Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Alcohol: Toxic in any amount, or beneficial in moderation, or does it depend on the person?

Options
Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
Would love to see any conclusive meta-studies, or even peer-reviewed research that shows the science is still inconclusive.

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Tried the whole 1 glass of wine a day for about a month or so; just felt wrong/weird.
    LFTs (AST actually) went up a bit to back it up; stopped because I feel better not drinking. Nothing wrong once in a blue moon in moderation of course
  • Cleosweetie
    Cleosweetie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks Orphia for creating this board! I've been following the discussion on the other boards; it is an interesting one.

Here are my random thoughts:

If I hear that a person "drinks every day," my immediate reaction upon hearing that is that that person is veering very close to having a potentially problematic relationship with alcohol. I suppose there's always going to be a little old lady out there who truly does have just one 5 ounce glass of sherry in the evening, but my suspicion is that she would be the exception, rather than the rule. For the daily drinker, it's usually more than one drink, sometimes way more.

But I am open to hearing differing opinions about this.

And since we're citing studies, my understanding was always that per the federal government dietary guidelines, for women, drinking more than seven drinks per week (5 ounces counting as one glass of wine) puts you in the "heavy drinker" category. https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/appendix-9/

Is the "7 drinks per week" guideline in dispute? Perhaps some would say that it is too much-- and in order to be a "moderate drinker," it really should be fewer drinks than 7.

Once again, I'd love to hear others' views on this.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic! I have heard/read more than one doctor recently say that alcohol in any amount is a carcinogen, and while they might have a drink on a special occasion they stopped drinking otherwise and suggest folks cut it out entirely. I'll be interested to see if anyone knows where this new trend comes from. (I understand there have been previous times in pop history where alcohol was demonized - I just mean the latest wave of tee-totaling doctors I've been seeing)

Yet many traditional diets (including the Blue Zones) include a regular daily serving of wine or beer.

And many of my older Italian-American and German-American relatives lived into their 90's and while they never got sloshed, had a daily glass or mug.

I wonder if this is the same sort of "data" as that WHO report that made bacon a carcinogen?
  • Cleosweetie
    Options
    @kinny72 -- thanks for weighing in! Good points. I do agree that it's all very relative. On my husband's side of the family, you're "a drinker" if you have two glasses of wine in one sitting. (Me.) Whereas in a circle of some really good family friends, they're cracking open champagne at 10am if it's a "special occasion." (Amazingly, there's always a special occasion.) And then they drink for most of the day.

Now that you mention it, I guess the people around me are more on either end of the spectrum -- hardly ever drink at all, or it's 2 min when they do drink.

I just know that I was really shocked to hear that 8 glasses of wine a week = heavy drinker.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    @kinny72 -- thanks for weighing in! Good points. I do agree that it's all very relative. On my husband's side of the family, you're "a drinker" if you have two glasses of wine in one sitting. (Me.) Whereas in a circle of some really good family friends, they're cracking open champagne at 10am if it's a "special occasion." (Amazingly, there's always a special occasion.) And then they drink for most of the day.

Now that you mention it, I guess the people around me are more on either end of the spectrum -- hardly ever drink at all, or it's 2 min when they do drink.

I just know that I was really shocked to hear that 8 glasses of wine a week = heavy drinker.

Oh yeah, I agree. I knew the rec for women was one drink a day, but I didn't realize there was so little wiggle room in there!
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My thought is that moderate alcohol is somewhat helpful for some issues (like heart health) while somewhat bad for other issues (like some cancers). I haven't seen reputable doctors telling people to start drinking if they don't already.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Lethal Dose studies would be the best bet to minimize bias. I've found a number of epidemiological studies, but no general physiological studies that aren't heavily biased.
  • Cleosweetie
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I have seen some studies claiming that certain alcoholic drinks are beneficial in moderation, but IIRC it was other micronutrients in the drinks themselves which provided the benefits, not the alcohol itself (I could be wrong on this one - don't have any studies at hand to quote/link).

Thanks for weighing in, @AnvilHead. I've seen these articles as well. However, within the last year there have been several "expose" type of articles written about how the studies touting the beneficial effects of alcohol were funded in part by the alcohol industry!

• Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options

So I was browsing this thread and got kind of curious about what my alcohol intake per week actually is. Of all my friends, I would probably classify myself as drinking the least alcohol -- I try to avoid it because I tend towards being a lightweight, and besides I'm small enough that the extra calories impact me quite a bit more than my friends. I also come from a place that doesn't really have a heavy drinking culture, so even though I live in the USA now, I've never really seen the point of more than a glass in one sitting, max two if it's a special occasion.

This week wasn't so bad -- 2.6 standard drinks. 4-5 drinks last week. 6 drinks week before that when I was on vacation. Not yet a heavy drinker that week, but not really that far off either. Which makes me realize, by this standard, virtually everyone I know that isn't a tee-totaler is a heavy drinker. It's not necessarily *that* surprising since we're all in our 20s/early 30s, but really makes me kinda worried for some people I know who definitely drink 3x more than I do on my heaviest week.
  • Cleosweetie
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thanks for your input, @Anvilhead!

On a different note, the Lancet just published this study:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/23/health/global-alcohol-study/index.html

It says that at the end of the day, no amount of alcohol is good for you.

• Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    There’s a good analysis of the Lancet paper here.

https://medium.com/wintoncentre/the-risks-of-alcohol-again-2ae8cb006a4a