Does Anyone Just Follow the MPF Macros and That's It?

Options
I keep getting caught up in all these "diets", and wondering if anyone is successful JUST doing what MFP gives you as far as calories/fat/protein/carbs, and then choosing whether or not to eat your exercise calories?

Or is pretty much everyone doing all these diets now?

I would love to just hear following MFP is enough for me because everything else seems so complicated. I already struggle with a lot of food restrictions because of food allergies and sensitives, and it's a bit overwhelming.

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    I just looks at total cals and ensure to get as much protein as possible. Sometimes i peek at sugar stat.

Have lost 25lbs since April
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say I haven’t ever paid attention to macros. I’ve only ever counted calories, but I never struggled with satiety as others have. My struggles have been laziness and a lack of calorie to portion size understanding.

FWIW, I’m down almost 35kg. That’s what works for me, YMMV! I probably should make sure to get enough protein but my hair is shiny and healthy! So, so far so good!

Find what’s sustainable for you and run with it!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I lost weight just fine following the macros and calories given by MFP but adjusted the macros a bit to suit my needs, likes and lifestyle as I went along and still continued to lose weight just fine. I never plateaued. I never felt that I went without. For me, weight loss success or failure boils down how accurately you are logging your calories in and calories out.
  • WestCoastCyclist
    WestCoastCyclist Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have kept the defaults, but only aim for the 20% protein one. (I never have an issue getting a minimum of 30% fat.)

Looking back over the past number of weeks (which have been all over the place in terms of calories, for a number of reasons), it looks like I'm generally having an easier time with a calorie deficit when I'm at 35 - 45% carbs, 35 - 40% fat and 20% protein.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I had my initial success in losing just counting calories, not worrying about macros at all for several months, until I reached the point of reducing my deficit to slow the rate of loss and then I started looking at protein and fat for minimums, quickly determined that the days I even came in marginally below my fat minimum were extremely rare, so I didn't need to worry about it. These days I track calories, protein, and fiber. But it's only the calories that matter to my weight loss. The protein and fiber I track for my health and fitness, not for weight loss.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I adjusted my macros according to the advice in this thread rather than using MFP's defaults, and aimed to hit my calories and protein goal every day while eating what I wanted to eat (within the context of a reasonably balanced/nutritious diet). That's it. Worked great for me and continues to work great for me in maintenance now.

A calorie deficit is what matters for weight (fat) loss. All the "diets" are just different ways to 'trick' you into achieving/maintaining a calorie deficit.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I adjusted my macros according to the advice in this thread rather than using MFP's defaults, and aimed to hit my calories and protein goal every day while eating what I wanted to eat (within the context of a reasonably balanced/nutritious diet). That's it. Worked great for me and continues to work great for me in maintenance now.

A calorie deficit is what matters for weight (fat) loss. All the "diets" are just different ways to 'trick' you into achieving/maintaining a calorie deficit.

This is me too (using those guidelines to set up macros). I look at protein and fat as minimums, and fit in a beer or ice cream or chocolate as I choose.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks. MFP has me at 1,230 calories which seems low for someone who is 239 pounds, but then my TDEE is around 1,700-ish (last time I checked), which seems a bit high. Maybe I should start around 1,500 and just see how it goes. Definitely still simpler than all of these complicated diets and their restrictions. It got to be SUPER stressful where that was literally all I was thinking about all day, every day.
  • jmf286
    jmf286 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE sounds about right, assuming you aren't doing much exercise. MFP doesn't work off your TDEE (also know as your TEE on some sites) though. It works out what your daily energy use is to maintain your current weight without purposeful exercise (also called Non Exercise Activity Theromgenisis or NEAT) and then deducts 500 calories per day for every pound per week that you selected you wanted to lose when you set up your MFP account. Any purposeful exercise calories can be estimated and you then eat some or all of them back which still leaves you in your selected deficit.

MFP will not give you a daily calorie goal of less than 1200 pounds, whatever weight loss you choose for health/nutrition reasons.

So if you want to eat a bit more you need to either move more or add in exercise (so you can eat your exercise calories back) or you could choose a less aggressive weight loss per week goal.

This might help:

http://fit101.org/the-step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal/

This has lots of useful info:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads#latest
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Ok thanks. MFP has me at 1,230 calories which seems low for someone who is 239 pounds, but then my TDEE is around 1,700-ish (last time I checked), which seems a bit high. Maybe I should start around 1,500 and just see how it goes. Definitely still simpler than all of these complicated diets and their restrictions. It got to be SUPER stressful where that was literally all I was thinking about all day, every day.

The link in AnvilHead's post will talk you through MFP set up versus TDEE. I went with TDEE because my activity level is relatively consistent and I like a set daily target. 1700 for 236lbs seems low to me. When I was 200 and moderately active (I'm also short and middle aged), mine was about 2500. Unless you're laying around doing nothing, I suspect that the 1200 is too low. Maybe give yourself a range for now and reevaluate in several weeks. 1500-1700 that way you can have more on hungry days and less when you don't feel hungry. How tall are you?
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks! I’m 5’6