Does Anyone Just Follow the MPF Macros and That's It?

Options
2»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I reduced carbs a bit and upped fat a bit during weightloss, but now in maintenance, I'm pretty close to the default.

I had lost weight before, but never been able to keep it off. So yes, of course cutting out the fads made it possible to stick to an appropriate amount of calories.

You hear about what people talk about, and people love to talk about exciting things, and "I'm just eating a little less and moving a little more" isn't what normal people would call exciting. Accepting mundanity and making everyday life enjoyable, means success.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My username is purely for comedic value :) But I really do appreciate your kind words and all the help.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    My username is purely for comedic value :) But I really do appreciate your kind words and all the help.

Good to know. All the best.
  • dolcezza25
    dolcezza25 Posts: 136 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You hear about what people talk about, and people love to talk about exciting things, and "I'm just eating a little less and moving a little more" isn't what normal people would call exciting. Accepting mundanity and making everyday life enjoyable, means success.

THIS! Almost six years ago I lost 35lbs and 4 dress sizes (a lot for my 4'10.5" frame) and people often asked what I did to achieve this. The confusion, disinterest and let-down was evident all over their face when I respond with "I worked out like a beast 5 days a week, and counted my calories while eating very clean".

They wanted a secret or a magic trick.

• happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I lost almost forty pounds only paying attention to calories. I tried Whole30 in the beginning as a 'kick-start' and while the weight does shed off on low carb I also wanted to murder everybody and couldn't exercise. Lately I've been paying attention to macros (I just use the MFP defaults and it's fine) to increase satiety because I've been cutting calories more aggressively so I can relax more during a few trips I have coming up. But I don't follow them to the letter, just as a general guide, ie, if I have 200 calories left and haven't hit my carb goal, I'll use that 200 calories for something carb-heavy.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I eat at or slightly under my allowed calories. That's it. I *try* to get a certain amount of protein each day so I don't feel crappy. Some days I fail at that.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Re exercise calories, I'm your height and have been your weight and couldn't survive without exercise calories.

MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I'm just following the calorie level assigned by MFP (1200) and keeping an eye on my Macros (particularly carbs since my husband is diabetic and we eat the same things). I haven't felt the need to make adjustments because I feel great. I want a plan I can live with forever and these other diets just don't seem sustainable to me indefinitely. I don't want to use a diet to lose a lot of weight and then gain it all back when I stop using the diet. I've lost 19 lbs so far (I adopted an low calorie eating plan in early July, before I joined MFP in late July).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I follow my food preferences and a minimum protein budget. This happens to align almost exactly with MFP macros with slightly higher carbs and slightly lower fat. I have lost more than 100 lbs. I also eat back my exercise calories.