2 months in no results

Options
leanneconnolly975
leanneconnolly975 Posts: 9 Member
edited August 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Hi all:)
Just would like a few opinions on the following!
So In June I weighed 9st 2lbs (this was after an illness so was probably due to that).
I started exercising 5 days a week mid June with home workouts lasting approx 30 mins (just light stuff to get my fitness levels back).
1st July I started CrossFit 4 mornings a week 1 hour a class and have kept this up consistently. I feel myself getting stronger and i can run for longer than I ever could so I know something’s working. I also swim for half an hour (at least 500m) 5-6 days a week.
Despite all this I have gained weight (now up to 10st) rather than lose it. I know some may be due to muscle but I also take measurements and I have put 1inch onto my waist as well as in other areas. It’s just really disheartening to see no physical changes appearance wise. My eating is clean 90% of the time and I have taken to weighing everything and also tracking macros (macros are recent so it may help with time, I try 40:30:30)
My diary is open and I know it’s only for the last few days but I eat the same foods everyday anyway.
Any help would be really appreciated!
*im 5’5, 20 year old female and drink 4L water a day. I also have an under-active thyroid but I am on the correct dosage (checked by GP 2 weeks ago)

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    eating clean won't help weight loss. Many clean foods add up to many calories. I try to bake and eat clean where and when I can but many recipes are outside my calorie allowance for a snack/meal. A clean brownie is still 200+ calories even if it's "good fats". A nice quinoa salad can still be 300+ calories for a small portion. Both are fine but you need to allocate those calories to your daily total.

Weight loss is about eating fewer calories (regarless of the type of food) then you use. Is it possible you are eating more as the work outs make you hungrier (this is normal)?

Are you properly weighing and measuring everything you eat and drink and logging it? Did you enter your stats in MFP and use the recommended daily calorie intake?
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I don't see a diary when I click on you.

I don't think there's a problem with using measuring cups and spoons. I've successfully lost all the weight I needed to lose in the past, and that's all I had. Just remember that measurements like 1 cup or 1 tablespoon mean that the top should be absolutely level, not heaped at all. Just run a butter knife over the surface if you see any heaping up.

Get into the habit of measuring and logging every single thing that you put into your mouth and be consistent. You may discover that you need to reduce your calorie goal a little bit in order to lose weight. We're all different, and just because one person can lose on 1400 calories per day doesn't mean another person can. You might have to set your target calories a little bit lower if you stay consistent for another week or two and see no results. Be cautious: don't go super low calorie. Just cut it by something like 50 to 100 calories per day if you discover you have to cut calories in order to lose weight.

Working out is great, but don't overdo it. It can cause a rise in stress hormones which will cause your appetite to skyrocket.
  • Panini911
    Options
    Just saw your diary. Is 1700 calories a day what MFP recommended for your height, weight and expected weight loss?

You should weight things VS measure. it's just much more accurate.

You may need to be more careful about what enties you are using. Like "Aladdin - Roasted Chicken Breast, 1.5 Each" unless that is really the brand you used, it's best to weigh the chicken raw and use a more appropriate entry by weight.
    Also, did you use any oils during cooking?

You have an entry for one cup of quinoa - generally the measurements for quinoa is in it's raw form. So one cup cooked quinoa would be very different.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    So In June I weighed 9st 2lbs (this was after an illness so was probably due to that).
    I started exercising 5 days a week mid June with home workouts lasting approx 30 mins (just light stuff to get my fitness levels back).
    1st July I started CrossFit 4 mornings a week 1 hour a class and have kept this up consistently. I feel myself getting stronger and i can run for longer than I ever could so I know something’s working. I also swim for half an hour (at least 500m) 5-6 days a week.
    Despite all this I have gained weight (now up to 10st) rather than lose it. I know some may be due to muscle but I also take measurements and I have put 1inch onto my waist as well as in other areas. It’s just really disheartening to see no physical changes appearance wise. My eating is clean 90% of the time and I have taken to weighing everything and also tracking macros (macros are recent so it may help with time, I try 40:30:30)
    My diary is open and I know it’s only for the last few days but I eat the same foods everyday anyway.
    *im 5’5, 20 year old female and drink 4L water a day. I also have an under-active thyroid but I am on the correct dosage (checked by GP 2 weeks ago)

Choose a new goal. Your 20 years old, weight loss is not the number one priority right now because being overweight probably comes with lower health risks.

Focus on how eating healthy and exercising makes you feel. Make a goal to exercise for longer, eat more fruits or vegetables, or hit a personal record in the gym. The numbers will go down with consistency and motivation!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Can you be more specific about what your goal is and what type of results you're looking for?

At 5'5" and if my math is correct 128lbs, you were at a healthy, pretty lean weight. Not to say you can't aim for lower, but maybe more info about the results you are envisioning would help.

How long have you been weighing everything?

When you are already lean, changes (on the scale and in the mirror) will be slow to come and may require more patience and accuracy than we want. But if you have gained 14 lbs in 2 months and didn't want to, you are eating too much. If you haven't been weighing and logging your portions for long, that in itself might get your progress turned back around.
  • Panini911
    Options
    I missed the stats - yes you are already at a heàlthy weight it looks like!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing or measuring everything?
  • RunForPizza88
    RunForPizza88 Posts: 56 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    OP - like you I joined mfp beginning of June at 9stone 2lbs. I’m 5ft 1.
    Today I weigh 8stone 9lbs. Exercise and eating less but not starving. Its slow going but it’s moving.
    As other have said, you are eating too much / making errors on logging calories.