Problems with Macro Logging...

Options
I’ve been attempting to follow my macros. I paid for a plan from IIFYM after coming off of Weight Watchers and eating a lower carb diet with a nutritionist. The amount of sheer calories and protein that was recommended for me to eat was staggering (2140 calories 140g of protein). I lowered everything and I’m still struggling to get protein in. After every time I eat, I find myself stuffed and uncomfortable trying to eat this amount that will supposedly help me to lose weight. But I’m not seeing crazy results as of yet.

I would really appreciate any helpful suggestions at this point. I’m tired of feeling stuffed all the time. Eating is no longer fun. I’m heavier than I was a month ago and extremely uncomfortable and nothing I do seems to take the weight off. Help!!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Well you haven't given us much to go on.

Male? Female? How much weight do you need to lose to get into a healthy weight range?

How long have you been trying this plan?

That is a reasonable goal if you are obese.
  • stephinator214
    stephinator214 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I’m female, 26, 5’4”. Need to lose about 50lbs. I’ve been trying this about 3 weeks.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I’m female, 26, 5’4”. Need to lose about 50lbs. I’ve been trying this about 3 weeks.

how much exercise do you do?
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

It's a marathon not a sprint, get use to not seeing results every week.

From what you've given for info, I'd suggested you learn more about nutrition.
  • stephinator214
    edited August 2018
    Options

I try to get into the gym at least 3 days per week. I’m a teacher so I move a lot at work too. Generally when I’m working out I prefer to go to kickboxing or circuit training classes. If I’m going on my own I’ll lift and do a bit of cardio.

I stopped Weight Watchers last November because it stopped being effective. To this point I am down about 30lbs. This process took about a year.

I tried working with the nutritionist and found that the plan I was given was not working for me and she refused to try something different. This was over the course of several months.

The IIFYM diet has been more food than I have ever consistently eaten in my life and I’m more uncomfortable than I’ve ever been. I am struggling with the protein. I have been trying it for the las 3 weeks with no change aside from feeling crappy, feeling bloated, feeling stuffed, and feeling irritated that my weight has either stayed the same or gone up.

I am more than used to not seeing results every week. It’s the fact that it has been months upon months since I have seen real results, which is why I am posting here.

I have been reading nutrition articles and speaking to professionals for years to try to learn as much as possible and I haven’t yet found the right answer, which is why I came onto the message boards for help or some kind of advice. I was hoping some people would have some insight and I didn’t want to type a novel in the initial post because most people probably wouldn’t read it.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You've done and stopped WW because it wasn't working for you.
    You're now trying to follow macros but it's not working for you.

How about following calories?

Start with the simplest approach and go from there. Eat what you want and what you like within your calorie goal. Be patient but consistent and see how things go. Don't be affraid to tweak what you eat or when you eat it to find what you like or feel better doing, as long as you stay at/under your calorie goal.

But more to your question...
    Try eating a smaller volume of food and/or less fluids with your food. You can focus on calorie dense foods as needed to help keep the calories up.

Additionally, the protein issue just takes practice. I find that pre-logging my foods in MFP helps as I can see how the numbers add up for the day, then make substitutions as necessary to make the numbers work out.
  • stephinator214
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    You've done and stopped WW because it wasn't working for you.
    You're now trying to follow macros but it's not working for you.

How about following calories?

Start with the simplest approach and go from there. Eat what you want and what you like within your calorie goal. Be patient but consistent and see how things go. Don't be affraid to tweak what you eat or when you eat it to find what you like or feel better doing, as long as you stay at/under your calorie goal.

But more to your question...
    Try eating a smaller volume of food and/or less fluids with your food. You can focus on calorie dense foods as needed to help keep the calories up.

I actually was just speaking to a trainer at the gym and he suggested the same thing to me. I thought that counting calories was basically Weight Watchers which is why I wasn’t really running to do that. I really want to lose fat and gain some muscle but maybe you’re right that calories would be most effective right now. Thank you for the suggestion
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Study up on foods that are higher in protein and take time to read labels in the grocery store.

I looked at your diary. You seem to eat very little in the way of produce and a lot of higher fat foods. By looking at labels and making an effort to cut down on the higher fat stuff, you'll have room for more protein and may feel a bit better. You have a lot of days where your fat grams are in the 90s, which means having less room for protein in your diet and that may be what makes you feel so full. Some people feel more full on fat instead of on protein.

Two changes I would make, just looking at your diary:

Fairlife milk for both almond milk and cream
    Mix protein powder in with your greek yogurt

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    This site does a pretty decent job of estimating calories for your stats, goal (don't pick more than 0.5-1 lb/wk unless you are significantly obese), and activity level (I believe "teacher" is listed as an example for one of the activity levels)...I'd suggest trying that. If it's a day that you do get out and do some cardio, then log it and get an estimate of additional calories you should eat (probably a better option then the IIFYM method for you since it doesn't sound like you are consistent with the exercise). For protein, 0.8-1 g/lb goal weight should be more than adequate. 140g is likely much more than you need.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I try to get into the gym at least 3 days per week. I’m a teacher so I move a lot at work too. Generally when I’m working out I prefer to go to kickboxing or circuit training classes. If I’m going on my own I’ll lift and do a bit of cardio.

I stopped Weight Watchers last November because it stopped being effective. To this point I am down about 30lbs. This process took about a year.

I tried working with the nutritionist and found that the plan I was given was not working for me and she refused to try something different. This was over the course of several months.

The IIFYM diet has been more food than I have ever consistently eaten in my life and I’m more uncomfortable than I’ve ever been. I am struggling with the protein. I have been trying it for the las 3 weeks with no change aside from feeling crappy, feeling bloated, feeling stuffed, and feeling irritated that my weight has either stayed the same or gone up.

I am more than used to not seeing results every week. It’s the fact that it has been months upon months since I have seen real results, which is why I am posting here.

I have been reading nutrition articles and speaking to professionals for years to try to learn as much as possible and I haven’t yet found the right answer, which is why I came onto the message boards for help or some kind of advice. I was hoping some people would have some insight and I didn’t want to type a novel in the initial post because most people probably wouldn’t read it.

If you're fairly active then that calorie amount might be ok. See what the scales do after 4- 6 weeks
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you've been scammed. Nutrition for healthy adults isn't that complicated. But now you're here, and you can start fresh. To lose weight, you have to eat less than you burn. If you're gaining weight, you're eating more than you burn. For a woman your height, 90-100 grams of protein seems sufficient. You can eat whatever you want, just less. Tighten up your logging, and be patient.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

...So unless you have a thyroid issue (ask your doctor) you're not accurately tracking and that is why you're not losing weight. Sneaking in items like cake or this or that... doesn't work.. Oh I walked for 20 mins today I can have pizza... no, no you can't. I'm not saying this is you, but it could be... IDK details and anytime I see stuff like this, this is normally the case...

2140 calories might be too much for the OP regardless of logging accuracy/metabolic condition. IIFYM, I believe, pre-counts in exercise calories.. so if you told it that you planned to exercise a certain amount (and then you don't), it will have you eating too much. 2140 calories is a fairly high amount for a female that isn't regularly exercising (previous post mentioned that they "try" to go to the gym 3x per week).