Keto and Cheats

Megdmcda
Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
so first I will tell about my day yesterday, it was the first day of no weight loss, so I assumed the initial water weight loss was done. 13 lbs in 6 days. so yesterday I took my kids to the creek/Park for the day. all I had was 16 oz of protein shake w almond milk. we walk almost every where we go... so it was a 35 min mile walk to the park. we swam in the creek for an hour. then went up to the park to warm up. sat in the sand and played. then we got back down in the creek and swam for another hour and then another 35 min mile walk back home. so by then.. my entire body was sore.. as one I had not walked in like a week and a half due to the lack of energy from the starting week. again all Ive had that day was the protein shake and a bottle of water. so I was quite and hungry and tired. done burned off all calories I consumed plus more than what my daily intake would be. to tired to cook a proper keto meal as they all have to be cooked. so I did my first cheat and just popped in a totinos pizza- pepperoni. obviously not even close to the calorie limit, not even the original limit without all those exercise calories added back. but definitely way over the carb limit. I did stay somewhat good and drank water w it. so anyway I did a bit of research this morning and I seen a couple articles that said a "cheat meal" is ok every once in a while. not a super overboard one. want your thoughts on it from other keto eaters. also wanted to state that my plan is not to stay keto forever but when I get to my halfway mark of my goal to up the carbs some and just switch to low carb dieting so I can have back some of the stuff I like like the breads and pastas and potatoes. but oviously a lot more mindful of the amount I'm eating. so keto eaters only please. your thoughts on all of this. thank you

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Ultimately, it doesn't matter too much. You may gain back some water weight from replenished glycogen, but if you go back to normal keto eating, it will come off. Generally, my refeeds can replenish up to 4-5 lbs and I don't even get much below 50g on my keto days (4 days week).

From a compliance standpoint, this is probably more important that you can do this once in awhile. Being able to sustain a diet is more important that anything else. Now you might get kicked out of ketosis, but that doesn't really matter too much.
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Ultimately, it doesn't matter too much. You may gain back some water weight from replenished glycogen, but if you go back to normal keto eating, it will come off. Generally, my refeeds can replenish up to 4-5 lbs and I don't even get much below 50g on my keto days (4 days week).

From a compliance standpoint, this is probably more important that you can do this once in awhile. Being able to sustain a diet is more important that anything else. Now you might get kicked out of ketosis, but that doesn't really matter too much.

I'm not sure if I did get kicked out, I did gain about two lbs back. but I also think my "girl time" is comeing as well and I usually gain about 5lbs until its done.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Megdmcda wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »

I'm not sure if I did get kicked out, I did gain about two lbs back. but I also think my "girl time" is comeing as well and I usually gain about 5lbs until its done.

Either way, I would just keep chugging along.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    I eat a fairly strict low carb diet (for five or six years now) and my rule of thumb is that anything that adds to my life is allowed. That's going to be different for everyone. For me, off plan eating is rare and usually reserved for occasions. If I was really hungry I'd snack on whatever food I had on hand (meat, nuts, cheese etc.) while I prepared a meal.

Keep at it and you'll find a balance that works for you - anything that allows you to happily and healthfully manage your weight is exactly what you should do.