Meeting the minimum calorie requirements on MFP?

Options
Hi all. I had a Roux-N-Y (gastric bypass) in July 2006. I began at 244 and got down to 115. Life struggles, 12 years, and 3 close family deaths later (my mom, dad, and little sister), I got back up to 196 pounds. I started getting serious with MFP (which I had stopped doing for a couple years) again in April 2018 and am now down to 180 with a long way to go. However, MFP won't give me the 5 week prediction or give me credit for completing my daily journal because on most days I have a really hard time meeting 1000 calories. Over the past 12 years I feel like my "pouch" has stretched and I was almost able to eat as much as everyone with a normal stomach. But thanks to the past several months of being diligent on MFP, my pouch seems to have shrunken back down and I just can't eat very much anymore. It is counter-productive for me to force myself to eat when I'm not hungry or to eat higher calorie foods just so I can meet the 1000 cal limit. What do you guys do to solve this problem?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You could consider using a trending app like Happy Scale or Libra.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I foresee an end to this thread.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Without going down the road of healthy intakes and liability and all that, which is basically what this thread is daring to do...

Everyone should be, at the very least, cognizant of minimum nutrient intake for health. Getting sufficient nutrients is REALLY hard to do without significant supplementing on such a low intake.

IMO, follow the guidance of your doctor and eat for bigger-picture health.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

The vast majority of people who say they are fine/full eating less than 1200 cals for extended periods are not using a food scale consistently, have unlogged days, etc. (In other words, they're not). Some are very small, sedentary, and/or older. Some have undiagnosed medical issues. A few are allowing the high of being a "virtuous" eater to overpower their body asking for more fuel.

I am unsure of how you know what the vast majority of people eating under 1200 are doing. I think you are right that some of them are definitely eating more than they realize. I am not sure you can count on the fact they are eating more each and every day though especially on days they log 900ish.

Eating too little is not as hard for some people as it is for others.
  • JennaSpier
    JennaSpier Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses. You've given me a lot to think about and some good advice. Thank you and good luck to everyone in their health and fitness goals! <3