How to find a good workout routine?

Options
kimbelle_vie
kimbelle_vie Posts: 174 Member
edited August 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I’m searching for advice/tips on how to go about finding a good workout routine. I’ll listed below some options I’ve considered doing just needing a bit of guidance. I’m not a beginner to working out but have gotten out of practice and gained some weight back. My goal is to lose weight, but because I have so much weight to lose I feel cardio only would be best in the beginning to see the scale moving. I’m worried if I incorporate 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels I won’t see the scale move as much. It’s happened in the past when I used her dvd/incorporated weights I toned up and lost inches but little weight. I have about 50-60 pounds to lose.
Any advice?

Option 1:
30 minutes elliptical 3X a week

Option 2:
15 minutes elliptical 30 minutes 30 day shred 3X a week

Option 3:
Alternate days 30 minutes elliptical and 30 minutes 30 day shred 5X a week

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Since you are starting back exercising pick one and do it 3x a week for a couple of weeks, then introduce the other.

Or, you could run your first 2weeks to a month-
    Mon-30DS
    Wed- elliptical
    Fri-30DS
    Then reverse it the next week. Elliptical-30DS-elliptical.

Once your body has adjusted, incorporate both 5x a week alternating days.

Cheers, h.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    why are they your only options?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'd start by understanding how/why you lose weight.
    I'd then do whatever puts you in the best position for consistency and adherence to those factors.

But I'm guessing that doesn't really answer your question the way you want it answered. So let me ask you this - do you want to change your body/appearance, or do you want the number on the scale to change? Which one of those is a greater priority?
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    The best work out routine is the one that you enjoy doing enough to keep on doing it and that you can build on. Find something you like or at least that you don't hate.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    It’s happened in the past when I used her dvd/incorporated weights I toned up and lost inches but little weight.

If you're losing inches, the scale will eventually catch up if you're patient. Trust that you'll lose all the weight if you eat in a calorie deficit for several months, regardless of your exercise routine. This frees you up to choosing exercises based on fitness & health goals, rather than seeing a scale move. :+1:
  • kimbelle_vie
    kimbelle_vie Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for commenting/advice! I’ve decided to stick with the elliptical for now. Increasing 2-5 minutes every 2 weeks.

@TavistockToad since I’m just getting back into the routine of working out these are the options that are available to me at the moment. As I progress I’ll be looking at new workouts to try.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I need variety and I do what I love. I know lifting weights and hiit training are the most effective workouts and I enjoy doing it. I love spinning too so I add it to my leg day. I workout at my work gym 3 days a week. So i lift heavy on those days. One day i teach a muscle/tabata class but i do a double here and add sprints in the afternoon. Other days i workout at home so treadmill work, weights, workout dvds.

The one hour is my time. I have 3 kids and i enjoy this time for myself. Its a habit now and i love doing it.

So now my rountine is:

Monday: lift heavy- shoulders, triceps & abs

Tuesday: double workout day:
    Morning: before class- abs
    teach muscle/Tabata- full body muscle with tabata
    Afternoon: Treadmill- 3 miles

Wednesday: lift heavy- legs and 20 min on spin bike

Thursday: lift heavy- back, chest & abs

Friday: cardio day- treadmill- run/walk-4 miles and abs

Saturdays: dvd or full body muscle/tabata and abs

Sunday: yoga. I think of this day as my recovery day. I worked hard all week and I do yoga to stretch everything out. I look forward to sunday mornings.