Cholesterol? They have a set limit, what if you go over?

Options
My question is when you eat certain meats you can go over your recommended cholesterol intake. Does that affect your body and raise your "bad" cholesterol levels or is it something completely different?

I am breastfeeding and I need to eat 2200 calories a day, but if I do this on a regular diet of meat and veggies I will go over my recommended cholesterol and I do not want to wreck havoc on my body. I was vegan before my pregnancy but I want to try a keto diet now and find it very limiting and depressing on a vegan diet and chose to go back to meats, but high cholesterol runs in my family and I do not want to get it. Any answers?

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    My question is when you eat certain meats you can go over your recommended cholesterol intake. Does that affect your body and raise your "bad" cholesterol levels or is it something completely different?

I am breastfeeding and I need to eat 2200 calories a day, but if I do this on a regular diet of meat and veggies I will go over my recommended cholesterol and I do not want to wreck havoc on my body. I was vegan before my pregnancy but I want to try a keto diet now and find it very limiting and depressing on a vegan diet and chose to go back to meats, but high cholesterol runs in my family and I do not want to get it. Any answers?

not unless you have a genetic cholesterol issue then you shouldnt have to worry too much about it. but if it runs in your family then you may want to get checked because I have a genetic cholesterol issue that is hereditary and yes I have to do a low fat/ low cholesterol diet because it raises my cholesterol. for those without the issues I have or the genetic issue then no theres no worry.even if it runs in your family you can still get it. talk to your dr and have him /her run tests and see
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Agreed. For most, cholesterol in food you eat has no bearing on blood cholesterol levels. For a small minority, dietary cholesterol matters. Your dr can help you determine if it applies.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol does not affect blood serum levels
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Talk to your dr? Where did you come up with the 2200 number?
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    You left vegan because it was limiting, but isn't Keto limiting as well?

It sounds like she was vegan, added keto, found that combination limiting, and so reintroduced meat. Both ways of eating require mindfulness and restraint; putting them together sounds exhausting.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol does not affect blood serum levels

it does in those with health issues like familial hypercholesterolemia and other health issues. people who have issues with their liver can also have issues with cholesterol from food causing their cholesterol to go up. losing weight can also cause cholesterol to go up for a short time as well.