Has anyone tried Bikram or Hot yoga?

Replies

• gilly88
    gilly88 Posts: 114
    Options
    Has anyone tried Bikram or Hot yoga?
  • hasselh
    Options
    I tried it two weeks ago for the first time and LOVED IT! I enjoy discipline and fast pace so it was
    what I look for. My sister is the opposite and she hated it - she enjoys the relaxing, meditative yoga (that puts me to sleep). I also love the heat and sweating....the 90 minutes flew by.
    I was visiting family out of town and since my return home, I have not found a studio within reasonable distance to take another class. If there was, I would be there at least once a week.
  • lionessd
    lionessd Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My normal practice is Vinyasa flow yoga but I tried Bikram and didn't care for it to much. I like the variety in Vinyasa yoga. If you have a good Vinyasa teacher he/she will make you sweat! I say try Bikram with an open mind, it won't hurt!

Do you currently have a practice now?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Some people love it, some hate it. Give it a try. If you don't like it, don't dismiss yoga. Here's a breakdown of the normal "kinds"

Most yoga classes are Hatha:
    Ashtanga: follows a sequence in a rather warm room (about 90-92 degrees), as you gain ability, you can do other sequences. Generally has the quickest improvement rate - also has the most injuries.
    Bikram - is a type of Ashtanga - room is hotter (95-105) - sequence is different.
    Iyengar: use of props helps students find the correct pose. A lot of detail is paid to alignment - poses are held for a longer period of time. Has off shoots, just like Ashtanga - good for those with injuries or the perfectionist
    Vinyasa flow - somewhere between Ashtanga and Iyengar - class focus is on standing poses, moving from one to the next - good for those that like to feel they got a workout in.
    Viniyoga: a gentle yoga - alignment isn't as important - poses are not held for very long and you move in and out of them - good for the beginner and those with injuries

Kundalini yoga is not a type of Hatha - more chanting and breath work

Those are most the ones you will see out there. Let me know if you encounter one I haven't mentioned - that you want to try.

:bigsmile: enjoy :bigsmile:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Speaking of yoga check this out:
    http://www.elysiumyoga.com/cals.html
  • clk238
    clk238 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    lovelovelove hotyoga. i usually do it as a "break day" or relaxation treat for myself- or when I'm feeling really sore from the gym it is a great place to really limber up. nice to see the baove link says that it's burning a lot of calories, though, as much as a 60 min jog? not sure about that, but the hot room does bring your heart rate up, which is always good.

give it a try. don't be intimidated if you've overwhelmed at first, the heat can be a bit too much, just step out if you need to and go back for more- you'll get used to the heat! Also the poses are usually pretty good for all levels. I've got some major lack-of-flexibility issues and I still can participate fully!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Yea the calories burned seemed a little high.... to me.
  • amy_ryan
    amy_ryan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love it...I have been doing it for a few months and am hooked. I wear my heart rate monitor and can attest that you get both cardio and strength/flexibility building benefits. I think the calorie burn estimates on many websites are often somewhat exaggerated, but it is still impressive. I tend to burn between 375-500 (I think it varies depending on the heat/humidity and the instructor), which is not bad given that I am relatively small. I would encourage anyone to try it - it is challenging! You will love it or hate it, nothing between.
  • gilly88
    gilly88 Posts: 114
    Options
    great, thanks everyone!
    think i will give it a go - esp since calorie burn is pretty good !