Upset stomach after shirataki noodles?

Options
2»

Replies

• ggakame
    ggakame Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I just experience the same and still feeling sick. How do you manage to get better? Did you go to the doctor?

Have you tried drinking lots of water? Drinking coffee? Eating some fat? (might help things move along a bit easier?)

I drunk a lot of water. But I'm afraid of eating, just had some fruit. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience. Spent quite a while in the bathroom. Not worth the calories saved
  • kros1997
    kros1997 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Adding to this post way late but I had about 1 and 2/3 packages last night and woke up at 5am feeling like I was going to throw up...and it’s Thanksgiving! I’m so bummed. I’ve felt nauseous all day but never actually got sick. Coke and water has minimally helped
  • kros1997
    kros1997 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I knew something was wrong when I ate around 8pm and woke up at 5am with a bloated stomach 😓 feeling awful and will never eat this again
  • amberperrier
    amberperrier Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can’t believe these noodles are the reason behind my stomach nightmare. Had the noodles on the Sunday before thanksgiving and literally had to go to the hospital due to the vomiting and other stomach issues. Assumed it was a horrible stomach virus or even suspected E.Coli. After being out of commission for 10 days finally started eating again and had the noodles last night and my stomach is in shambles again! It all makes sense. So sad as these noodles were literally my go to many days of the week.
  • angelicachadwick
    angelicachadwick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    OMGoodness I’m so glad I found this post! This absolutely happened to me yesterday and I have been miserable for over 24 hours self diagnosing myself with things I don’t want to list because they all scared me. I’ve had the noodles before but yesterday I had two packages on an empty stomach. It was so good and I was so happy that these two packages only added up to 20 calories and no carbs! Well boy oh boy did I pay the price! I was up all night - kept feeling like I needed to throw up. Found another article with a warning from an Australian doctor when his 61 year old patient ate them on an empty stomach and her stomach swelled to more than 4 times the size and blocked her up for 10 days. Good gravy! Don’t eat too much at one time. And don’t eat them on an empty stomach! Bummer :(( if it’s too good to be true it probably is.
  • meximami1
    meximami1 Posts: 15 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    i found both the fettuccine type and spaghetti type. the first fettuccine type was merely palatable but the other two times *one fettuccine and one spaghetti* were both horrible. this lead me to having zucchini noodles *as pathetic of a replacement of regular pasta would be, whenever i'm cr :s aving pasta. which means i have no valid comparison anymore. i'll never buy them again . ever.*
  • frandamby
    frandamby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 mornings of late where I wake up about 4-5am and have to run to the bathroom. The nausea wakes me up and the vomit was basically like pouring the just opened packet down the loo!
    It’s only now it’s happened twice I know it’s these noodles (the BareNaked protein ones). Never again!!
    Seems like it happens to a many people...
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Im not surprised. I got an upset stomach just opening the bag and smelling those snot noodles.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    You might not be preparing them correctly.

First, pour into a colander and rinse with cold water until you can’t smell them. Let water drain.

Then, pour into a skillet on medium heat and dry cook (no oil, no butter, no nothing) until they appear dry, stirring them often. Set aside.

Make whatever sauce you’re going to use them with. I usually do sausage, onions, garlic and 1/4 cup spaghetti or pizza sauce.

When sauce is ready, pour noodles into the sauce and mix well. Top with grated parmesan cheese.

Delicious and no stomach issues. 🥘
  • catsady
    catsady Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They're made from Konjac, a root vegetable which has a naturally fishy smell. It's not a preservative. The smell isn't from an additive. That's why they use Konjac to make vegan seafood alternates.

I have had pain, bloating and diarrhoea from eating too much of it but it's not generally bad for you, as long as you're not eating loads of it and/or having it for every meal. It's because it's basically a fibre supplement. Make sure you have plenty of water and that you chew it properly and use in moderation and you should be fine.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    It was probably too much fiber all at once. The same thing happened to me after overdoing it on lentil pasta that was extremely high in fiber.

I eat those noodles too but have only ever had one package at a time and haven’t had an issue yet. I only eat them rarely though.
  • SlimDownLuna
    SlimDownLuna Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is definitely a thing. Some people (and it seems like a lot) have awful reactions to Konjac. After my experience I thought I would share what I did to ease the pain. So I had the Bare Naked Rice three times. 1/4 a pack at a time. First time I had bloating and it hurt but I passed it off as a normal bad belly. I made 1/2 the rice at once, so I ate some more the next afternoon and again had bloating - there wasn't a lot in there so it wasn't bad bad. I put it down to the same upset the same day resurfacing. I didn't have any for weeks after that and had them again (again 1/4 of a pack) and my gosh it was the worst night ever. An hour and half later I was in bits. I am literally allergic or react to nothing. Don't even suffer for hayfever but boy did I react to these! I felt like my stomach was going to explode and it felt like period pains on steroids for a full night. I eased it by use an electric belly on my tummy and back all night. I drank a lot of water. Tried to use the toilet and just let it ride out throughout the night. Two days later and I'm still recovering. I emailed Bare Naked and they blantantly copied and pasted a response, so they must get a lot of complaints. Stay away. It isn't worth the pain.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I- I eat it all the time...for years 🤷🏿‍♀️ The first two posts in this thread made me chuckle though cuz, like, "Whoa...dats a lotta noodles!!"

The quantity/volume alone would make me sick but that would be the same for a large volume of any food.

To the poster above, that's definitely a bad reaction. Didn't know so many people were averse. Perhaps kelp noodles if you're still trying to find a lower carb alternative to pasta.
  • danny87manc
    danny87manc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yup, its 4am as I type this and I’m on my side in bed feeling as sick as a dog! My experience is word for word the same as many other posts here... ‘I love pasta.. thought I found the magic replacement (slendier spaghetti).. why am I waking up at 3am feeling so sick.. this is the second time it’s happened in 2 days.. what could be causing it.. oh it’s the devil noodles’. Wouldn’t recommend touching these to anyone
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yup, its 4am as I type this and I’m on my side in bed feeling as sick as a dog! My experience is word for word the same as many other posts here... ‘I love pasta.. thought I found the magic replacement (slendier spaghetti).. why am I waking up at 3am feeling so sick.. this is the second time it’s happened in 2 days.. what could be causing it.. oh it’s the devil noodles’. Wouldn’t recommend touching these to anyone

I do believe that people have real reactions to these (often associated with eating more than one serving at a time), but plenty of people do eat these and don't experience this kind of reaction. I eat them relatively frequently and have never experienced any gastric distress afterwards.
  • bignose2
    bignose2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Old post I know but thought I would add,
    My daughter had tried these Barenaked noodles 15kcal & said good for diet. Was OK originally.
    I had half a packet, not great, but OK & did not think anything more.
    following morning really bad stomach ache, just bearable but as the day went on I could not get any relief, constant bad pain. 7pm I was phoning 111 & considering A&E (in the middle of Omnicron so must have been bad)
    No sickness or the other end, just terrible stomach cramps. Minutes before the doctor phoned back at 8pm I had paracetamol and for some reason instantly felt sick & threw up the water I had drunk that day (sorry if TMI) instant 90% relief and whilst talking to the doc said I was feeling a lot better, few hours after was OK, still 2 days later feel delicate but no really pain. I had not dreamt it was the noodles just food poising but you know when you think of a food it makes you feel queesy & thinking back they did, I mentioned to my wife which was handy as following day my Daughter phoned to say she was in great pain, my wife mentioned this & she had had them the night before (I have not seen her in weeks). She is now waiting for an ambulance as in so much discomfort. Pharmacy treatments having little or no effect. Would hate to slate a product without proof but I just think too much of a coincidence & now read a lot have similar issues.
    I have not had a day off sick for over 20 years (lucky I know but to ref. I do not have a delicate stomach)