Egg Plant

Options
kardsharp
kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
I love these little vegies.

DO you have any healthy suggestions on how to cook them?

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Fried in a batter, or just sliced and boiled.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Boiled!? @TonyB0588 is that good??? I like them whole roasted or sliced into strips, baked, and topped with feta cheese
  • brisadeldesierto
    brisadeldesierto Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    For anyone who likes to try 'ethnic' food:

Eggplant dip (Mtabbal) (serves ~ 4 people)

1 kg eggplants
    4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    4 tbsp tahini sauce (or replace half the tahini sauce by neutral yogurth)
    1 big clove of garlic, crushed on a mortar or finely chopped
    salt

Roast the eggplants with skin, ideally on a grill. Second best option is directly over the burner (not the electric one) on low. If not, an oven works as well. You can replace the smoky flavour with liquid smoke, or by using wood chips in the oven. Once they lose their inside structure they're done. Then remove the skin by cutting them on half with a knife then using a spoon to take out the flesh. Make a mash with a fork (not a blender, that just makes them wattery). Add the rest of the ingredients and that's it.

Optional spices: zaatar (mix of dried spices) or a mix of sumac (if you find), thyme, cumin, coriander, fennel seeds, sesame seeds.

For finishing on top, all optional: touch of olive oil, fresh parseley, pomegranate seeds/molasses, chopped green onions, paprika.

Great dip to go with raw cucomber/carrots/celery sticks since it's packed with flavour.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    Baba ghanoush
    https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/baba_ganoush_44415

Miso glazed eggplant
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/japanese-miso-glazed-eggplant-nasu-no-dengaku.html

Pasta alla norma (roast or air fry the aubergine instead of deep frying)
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2016/jun/16/how-to-cook-the-perfect-pasta-alla-norma

I also like to slice rounds, toss with a little olive oil and grill on a cast iron griddle pan.
  • kardsharp
    Options
    Thank you. I have new ways to cook that cute little purple veg.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    From last week: grilled garlicy eggplant (not yet "done" in this picture). Granulated garlic powder, salt, pepper to taste, basted with oil, then grilled. Simplicity.

i7k5cpms5bsd.jpg
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    laurabini wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2016/jun/16/how-to-cook-the-perfect-pasta-alla-norma

Pasta alla norma is delicious! I usually make it very light and cook the aubergine in the tomato sauce and ditch the cheese.

another great pasta sauce is aubergine, shiitake mushrooms and lentil. Just chop everything and cook it on low heat till it's nice and soft and add fresh or chopped tomatoes and lots of garlic :)

Pasta alla norma, seconded. Used a Jamie Oliver recipe, quite good.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    Some version of ratatouille is my favorite way to eat eggplant! (I would dial down the cheese in this recipe.)
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    For the best pasta sauce ever (in my opinion anyway) chop in small cube (the smaller the better, it will get a nice caramelization): eggplant, bell pepper, onion, zucchini or yellow squash, garlic, a few cherry/grape tomatoes, splash of oil, salt and pepper. In the oven at 400 for about 20-30 minutes. Blend all the veggies together, adjust seasonings and serve with pasta. It’s amazing!

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    laurabini wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »

Pasta alla norma is delicious! I usually make it very light and cook the aubergine in the tomato sauce and ditch the cheese.

another great pasta sauce is aubergine, shiitake mushrooms and lentil. Just chop everything and cook it on low heat till it's nice and soft and add fresh or chopped tomatoes and lots of garlic :)

Interesting to see you call it aubergine!! I knew there was another word for it.
  • meagan8376
    meagan8376 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Eggplant cut in slices then dipped in eggs then dipped in seasoned breadcrumbs. Put pasta sauce on top and shredded cheese. Then bake in oven.

Vegetarian lasagna.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Slice thick, salt and allow to sweat out the bitterness. Grill or roast and allow to cool. Use instead of bread for vegetable sandwiches :)

How does salt sweat out the bitterness....what is the method?
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Slice thick, salt and allow to sweat out the bitterness. Grill or roast and allow to cool. Use instead of bread for vegetable sandwiches :)

How does salt sweat out the bitterness....what is the method?

One way...lay the slices on a sheet pan lined with paper towels or clean dish towels. Sprinkle kosher salt on both sides of the eggplant. Top with more towels and put another sheet pan on top to help press liquid out of the slices. Let sit for an hour or two before using.

It's not totally necessary for smaller eggplants or some of the daintier varieties (japanese, etc.) but it helps for larger ones (and especially ones that are big enough to have really visible seeds, etc.)
  • kardsharp
    Options
    I don't salt it at all, I don't find it bitter. Just picked up some Thai egg plant. They are little round things that apparently you can eat raw.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    My "quick and easy" eggplant recipe: dump your cubed eggplant into a pot with a can of diced tomatoes and seasonings--I use minced garlic and onion, oregano, and basil. Simmer until the eggplant is soft. This makes a nice stew that you can eat on its own, over rice, and/or with a protein.

If you're looking for something a bit more complex but a more balanced meal, this is my other go-to eggplant recipe: https://minimalistbaker.com/lentil-eggplant-lasagna/