  • KarlynKeto
    Options
    Haha, they're not that bad. I've eaten them on many occasions (just one pack at a time though) and never had any problems. Just rinse them really well, dry them, and don't expect them to be like real pasta and you should be fine. If you're nervous about trying them just do half the package and see how you like them. They're a bit rubbery compared to wheat noodles and have almost no flavor, and I think they go better with Asian-style dishes where you might use rice noodles rather than Italian-style dishes.

I think I just kind of overdosed on them too and my guts are paying the price. While they are palatable if prepared right, they're about as digestible as sawdust.

I hope you feel better soon, at least you know you won't do that again :wink: . I am still nervous to try them now, but thanks for the heads up on how to prepare them. I really had no idea how to prep them, hence why they are still in my pantry.
  • KarlynKeto
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    All it is is water and indigestible fiber. If you don't have a lot of fiber in your diet normally, then probably eating a bunch of it at once, no matter the source, will cause you to have digestive problems until you get used to it.

Fiber One bars are delicious...but eating a whole box is yeah...

I eat a surprising amount of fiber for being Keto, but I will keep this in mind and start SMALL!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I can have 1/2 a package at the most at a time because of the stomach aches.
  • pastaismyundoing
    Options
    All it is is water and indigestible fiber. If you don't have a lot of fiber in your diet normally, then probably eating a bunch of it at once, no matter the source, will cause you to have digestive problems until you get used to it.

That's the thing though - I eat a really high-fiber diet! I try to exceed the daily recommendation of fiber because I'm hypothyroid and have a severe problem with things "slowing down" when I don't eat a lot of fiber. I think this time I outdid myself though. :\
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    They call Konjac "the broom of the stomach" for a reason. Lol
  • pastaismyundoing
    Options
    Ugghhh lesson learned. I did manage to eat something but my stomach still hurts (the food made it hurt a bit more).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've never had an issue..
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    How did you cook them? That fishy smelling water they come in is a preservative called calcium hydroxide that could potentially cause stomach upset if the noodles are not rinsed and drained properly.
  • pastaismyundoing
    Options
    I just rinsed them under hot water for a couple minutes and let them drain thoroughly. Then I just at them with pasta sauce and meatballs (normally I do Asian sauces with shirataki noodles). At least my stomach is feeling better now though...
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Glad you're feeling better! I always boil mine for a few minutes before I put them in a stir fry or add sauce. Maybe something to try next time? (If you're ever planning on eating them again, that is!)
  • 77hays
    77hays Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had half a bag (rinsed and dry fried) with a stir-fry, woke up next morning with a bad gut ache, burning sensation. Bloating got worse during the day. 2nd day now with a gut ache & boating. I'll be throwing the rest of the Miracle Noodles in the garbage. It's not worth feeling this bad.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It's possible it wasn't the noodles at all, just randomly hit with a tummy bug, that night. Personally, I am afraid to eat them because I'm extremely sensitive to tofu and soy stuff and would probably be sick for hours, but with me it happens to minites after eating, not hours. Next couple time you eat them, log amount and time, and see if it happens again. And maybe don't eat so much fibery food in one sitting.
  • Obito_U
    Obito_U Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old post but I agree with the original poster. I've been eating these under the "Skinny Pasta" brand since Saturday. I had 2 packs yesterday 9 calories per pack and my stomach is in pain! I woke up in the middle of the night with this pain and almost called out of work. I thought I found the solution to deal with my pasta cravings because these were low in calories and these noodles dont stink like the others but I dont think I can deal with this pain again its back to zucchini noodles for me.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options

I have done this. Dear god I will never make that mistake again.

• ggakame
    ggakame Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just experience the same and still feeling sick. How do you manage to get better? Did you go to the doctor?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I just experience the same and still feeling sick. How do you manage to get better? Did you go to the doctor?

Have you tried drinking lots of water? Drinking coffee? Eating some fat? (might help things move along a bit easier?)