Body weight workout for skinny guys

Options
restricteur
restricteur Posts: 24 Member
Hello everyone,

My question is quite simple. Has anyone of you guys ever managed to get more muscle and a good looking body using only body weight workouts ?

The persons who are qualified to answer by "yes" here are only those who were skinny before they have started working out.

If that was the case, it would be nice if you shared with me the daily routine you followed.

Best regards,

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am also not qualified by your standards OP but you may want to look at 'you are your own gym' or 'convict conditioning'
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    darebee has a lot of bodyweight stuff...I don't know what you call skinny, but if it's stick arms, then I totally qualify and have been able to gain muscle size...

Muscle growth is driven by work (how much weight you moved and how many times you moved it), so if you aren't going to increase weight (because it's body weight) then you need to increase reps...also keep in mind that some variations of body weight exercises CAN increase the weight...like push ups with elevated feet put a higher percentage of the body weight into the arms than knee pushups or standard floor pushups...
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Another recommendation for Convict Conditioning
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular reason your limiting yourself to bodyweight exercises?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Can you gain muscle with body weight, sure... Is it as optimal as a good liftting program? Nope. Why? Because volume increases and hypertrophy are easier to achieve with weights.

I can tell you i spent way too damn long just using free weights. Because i was stubborn and thought i could get where i wanted with them.. one year into using a barbell and follow a well structured routine, i made far more gains than 4 years of dumbbells.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Can you gain muscle with body weight, sure... Is it as optimal as a good liftting program? Nope. Why? Because volume increases and hypertrophy are easier to achieve with weights.

I can tell you i spent way too damn long just using free weights. Because i was stubborn and thought i could get where i wanted with them.. one year into using a barbell and follow a well structured routine, i made far more gains than 4 years of dumbbells.

More skill/altering body weight movements to make an exercise more difficult is a big obstacle in achieving progressive overload for body weight only movements (I believe AthleanX has a playlist on youtube channel catered to bodyweight/no-minimal equipment training). I.e. going from a pull up to a muscle up (pull up + dip) is a huge spike in difficulty (or even a pull up -> L-pull up).
  • restricteur
    edited August 2018
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Is there a particular reason your limiting yourself to bodyweight exercises?

Yes, I have some simple requirements that are pretty tough to be met by the nearby gyms (or any gym):

-Men only
    -No music
    -Enough equipment to do my workouts without the need to wait for any equipment to be free.
    -Open at least every day from 19:00 to 22:00

• restricteur
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

I am really convinced that weight lifting is the way to go. I just hope I will find a gym that suits me.
  • restricteur
    Options

More skill/altering body weight movements to make an exercise more difficult is a big obstacle in achieving progressive overload for body weight only movements (I believe AthleanX has a playlist on youtube channel catered to bodyweight/no-minimal equipment training). I.e. going from a pull up to a muscle up (pull up + dip) is a huge spike in difficulty (or even a pull up -> L-pull up).

I think I kind of did not well expressed myself. When I speak about body weight only workouts I mean workouts that one can perform using only:
    1. Shoes
    2. Clothing
    3. The floor

This definitely excludes pullups, dips and muscleups, the latter being by the way an awesome movement that cannot be performed by the average guy.
  • restricteur
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    I entered basic at a scrawny 5'6,5" 118lbs. Came out at 135 with lots of muscle. I continued to build muscle throughout the next several years.

That's what I am talking about !!
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Marine Corps for 6 years - every branch that I am aware of uses body weight workouts. Some units might incorporate free weights, but the vast majority do not. Now I won't say you will get huge, buff and ripped, but you will tone up and strengthen quite a bit just doing body weight exercises. Only problem is, to keep pushing yourself, you will have to increase reps and sets, where with weights all you have to do is throw on another plate.
  • restricteur
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    With those restrictions and your gym requirements you're not going to make much overall progress. You're going to need to sit down and seriously consider what you're willing to be flexible on. Either you accept that there are women and music in the majority of gyms or you start spending money on building your own. If you can't bend on some stuff you need to ask yourself whether gaining muscle is really that important to you.

Gaining muscle is certainly not my number one priority in life so I am not willing to be flexible on the first two points for it. However, it's a challenge I would love to take on.

Concerning having my own gym at home it is something that I have been really thinking about for a moment, so if I do not find a convenient gym nearby I may start by buying a dumbbell kit, a weight bench and so on depending on my progress.
  • rsj7799
    rsj7799 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The simple solution is to start doing calisthenics now, and do them until you either find a gym you like or start piecing together a home gym. Waiting for everything to be perfect before doing something is a good way to never start doing it.
  • restricteur
    Options
    jondspen wrote: »
    Now I won't say you will get huge, buff and ripped, but you will tone up and strengthen quite a bit just doing body weight exercises.

Actually I am by no mean trying to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Some good biceps, pectoral muscles and a four pack will do the trick (for the moment :) )
  • restricteur
    Options
    rsj7799 wrote: »
    The simple solution is to start doing calisthenics now, and do them until you either find a gym you like or start piecing together a home gym. Waiting for everything to be perfect before doing something is a good way to never start doing it.

I totally agree. Actually I was in the middle of a two-months, heavy and almost daily cardio program. I have done nearly half of it and I felt some minor improvement. But after asking a question here on MFP I became convinced that cardio is really the wrong way to go to achieve my goal.

Now the only thing I am waiting for is to fully recover from a sickness I got this week.