Sabotage

Options
Just need to vent. I am trying really hard to lose weight and get healthy. Exercise and food focus. Had my breakfast plan for the morning and hubby kept saying we’re in a hurry, then suggests son didn’t eat his oatmeal and I could have it. I end up eating it, when I was going to have a quick protein shake. I didn’t need that breakfast suggestion. Now I feel like crap (high calorie and higher sugar content than what I’ve been having) I know it’s my fault, but I can’t help feeling like I was sabotaged, especially because 10 minutes before I had told him I felt like I had improved the last couple of days. I find out it had extra stuff added in. Not sure why he didn’t eat it himself. I found out he had 3 slices of turkey himself for breakfast. When I tell him to please not make food suggestions for me or influence me he says, “I didn’t make you eat it”.

Replies

• nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I get that feeling; my partner gets away with figurative murder on the diet front and can still lose weight, so I have to battle temptation a lot in order to eat or discuss food with him. I find it helpful to periodically check in with him about how I'm doing ("Crap, should've have had cheat night with sushi last week, I didn't lose/gained ... looks like I can't get away with cheating") or will just ask for his help and support in staying on track outright. Usually that gets around the defensiveness; still not perfect but it's working okay for now. Maybe give something like that a try? Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    You obviously know that you weren’t forced to eat it. It’s the fact that he pressured you to eat unhealthily when you are trying not to. Even if wasn’t a malicious suggestion it was a thoughtless suggestion. Next time, acknowledge what he said but don’t follow what he says.

Oatmeal is unhealthy?

If it was the quick sugar loaded kind the kids love, then definitely yes :wink:

How so?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    You obviously know that you weren’t forced to eat it. It’s the fact that he pressured you to eat unhealthily when you are trying not to. Even if wasn’t a malicious suggestion it was a thoughtless suggestion. Next time, acknowledge what he said but don’t follow what he says.

Oatmeal is unhealthy?

If it was the quick sugar loaded kind the kids love, then definitely yes :wink:

Why?
  • dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Ultimately it comes down to you. You made the decision to eat the oatmeal, feel disappointed with yourself and are deflecting your feelings toward your husband. Yes, it was a bit insensitive to suggest eating the oatmeal, but he didn't spoon feed it into you. Log this down to experience and move on.
  • dolcezza25
    dolcezza25 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You've got to be stronger than that - and while he could be more supportive, this is hardly sabotage.