Who has read the book Skinny B***h?!?! I had to STOP!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I thought it had a few good points. FOr example, did you know we are the only mammals that as adults drink milk??? Think about it! Also, Splenda is 2% arsenic! WTF?!?! I have since switched to Truvia and usually go for soy or almond milk.
    But the language and bashing of non-vegans was a bit much.
  • bybybelly
    Options
    I was appalled by the language. I am no Saint but there are certains words even I won't use. But the meat chapter was profound and I get it and the hormones in Milk....feel guilty about giving my girls dairy now b/c I don't want them sprouting boobs at 6 years old. Just confused and wasn't sure I wanted to finish the read. Thanks for the insight, friends!

The book is called skinny *****. It has a 'swear word' in the title, did it surprise you there would be more inside the book?

No....I knew there would be more of the title in there but wasn't expecting a few c-words and p***y's to be thrown in there. Some words are going to far! My opinion, for what its worth!
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I didn't like it either.

I'm not a prude but the cursing was so prevalent, it seemed forced, like an adolescent trying to be cool.

But the deal breaker for me, the thing that made me ditch that read was their recommendation to stop drinking coffee, LOL. Not going to happen. They went on and on about how bad one's breath smells after drinking coffee (again, like an annoying high school girl)...umm brush your teeth, problem solved.

I don't remember much else from that book.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Some people might not be a fan of the language or tone of the book, but it's full of good information that you can fact-check for yourself on MANY science and medical sites.

~signed,
    Your Nutritionist, who just happens to be vegan.

33 percent of US is obese... that doesn't come from brussels sprouts.

I don't think it's from boneless skinless chicken breasts either. Excess processed carbs are much more likely to be the culprit, IMO.

That lean chicken breast may not make you fat in reasonable portions, but it's got every bit as much cholesterol as similar cuts of beef, pork and lamb. You might avoid obesity and still succumb to heart disease. I totally agree with you about refined and processed carbs. Whole grains, legumes and starches are the way to go, without added fats.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I havent read that but I do like the "Skinny B*tch in the Kitch" cookbook. lol I should read Skinny B*tch tho.
  • AmberYZ
    AmberYZ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I couldn't stomach more than half of it. It was just too sickening how the more food the writers bashed and 'willed themselves to forgo', the snobbier the writing became.
  • tragicpixie
    Options
    I read it and didn't like it. As someone who has suffered from serious bouts of anorexia followed by bulimic starve-binge-purge cycles, I found it to be full of disordered eating tips (which I am already a pro at) and totally biased.

It's biased in the "science" used to prove fasting is good and overstates the impact of being vegan. I have nothing but respect for vegans who can totally maintain their health and a kind diet - that takes discipline and vigilance that I really don't have with food. However, the information in the book is presented in a biased way so it makes it kind of worthless.

I like Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet if you're looking for vegan diets. Also cookbooks in the Super Natural Cooking line and her website 101 Cookbooks are a good resource for vegan and vegetarian recipes.

And while fasting is not bad per-say; the way it's presented in the SB books IS bad. It can easily lead to very destructive patterns.
  • paulahhhh
    paulahhhh Posts: 283
    Options
    I read the whole thing like 2 or so years ago...
    It's basically telling everyone to go vegan. I would totally go vegan if I can find ways to get other nutrients & vitamins w/o taking in supplements.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I heard the book was basically vegan propaganda labeled as a diet book. I am all for good treatment of animals and I buy cage-free meat/eggs and cheese when I can. But I'm not going vegan.
  • av8rblond
    av8rblond Posts: 140
    Options
    I have the book, the cookbook and the workout DVD"s...they were a gift from a girlfriend. Like all other books I have taken what pertains to me and let the other stuff go. It has all gotten to be taken with a grain of very low sodium salt....lol